PDA

View Full Version : Is the headshake realastic

Highalt
02-29-2004, 07:11 AM
Hi

i wonder if the real WWII plane's head was shaking when they fire their guns ? or is it exagerated in the game?

Highalt
02-29-2004, 07:11 AM
Hi

i wonder if the real WWII plane's head was shaking when they fire their guns ? or is it exagerated in the game?

SpookyRuben
02-29-2004, 07:22 AM
Headshake was a real occurance in real WW2 battles, but it was your whole body that was shaking. I remember reading in one book were a German fighter group was intercepting some B17's, the flight leader jokingly radioed to his guys that he hoped there teeth were in good condition (because of the "head shake").

Spook

leet_haxxor
02-29-2004, 07:36 AM
Yeas it was leik a tiny earthquake in yuor head rofl

JG6_Oddball
02-29-2004, 08:06 AM
mount a 20MM cananon to the fron of your honda civic and go down the highway at 120mph and fire it 20 plus times and let us know the results http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S!

73GIAP_Milan
02-29-2004, 09:15 AM
Well,

1 thing is for sure, in those days there was done little about pilots comfort, sound-dampening and shake-reduction were just not incorporated in the aircraft..
or very little....

SO, it must have been a real deafening experience to fly, because the engines really roared those days, and when the guns/cannons were fired..well...if they were in front of the cockpit like in the la5, the pilot would go absolutely deaf i think...and no matter where the guns were positioned, he must have really experienced the full effect of the recoil slamming through the airframe..

Only their flying helmet protected them a little from all the noise...

So in my opinion the headshake in IL2 and FB is even a small bit underrated i think...just like the recoil effect on the airspeed..

I've read reports from A10 Thunderbolt II pilots that if they fired that aawesome GAU8 Avenger in the nose for longer than 3 sec. the aircraft almost falls out of the sky...
And from myself: last week i flew a Yak9K in Il2, flew really slow (220KM/U) and fired that 45MM Cannon....my speed slammed back and i crashed..(was about 200M above the ground)...
Tremendous recoil and still don't quite know what happened.. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Regards,

Der Tote Baron a.k.a. SK_Black_Knight....