PDA

View Full Version : Are you satisfied with the game so far?

JeeNiNe
02-08-2017, 06:27 AM
Feel free to share why you are satisfied or dissatisfied with the how the game is shaping up so far.

Karma_Ghost
02-08-2017, 07:02 AM
the game is not even yet out lol

It doesn't have to be. A project doesn't have to be done for someone to have an opinion. OP specifically asked about "how the game is shaping up so far."

Reinborn
02-08-2017, 12:12 PM
The game has, in a way, exceeded my expectations and I love everything about it. The only issue I see is P2P, thus poor connectivity. :nonchalance:

PhYcE-
02-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Been waiting since the announcement in 2015 for this game. After getting my hands on the closed beta I am completely satisfied and can't wait to play more!

Tronny666
02-08-2017, 12:37 PM
No

WinterHt
02-08-2017, 12:45 PM
I am dissatisfied.

Reason is some of the choices made in artistic licence in representation of characters and cultures, as well as perpetuation of falsehoods and myths surrounding the martial realities of these cultures. Another reason is the way character balance is handled, or rather lack thereof.

I never expected a simulation, and I don't ask it to be, but facts and "rule of cool"/popular culture mythos could have been balanced much better than how it is handled.

A great shame though, I really, really wanted to like and support this game, such a cool concept, alas, as far as I'm concerned it ended up also being such a missed opportunity. I think I'll eventually get it when it is in a highly discounted sale.

delta_ubi_897
02-08-2017, 01:10 PM
I am dissatisfied.

Reason is some of the choices made in artistic licence in representation of characters and cultures, as well as perpetuation of falsehoods and myths surrounding the martial realities of these cultures. Another reason is the way character balance is handled, or rather lack thereof.

I never expected a simulation, and I don't ask it to be, but facts and "rule of cool"/popular culture mythos could have been balanced much better than how it is handled.

A great shame though, I really, really wanted to like and support this game, such a cool concept, alas, as far as I'm concerned it ended up also being such a missed opportunity. I think I'll eventually get it when it is in a highly discounted sale.

Actually the representation is blended with balance quite well. The 11th century would be probably the best time frame to work from as all 3 cultures exist in it. Vikings are probably the most accurately depicted as their cold home wouldn't allow for much in the way of armor or weapons so the shoddy axes and shields and leather armor are very much all they had. Knights have very accurate weaponry, but there a little ahead of thetimesin the fact that they're using plate armor rather the chain haulberk of the 11th century. Samurai are also slightly ahead, but in weapons, as in the 11th century they primarily used tactics involving archery, especially on horseback while using money to buy off foot soldiers. So if it were to become any more true to life, samurai win automatically die to their use of archery which wouldn't be very balanced gameplay wise (try chasing down a guy on horseback with as low warlord while getting shot at). Matt Part explains this a little better and shows a fight between the 3 in his newest Game Theorist video.

WinterHt
02-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Except, the setting has nothing to do with 11th century.

Following items from For Honor are post 11th century:
- Longsword
- Katana
- Nodachi
- Naginata
- Halberd/Poleaxe
- Historical material depicting single handed sword + dagger in European martial arts is around 15th century earliest
- Warden's armour is not 11th century, because it isn't any century, it is a weird mish-mash of gambeson, maille and odd looking pieces of plate in ineffectual places
- Lawbringer's armour is 16th century, possibly even 17th
- Orochi's armour is also 16th century in style but with metal replaced with wood, which was apparently abandoned after like 10th century or so But hey, I guess they wanted to reinforce the "lightly protected but very fast" pop culture image of samurai, so they opted not to give them what their armour would realyl be made of : metal.

As for the Vikings being the most accurate looking, apart from perhaps the Warlord, they are worst as far as any accuracy goes. Mail armour was used in a fair amount of commonality in the viking period, and seasoned northern raiders would have it. At the very least they would have thick gambesons (padded cloth armour with many layers of thick cloth that is incredibly difficult to cut with swords). Speaking purely from a design perspective, both danish axe and viking era swords are pretty darn good weapon designs as far as both verstailety and lethalty go, but yes they would be of low utility against later period armour of either knights or samurai. I am not asking it to be a simulation though.

