PDA

View Full Version : The thing about dash...

Strangey_Train
01-30-2017, 07:40 PM
Is it just me or is it crazy dash doesn't cost stamina? I mained peace keeper during the beta and I found that I could dash in, wave my swords around like a mad woman until my stamina was drained, then just dash about the place until my stamina refilled. I didn't have the energy to swing my sword but darting all over the battlefield at the speed of light wasn't a worry.

Altair_Snake
01-30-2017, 08:05 PM
I think the devs are right in making basic defensive actions not cost stamina. There would probably some crazy snowballing, otherwise. And attack spamming could become weirdly effective, too.

Also, if someone gasses, you can actuallys print towards them, whereas they cannot sprint, unless they have a feat for it. And yet anothe rthing to keep in mind is that in Dominion, where you fight is often more important than winning the fight. Having people retreat isn't that different from killing them. And yet anothe rthing to consider is tats tamina is a rather secondary element of the combat system. It wasn't even there at the first iterations of the game. If it weren't for "special moves", like unblockables and infinite combos, we'd probably not even need stamina in the game.

Strangey_Train
01-30-2017, 08:27 PM
I think the devs are right in making basic defensive actions not cost stamina. There would probably some crazy snowballing, otherwise. And attack spamming could become weirdly effective, too.

Also, if someone gasses, you can actuallys print towards them, whereas they cannot sprint, unless they have a feat for it. And yet anothe rthing to keep in mind is that in Dominion, where you fight is often more important than winning the fight. Having people retreat isn't that different from killing them. And yet anothe rthing to consider is tats tamina is a rather secondary element of the combat system. It wasn't even there at the first iterations of the game. If it weren't for "special moves", like unblockables and infinite combos, we'd probably not even need stamina in the game.

Even if you were to sprint towards a gassed opponent they can step around you when you get there as if nothing was wrong. I admit, most of my play time was spent in 1v1 duels so how this would effect 4v4 I can't comment on. If I could post videos on here I could demonstrate what I see as a problem.

SethUnleashed
01-30-2017, 08:49 PM
that would break half the defense gameplay in my opinion esp with how some classes can do insane amounts of stamina dmg.

so youre not only unable to attack in any decent way (just normal lights and heavies wont do anything against a somewhat skilled player), you also cant avoid anything and basically just die after your stamina runs out.

some stamina costs and drains could use slight adjustments, but putting dodge on it would need a re-design of half the fighting system, which would be a VERY bad idea considering how hard it has to be to balance all those mechanics and what great a job they have doing that so far.

Strangey_Train
01-30-2017, 09:03 PM
Blocking would be my answer to that. As a peace keeper I barely used block, it would be good to give it a purpose with that particular class. It just seems like if this were an actual fight and you ran out of steam that's what you would do, guard up and try to block everything until you can muster up a decent swing. Usain Bolting to and fro doesn't. Don't get me wrong here, I used this to my advantage and if it were to stay I wouldn't be upset but in the interest of the game, which I think is awesome by the way, I thought I just point it out.

Icepick_Trotsky
02-05-2017, 10:42 PM
And attack spamming could become weirdly effective, too.

so youre not only unable to attack in any decent way (just normal lights and heavies wont do anything against a somewhat skilled player), you also cant avoid anything and basically just die after your stamina runs out.

Hey, just like in real fight!

But yea, gameplay-wise it could be a bad idea to implement that.

SethUnleashed
02-06-2017, 08:51 AM
Hey, just like in real fight!

if a trained warrior goes out of "stamina" (basically out of breath) after 3-5 hits and a parry that wouldnt be a very good warrior would it?

But yea, gameplay-wise it could be a bad idea to implement that.

thats the point... gameplay wise it would lead to some boring stuff as stamina management would be the number one priority which would take the focus from the actual combat system.

(edit for spelling)

CaptainPwnet
02-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Blocking would be my answer to that. As a peace keeper I barely used block, it would be good to give it a purpose with that particular class. It just seems like if this were an actual fight and you ran out of steam that's what you would do, guard up and try to block everything until you can muster up a decent swing. Usain Bolting to and fro doesn't. Don't get me wrong here, I used this to my advantage and if it were to stay I wouldn't be upset but in the interest of the game, which I think is awesome by the way, I thought I just point it out.

There are many unblockable attacks that have to be dodged and some of them even do stamina damage. If you can't dodge while exhausted then you will be stuck in an infinite loop against these classes. It's fine the way it is.

Maarchiali
02-07-2017, 10:26 AM
I think the assassins shouldn't be able to do their crazy dodge moves when out of stamina, just the normal ones that cover limited distance (like warden and all the others.

Yggdrasil_67
02-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Evades are extremely important in 1v2s, moreso than parries.

Scaevus
02-08-2017, 03:04 AM
I agree. I thinks it must cost stamina because it's really annoying when the last one of enemy team start to run all over the battlefield INFINITELY just to waste time and to piss off everybody