PDA

View Full Version : cudos to the full real players

brimigus
04-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Just spent the night playing the warcloud and blizpig servers and must say cudos to the high scoreing players.I did ok but must confess that I'm wondering the allure of this type of setting.I currently have a top the line gaming rig including a track ir but still seem to get hored frames ,lagg issues and warping problems coupled with a persistent sticking of the track ir during hard evasive and pursuit manuvers which makes it nearly impossible to stay tracked on any bandit.Now I know some will ask what drivers etc,etc,etc ,my rig up to snuff.My question is what kind of hardware and technics are they imploying to deal with these issues.
I currently use the 85 degree field of view but it really makes the bogies small.it seems any closer and the cockpit will block so much of the external view it's nearly impossible to fly,find and fight.Any suggestions and tips would surely be appreciated especially since more and more servers are adopting these settings.

brimigus
04-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Just spent the night playing the warcloud and blizpig servers and must say cudos to the high scoreing players.I did ok but must confess that I'm wondering the allure of this type of setting.I currently have a top the line gaming rig including a track ir but still seem to get hored frames ,lagg issues and warping problems coupled with a persistent sticking of the track ir during hard evasive and pursuit manuvers which makes it nearly impossible to stay tracked on any bandit.Now I know some will ask what drivers etc,etc,etc ,my rig up to snuff.My question is what kind of hardware and technics are they imploying to deal with these issues.
I currently use the 85 degree field of view but it really makes the bogies small.it seems any closer and the cockpit will block so much of the external view it's nearly impossible to fly,find and fight.Any suggestions and tips would surely be appreciated especially since more and more servers are adopting these settings.

BuzzU
04-17-2004, 12:31 AM
Are you using TrackIR2? It's much smoother than the original.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buzz
http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/foto/anderson9.jpg

brimigus
04-17-2004, 12:39 AM
negative.have heard that its refresh rate is higher ,wonder if that my be some of the problem.

BuzzU
04-17-2004, 12:42 AM
Not only the refresh rate, but it tracks much better. I never get pauses now like I did with the original.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buzz
http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/foto/anderson9.jpg

TooCooL34
04-17-2004, 12:42 AM
Try your vertical sync off if you have decent rig as you said. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
(be ready to get over some image tearing thou)

And Tir2 is better than Tir. at least no new problem. Better tracking, better fps, and better driver support.

-----------------

=815=TooCooL34,=815=Squadron

-= 8 1 5 =- FB Dedi Server is coming soon. (with AEP Dedicated Server)
100Mb IDC line, P4 2.8G server.
Full real but limited icon, minimap path and spdbar.
You can expect something, since I run the server myself. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Nero111
04-17-2004, 04:34 AM
I also have trackir2 and just cannot get it setup properly.
It works make no mistake but I also get this 'sticking' effect that Brimigus mentions.
I found that this happens as when you are looking at your 6 and the trackir looses sight of the reflector. I have a 9800xt and over a gig of ddr400.
I downloaded charvels profile which seems to be the best, but still sticks. Its been a few months now and the trackir is no more than an ornament on my monitor at the mo lol.
Its a fantastic little piece of hardware for level flight for me at the mo, and in Lockon and that it works fine, in IL2 i cant get it right sadly.
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

VFS-22_SPaRX
04-17-2004, 06:37 AM
The Sticking you guys are getting from your Trackirs is coming from it losing site of your tracking target. If you are using the dots , you are probably turning your head past a point where the IR is not reflected back to the Trackir unit. What i have done is made my own little tracking target out of a wooden Mushroom hole plug. You can use anything really that is half round. Cover it in dots or reflecive material and place it on a hat or something. I will edit this later witha picture if i get some time today. But you all just need to experiment with the tracking tagets.

johann_thor
04-17-2004, 07:38 AM
S! brimigus

sorry i was not able to get that P51 of your back before it shot you down yesterday ..... remember ... right after we attacked that P38 and you destroyed it .... that P51 ate 3-4 30mm shells but to little effect just before he got you .... i felt like **** "losing a wingman" ..... but hey ... i destroyed it later http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

revenge is sweet - don't get mad..get even !!!Johann_Thor

SeaFireLIV
04-17-2004, 07:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brimigus:
I'm wondering the allure of this type of setting.I currently have a top the line gaming rig including a track ir but still seem to get hored frames ,lagg issues and warping problems coupled with a persistent sticking of the track ir during hard evasive and pursuit manuvers which makes it nearly impossible to stay tracked on any bandit.Now I know some will ask what drivers etc,etc,etc ,my rig up to snuff.My question is what kind of hardware and technics are they imploying to deal with these issues.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please remember that though all of this `top of the line` rig and track IR etc stuff is nice, it doesn`t actually mean you will be a BETTER pilot.