Game theorist's video is utter nonsense, and completely ill informed. It is so much full of it, hard to choose where to begin picking it apart, but I'm sure there'll be some vidoes on youtube that will tear it apart anyway. But don't take it as a source for anything, for everything that is remotely correct in that video, there are like 10 others that is complete nonsense.

Knights & Samurai, at least in their origins, were both cavalry. The game is about foot combat however, so that's a moot point. 11th century is also completely arbitrary, as the game doesn't really focus on a time frame at all. Even if we look at 11th century, knights didn't just wore a shirt of maille and ran into the fray: they would wear a gambeson padding, and mail that cover all their body over it, and finally a helmet. This was however, indeed a less mobile type of armour than later plate suits, opposite of what people tend to think...

Japanese yumi is a fine type of bow, and along with yari (straight bladed thrusting spear), was among the main weapons of samurai. However, it just isn't as powerful European warbows or crossbows. Here is what happens when authentic, full power warbow shot on a authentically made breastplate from shortrange : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej3qjUzUzQg now go figure how effective would the yumi be.

Finally, if the game simulation level of realistic, knights would trample the competition, only samurai could put up a fight but at their peak, knightly equipment was just superior if two would contact in a hypotethical scenario like For Honor. It would eventually come down to skill of individual knight or samurai, but all else benig equal, the knight would emerge the victor more often. I am NOT asking it to be made that way even, I understand this needs to be a fun what if balanced competitive action between 3, and I personally think it isn't quite so.

That video is full of the myths that irk the hell out of me, actually, that video's representation of falsehoods as facts is quite worse than the actual game's choices which had disappointed me.

EDIT: Oh wow... I have just realized that the said abomination of a video is actually sponsored by the Ubisoft! Oh well... just got my concerns confirmed then lol...

Godsplitter1991
02-08-2017, 03:09 PM
It's a video game man. What do you expect? Real life simulator? Oh man, can't wait till I get to the part where i sit on guard duty for a 12 hour shift! Or can't wait till I get the plague and die because nobody ever showered back then. Or how bout the part where I take a dump in a hole, walk through feces/mud and die before I'm 30 because life expectancy and all that good stuff. Also, all of the heroes must be 5 feet tall because of malnutrition, cause you know, history.

tcs1991.ts
02-08-2017, 03:17 PM
Except, the setting has nothing to do with 11th century.

Following items from For Honor are post 11th century:
- Longsword
- Katana
- Nodachi
- Naginata
- Halberd/Poleaxe
- Historical material depicting single handed sword + dagger in European martial arts is around 15th century earliest
- Warden's armour is not 11th century, because it isn't any century, it is a weird mish-mash of gambeson, maille and odd looking pieces of plate in ineffectual places
- Lawbringer's armour is 16th century, possibly even 17th
- Orochi's armour is also 16th century in style but with metal replaced with wood, which was apparently abandoned after like 10th century or so But hey, I guess they wanted to reinforce the "lightly protected but very fast" pop culture image of samurai, so they opted not to give them what their armour would realyl be made of : metal.

As for the Vikings being the most accurate looking, apart from perhaps the Warlord, they are worst as far as any accuracy goes. Mail armour was used in a fair amount of commonality in the viking period, and seasoned northern raiders would have it. At the very least they would have thick gambesons (padded cloth armour with many layers of thick cloth that is incredibly difficult to cut with swords). Speaking purely from a design perspective, both danish axe and viking era swords are pretty darn good weapon designs as far as both verstailety and lethalty go, but yes they would be of low utility against later period armour of either knights or samurai. I am not asking it to be a simulation though.

Game theorist's video is utter nonsense, and completely ill informed. It is so much full of it, hard to choose where to begin picking it apart, but I'm sure there'll be some vidoes on youtube that will tear it apart anyway. But don't take it as a source for anything, for everything that is remotely correct in that video, there are like 10 others that is complete nonsense.

Knights & Samurai, at least in their origins, were both cavalry. The game is about foot combat however, so that's a moot point. 11th century is also completely arbitrary, as the game doesn't really focus on a time frame at all. Even if we look at 11th century, knights didn't just wore a shirt of maille and ran into the fray: they would wear a gambeson padding, and mail that cover all their body over it, and finally a helmet. This was however, indeed a less mobile type of armour than later plate suits, opposite of what people tend to think...

