PDA

View Full Version : Kensei - dodging against him

SethUnleashed
02-11-2017, 02:13 PM
so i've been having some trouble against kensei so i decided to go against a level 3 bot and just let him hit me to test how i could dodge/block/parry/deflect every single one of his attacks and combos and there seems to be something strange happening.
(i am playing as a berserker for this test)

if i remember the closed beta where i played a lot of peacekeeper i cant remember having the same problems with the PK... maybe there is something different when berserker vs kensei are interacting?

im gonna split every attack that seemed odd into its pieces and look at them seperatly

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dawn of the Steel Sun combo (tripple light attack):

first attack: all is good here as its just a normal light attack, can be dodged, parried, blocked and deflected

second attack: here is where it starts to get funky
- if its from the top, everything works normal (same as first attack) its just a bit faster
- if its from left/right, blocking, parrying and deflecting works fine, but doding is odd as the attack seems to follow you WAY more than it should.
- if you dodge into the attack (but not as late as it would be a deflect) the attack would hit you 50%+ of the time and the window of normally dodging it seems smaller than the window to actually deflect it
the animation on this one is also very strange, as the blade is nowhere near my hitbox because i dodged in the opposit side of its movement but at the end of the attack animation i still get hit and slightly staggered.
- if you dodge with the attack-direction it will hit you 80%+ of the time, which would be normal as the attack is still active when your dodge i-frames run out, but SOMETIMES you can still avoid the whole attack, but you need to dodge extremely late (felt similar to a deflect timing)

third attack:
this behaves exactly as the second attack in every way discribed above

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spirit of Inevitability/Form of the Dragon/Doom of the Kensei (Chains that end with a top heavy unblockable)

first attack: all is good here as its just a normal light attack, can be dodged, parried, blocked and deflected

second attack:
this behaves exactly as the second and third attack from "Dawn of the Steel Sun" (as it basically is the same attack as well)

third attack:
this is where the REALLY odd behaviour comes in:
the attack itself is rather slow as it is a top heavy and it is unblockable (as it should be). It can also be dodged or parried normally (the timing is pretty easy on this one)
BUT i have tried to deflect this attack and i couldnt get it to work a single time.

I have tried using early and late timings, i have tried dodging the moment the kensei's guard flashes up but nothing seem to be working and it drives me crazy.
I can hit deflects against basically any bot attack with at least 75%+ success chance, but this one attack just wont comply.

is this intended behaviour that this unblockable is either un-deflectable OR the timing is even smaller than on any other attack?

If anyone can replicate those scenarios and report if they see similar behaviour that would be appreciated.

SupRDeluxe
02-11-2017, 02:42 PM
Why are you trying to deflect that top heavy?

It is unblockable, but you can still interrupt it. Try to just hit the Kensei when he does it with a simple quick light attack, it stops him instantly from finishing the move.
Way easier to do than a deflect. Tho if you really want to deflect it for some reason, then i can't help you there, sorry.

But i must admit that attack is weird, when playing Kensei and doing that attack, i have been on multiple occasion, grabbed like on a shieldbreak grab, during the animation of the top heavy unblockable finisher... Which is from my point of view, weird, since i'm doing an heavy attack and i'm not in guard mode, so a a shieldbreak shouldn't be able to grab me during my animation and cancel it in the middle of it...

I suppose, that what we don't see the animation correctly. I mean the server sees or locates that Kensei in a different way we do. that could explain why you have trouble deflecting it, and why you can shieldbreak someone doing it.

SethUnleashed
02-11-2017, 03:51 PM
im trying to deflect it because it SHOULD be deflactable, but it seems that it isnt...

i normaly wouldnt deflect it in a PvP game, but i'm trying to figure out all the possibilities that i have.

If i dont see the animation correctly against a BOT, then i dont know what is going on ...

Dwel
02-11-2017, 04:34 PM
The top unblockable heavy can be parried, though I rarely see it done.

SethUnleashed
02-11-2017, 04:41 PM
The top unblockable heavy can be parried, though I rarely see it done.

as i wrote in my opening post... that isnt a problem and its as easy to parry as any top-heavy attack...

the deflecting is the part that isnt working as you would expect it to

Warp_11
02-11-2017, 05:05 PM
I can parry his top unblockable pretty often, my problem with Kensei is his ridiculous side dodge.

SethUnleashed
02-11-2017, 05:42 PM
I can parry his top unblockable pretty often, my problem with Kensei is his ridiculous side dodge.

is anyone even reading the OP anymoe?

this post is NOT about parries ... its about DEFLECTS and DODGES with a focus on the top heavy unblockable...

SethUnleashed
02-11-2017, 07:51 PM
after some more testing, it seems that the Kensei's tracking during his combos is a bit too accurate, which explains the problem of dodging the attacks with such a weird consistency

as for the unblockables:

it turns out, EVERY unblockable is also UN-DEFLECTABLE by default ... but its just never explained anywhere.

these kinds of hidden rules need explenation as this is a fighting game where such stuff matters a lot.