For example I keep track of 1 to 2 targets easily (and have a genaral situational awareness) using only the Mouse as my head movement. My system is only an Athlon 2100 (about 1.76 ) with 1GIG of ram. Cable connection, but even guys on 56k have wasted faster users!

If you clean up your system well (check the community support for details) you can get a low system like mine running easily for online play. Then you can concentrate on HOW to fight.

It really is just practise all the time, and knowing what to do in a dogfight. All the high-tech gubbings helps only marginally.

SeaFireLIV...

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/mistel.jpg

Don`t worry, they`re just arguing in ORR again!

Nero111
04-17-2004, 09:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Please remember that though all of this `top of the line` rig and track IR etc stuff is nice, it doesn`t actually mean you will be a BETTER pilot.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont think anyone was ever implying that SeaFire. I for one not.
I have been playing IL2 since it came out and can manage just fine with the hat swithces. I cant use the mouse as I have a hotas so both hands are occupied. I used to play with a mouse when I had a single stick setup though and it was fine.
TrackIR is sweet, if you get it setup nicely, which I havent managed to do just yet.
Take the mouse away the twist grips sticks and it does make a difference.
At the end of the day its 99% practice though.

RocketDog
04-17-2004, 10:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VFS-22_SPaRX:
The Sticking you guys are getting from your Trackirs is coming from it losing site of your tracking target. If you are using the dots , you are probably turning your head past a point where the IR is not reflected back to the Trackir unit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have the dots stuck on a flat surface, as you turn your head the sensor sees them being foreshortened and this reduces the signal it has to work with.

With my TIR1 I had this problem and solved it by sticking six dots in an overlapping pattern to a bit of card about 1.5 cm x 0.8 cm. The card is bent so that seen from above it has a V profile with the point facing the monitor. As I look to either side, alternate faces of the card become perpendicular to the line of sight to the sensor so it doesn't loose the signal. The bend is not great, only about 30 - 45 degrees from flat, no need to make a very pointy V. I blu-tak the card to the bridge of my glasses, or if I am wearing contact lenses I blu-tak it to the bridge of a pair of old cheap sunglasses cut down to just the top frames (no lenses).

The dots on the card are in two horizontal rows one above the other, each of three dots, all the dots overlaping to make a solid reflective surface. Why don't they just issue a sheet of reflective material instead of dots? Don't know). It works a treat.

The other critical thing is to sit close to the sensor, about 50 cm maximum.

Of course, all this is no use if your TIR only misbehaves online http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Regards,

RocketDog.

Heavy_Weather
04-17-2004, 11:59 AM
theres no real settings in a sim, its just a game http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

"The wise man is often the man who plays dumb."

Slammin_
04-17-2004, 01:08 PM
Not to be off topic, but what is the topic?

brimigus
04-17-2004, 06:09 PM
Im impressed with the replys this post is getting,maybe seafireliv is right,it's all skill of the player.Well one thing for sure is playing and getting used to external views can really handicap you when you transition to the varsity team and can not rely on them for bandit identification.Looks like practice makes perfect.Oh and note to self,remember to clean the screen it seems I'm chasing down a lot of sneeze specks and dust smidgets.Thanks to all who have replyed.

Lav69
04-17-2004, 06:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slammin_:
Not to be off topic, but what is the topic?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol

FourShades
04-17-2004, 07:16 PM
I'm no online ace, but I do habitually play full real. I do not even use padlock. I don't have TIR/TIR2, nor do I use the mouse. It is just me, my MS FF2 stick and hat switching for views.

It takes practice but it is possible to succeed in aerial combat like this. It is especially easy if you fly a confirmed BnZ aircraft where you keep separation due to higher E and only close in on your own terms. My system breaks down the most for aircraft with poor visibility - like Gladiator J8 or Fiat CR_42.

Have fun!
IV/JG7_4Shades

mike_espo
04-17-2004, 10:33 PM
I like full real. Ive been flying the Italian birds CR.42 and the G.50. Trouble is, no full real servers with these planes. Ive been playing virtual pilots 1 and 2. I have 56k and 512mb RAM and have no problems on these servers.

"Fatte vede che ridemo!"http://www.flying-tigers.net/caccia%20WW%20II/g50.jpg