Japanese yumi is a fine type of bow, and along with yari (straight bladed thrusting spear), was among the main weapons of samurai. However, it just isn't as powerful European warbows or crossbows. Here is what happens when authentic, full power warbow shot on a authentically made breastplate from shortrange : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej3qjUzUzQg now go figure how effective would the yumi be.

Finally, if the game simulation level of realistic, knights would trample the competition, only samurai could put up a fight but at their peak, knightly equipment was just superior if two would contact in a hypotethical scenario like For Honor. It would eventually come down to skill of individual knight or samurai, but all else benig equal, the knight would emerge the victor more often. I am NOT asking it to be made that way even, I understand this needs to be a fun what if balanced competitive action between 3, and I personally think it isn't quite so.

That video is full of the myths that irk the hell out of me, actually, that video's representation of falsehoods as facts is quite worse than the actual game's choices which had disappointed me.

EDIT: Oh wow... I have just realized that the said abomination of a video is actually sponsored by the Ubisoft! Oh well... just got my concerns confirmed then lol...

Well first let me preface my statement by saying the game is fantasy. The game is not being sold as a historical simulator. Hence the origin video of the game. Second unless you work for a historical society that represents all three cultures then you are nothing but a Google scholar. Which is an issue in and of itself.

In closing, before you decide to attack something that is clearly fiction....Please bring your empirical evidence to support your claims.

You never shared your credentials. Nor proof of your knowledge outside of Google. Nor did you provide any supporting information.

So not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Gunner11Mendez
02-08-2017, 03:34 PM
The game has, in a way, exceeded my expectations and I love everything about it. The only issue I see is P2P, thus poor connectivity. :nonchalance:

Sorry homie they are not using standard p2p and from someone who took part in alpha tests & last beta I can tell you there were no problems at 1v1 or 2v2 & hardly any at 4v4...

Machine_Diesel
02-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Well I was until what I just saw and read from multiple sources, but after the over the top nerf they did to the peacekeeper, I'm probably not even getting the game anymore. Seriously ubisoft? You listen to people from closed beta who had absolutely no idea how to play the game yet. Most people didn't even you could guard break/counter, so you felt the need to listen to these people and nerf the PK bleeds by around 75%??? Take away one of the only appealing things about the assassin class, I mean, it's not like PK were squishy or anything. Way to force us into a playstyle that wasn't needed. ****, why even play a peacekeeper anymore since every other class for the most part is a better choice. Bleeds are one of the things that kept us alive and gave us a fighting chance in 2v1 situations, but sure, nerf the class to unplayable levels from feedback from clueless people who didn't know how to defend it. I wanted to trust you ubisoft, I wanted to believe this game was going to be everything you promised, the game isn't even out yet and you managed to totally destroy an entire class and playstyle, congratulations. I'll see how it is tomorrow in open, but chances are likely I'm cancelling my gold edition preorder.

Dude_of_Valor
02-08-2017, 04:32 PM
Really looking forward to playing the game. Both single player and 1v1 Duels.

Gunner11Mendez
02-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Well I was until what I just saw and read from multiple sources, but after the over the top nerf they did to the peacekeeper, I'm probably not even getting the game anymore. Seriously ubisoft? You listen to people from closed beta who had absolutely no idea how to play the game yet. Most people didn't even you could guard break/counter, so you felt the need to listen to these people and nerf the PK bleeds by around 75%??? Take away one of the only appealing things about the assassin class, I mean, it's not like PK were squishy or anything. Way to force us into a playstyle that wasn't needed. ****, why even play a peacekeeper anymore since every other class for the most part is a better choice. Bleeds are one of the things that kept us alive and gave us a fighting chance in 2v1 situations, but sure, nerf the class to unplayable levels from feedback from clueless people who didn't know how to defend it. I wanted to trust you ubisoft, I wanted to believe this game was going to be everything you promised, the game isn't even out yet and you managed to totally destroy an entire class and playstyle, congratulations. I'll see how it is tomorrow in open, but chances are likely I'm cancelling my gold edition preorder.

