PDA

View Full Version : Possible follow ups

Fips-DieGrille
02-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Hey Guys,
I would like to ask you for advice and also to discuss some follow ups.

Guard Break: What i am wondering for example is the follow up after a guard break. I tried it out and it seems that a heavy attack is guaranteed, if you dont do the slowest your character has (for example no top heavy from warden). So is this correct? Because why i always see the pro players make light attacks. Especially warden players do this double light instead of a heavy attack. Does someone know the reason?

Parry: It seems clear you have to follow up with a guard break. Or is there any other idea?

Shield-bash and similars: I always wonder what to do after this. There is nothing guaranteed to hit, right? Its purpose is more setting up the mix-up and pushing people into walls or down the cliffs.

I will edit this thread with your ideas and maybe other moves that need follow-up discussion. Can be in general or character specific,

Thanks alot,

Fips

TheKelvinator77
02-11-2017, 01:18 PM
I have also been wondering this, including that specific question re: the warden's double light. I've started following up parries with gbs too, as they seem the most likely to hit. Against players with worse defence sometimes I'll risk going straight for the heavy though. And I'm still trying to work out how best to take advantage of the shoulder charge/shield bash style attacks if there's not a wall handy. Can sometimes transition from Conqueror's heavy combo into a shield bash into another heavy attack, but sometimes it doesn't quite reach, and they have a bit of a window to block it unless you throw them into a wall anyway. Finding it more useful for getting in a couple of attacks, then forcing them back while you recover stamina and reset than for pressing an advantage.

Blankhere
02-11-2017, 05:25 PM
I always watch their stamina, if they got no stamina and i guardbreak, its a free heavy. If its just a regular guard break you are guaranteed a free light. That doesn't mean you can only get a light because players can feint heavies into and other stuff depending on what you want. Mostly for me it depends on their stamina because if they are low stamina and you get a guard break, I would want to feint a heavy into another guard break to get their stamina entirely gone. For parrying its pretty much the same thing but sometimes you can get a free hit depending on the situation. Shield bash I have no idea what you can do, but from what ive heard there isn't much.

Fips-DieGrille
02-11-2017, 11:46 PM
I always watch their stamina, if they got no stamina and i guardbreak, its a free heavy. If its just a regular guard break you are guaranteed a free light. That doesn't mean you can only get a light because players can feint heavies into and other stuff depending on what you want. Mostly for me it depends on their stamina because if they are low stamina and you get a guard break, I would want to feint a heavy into another guard break to get their stamina entirely gone. For parrying its pretty much the same thing but sometimes you can get a free hit depending on the situation. Shield bash I have no idea what you can do, but from what ive heard there isn't much.

Thank you for your reply.
So the heavy is not guaranteed if they have stamina? because i do this a lot of times and even tried it in practice mode, it always hit. How to avoid it? can it still be parried or dodged maybe?

Shinimas
02-12-2017, 12:15 AM
Wardens follow it up with the double light because it opens up mix up options with shoulder bash or shoulder bash cancel into guard break. Some characters can't do a side heavy after GB, e.g. Raider and Peacekeeper.

Parry: you can't follow up with GB against certain classes. It will never work against Nobushi and I think it won't work against Kensei heavy attacks. If you're a Warden you should be following up with a zone attack against those classes.

Conq's shield bash guarantees a light normally and a heavy if you wallstun them with it. I'm still not sure why the omniblock shield bash sometimes sends enemies flying way back and sometimes it doesn't, but when it does you can't follow it up. Warden's shoulder bash guarantees a double light combo, Nobushi's kick guarantees a bleed follow up... So yeah, those often chain into something.

Fips-DieGrille
02-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Wardens follow it up with the double light because it opens up mix up options with shoulder bash or shoulder bash cancel into guard break. Some characters can't do a side heavy after GB, e.g. Raider and Peacekeeper.

Parry: you can't follow up with GB against certain classes. It will never work against Nobushi and I think it won't work against Kensei heavy attacks. If you're a Warden you should be following up with a zone attack against those classes.

Conq's shield bash guarantees a light normally and a heavy if you wallstun them with it. I'm still not sure why the omniblock shield bash sometimes sends enemies flying way back and sometimes it doesn't, but when it does you can't follow it up. Warden's shoulder bash guarantees a double light combo, Nobushi's kick guarantees a bleed follow up... So yeah, those often chain into something.

Thanks a lot!
I guessed this about the wardens mix up already but it is good to know for sure.
I will try out the rest.