Bro you definitely need to cancel it...nobody wants to play with such a whiny little ***** that is complaining about a BETA BUILD CHARACTER...I was sometimes dominated by good harassing PKs & managed to stave off the guard break, some don't understand the issue...she is capable, and the final build isn't even out yet...please cancel it...toxic player mate

Reaper_Sykko
02-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Feel free to share why you are satisfied or dissatisfied with the how the game is shaping up so far.
ye

Machine_Diesel
02-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Bro you definitely need to cancel it...nobody wants to play with such a whiny little ***** that is complaining about a BETA BUILD CHARACTER...I was sometimes dominated by good harassing PKs & managed to stave off the guard break, some don't understand the issue...she is capable, and the final build isn't even out yet...please cancel it...toxic player mate

You're an idiot and part of the problem. A 75% nerf to bleed dmg wasn't overkill it's a ****ing assassin class idiot and one of its main source of dmg. Enjoy the low player base this game will have in a month, and its because of diots like you who try and justify a game breaking nerf like this. I watched the tournament yesterday, did you? PK are underpowered now. But plz, explain. Since you're so ****ing smart.

tcs1991.ts
02-08-2017, 05:29 PM
You're an idiot and part of the problem. A 75% nerf to bleed dmg wasn't overkill it's a ****ing assassin class idiot and one of its main source of dmg. Enjoy the low player base this game will have in a month, and its because of diots like you who try and justify a game breaking nerf like this. I watched the tournament yesterday, did you? PK are underpowered now. But plz, explain. Since you're so ****ing smart.

The difference between a good player and a great player is a great player can still doing awesome with a class people assume is weak, and that is the beauty of for honor. Just because her bleeds were toned down does not mean she is incapable of holding her own. Just will take slightly more skill. Hey, if you don't possess that skill then I'm sorry to hear that.

HarambeVendetta
02-08-2017, 05:37 PM
It's better than i expected, and i had really big expectations.

Illyrian_King
02-08-2017, 05:40 PM
I like concept, the graphics, the combat system and the classes so far, but I don't like that the whole game seems to focus on little fights like 2vs2, 4vs2 in completely monotone modes like Elimination or Team Deatchmatch instead of expoiting the Dominon Mode further more and create similar or even bigger modes.

The_Quieter
02-08-2017, 05:58 PM
Create an interesting and varied combat system that lets you learn and fight...

...Break it with a bunch of instant kill nonsense and stuff that is easy to do relative to how difficult it is to counter.

Gunner11Mendez
02-08-2017, 06:00 PM

No mate believe me there's nothing game breaking about this. It sounds like you could only use part of the PK kit, and now that your spamable grab and shank is gone you believe she is broken...that is stupid. And so is this whole argument because you're crying about a prerelease build of a character...we don't need you in the player base mate I mean it. It was a good idea to cancel, do it.

RatedChaotic
02-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Kinda 50/50. It is fun and exciting. But there are lot of things that still needs tweaked. Most of Ubisoft games have had more issues with cheaters and exploiters than most companies. I will wait a few months to see if these issues happen here aswell..As of now I'll buy it when its discounted.

Id rather play Mortal Kombat than King of the Mountain.

Sirrkas
02-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Actually the representation is blended with balance quite well. The 11th century would be probably the best time frame to work from as all 3 cultures exist in it. Vikings are probably the most accurately depicted as their cold home wouldn't allow for much in the way of armor or weapons so the shoddy axes and shields and leather armor are very much all they had. Knights have very accurate weaponry, but there a little ahead of thetimesin the fact that they're using plate armor rather the chain haulberk of the 11th century. Samurai are also slightly ahead, but in weapons, as in the 11th century they primarily used tactics involving archery, especially on horseback while using money to buy off foot soldiers. So if it were to become any more true to life, samurai win automatically die to their use of archery which wouldn't be very balanced gameplay wise (try chasing down a guy on horseback with as low warlord while getting shot at). Matt Part explains this a little better and shows a fight between the 3 in his newest Game Theorist video.

I see you also watched his video. Even though, the other factions also have ranged attacks and archers were parts of medieval armies.

But MatPat also had a lot of flaws in his video. He depicted the samurai as the only wealthy warriors, probably he doesn´t know, that knights were noblemen and had their own fiefdom. Also vikings did not rely on raiding to get food, they raided to get wealthy.

Edit:
I just found a video showing flaws in Matpats video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18c3S7JiRNA