PDA

View Full Version : Don't nerf teach us how to ....

FullyAuto7
01-29-2017, 06:49 PM
Ok so we're all new we all have issues in the game that are frustrating us. I think a lot of Thai can be helped by teaching us what we are doing wrong including myself. If you need helo learning something maybe we can counter it here.

I have issues with the charge attack front the Viking. How can I prevent or counter it?
I also have a big problem with 3 or 4 on 1 in dominion mode. Is their anything I can do about it?

Lunarluxor
01-30-2017, 05:12 AM
Agreed. This game has a STEEP learning curve. Combine that with the skill of players who already understand it and you'll feel utterly powerless as you get crushed again and again.

I can't help you much with the charge issue, but as far as getting ganged up on in Dominion, its more about prevention and avoiding it rather than fighting. Because at that point you're already done for. Keep an eye on the map around you to make sure your not about to be surrounded or ganged up on.

You can also use the back and side paths, they're further from the open field where all the mobbing is likely going on, and a lot smaller which makes it harder for multiple people and surround and attack you. Just make sure to watch out for pits and cliffs or else they can just guard break and throw you off.

All this explaining is a bit redundant with the beta being over and all but I hope this at least helps in the main game.

SethUnleashed
01-30-2017, 08:46 AM
the live game will have practice mode against level 0, 1, 2 and 3 bots (beta only had 0 and 1), which will help people a lot, IF ... and here is the BIG if ... players actually invest the time to learn the game, which judging from the state of the forums, most arent willing to do...

in this day and age, if something is just a tiny bit to hard, most people will just start whining instead of bettering them selfes. (dark souls fans not included ^^)

i agree with you on the topic though... more or better training modes (for example a "guardbreak-counter-only" training etc would help a lot in the beginning

Eraxar
01-31-2017, 01:18 PM
Agreed with the above!

FullyAuto7 which Viking you mean? the Warlord (Shield + Sword)?, then im not sure but think the best way here is doging.

For 3 vs1 in dominion my tip is dont try to attack, try to concentrate of blocking most of the attacks till you get revenge, and then REVENGE :D
For me playing peacekeeper this works often (not every time:)) and i can get at least 1 or 2 down in revengemode.

Captain.Weegee
01-31-2017, 01:54 PM
Agreed with the above!

FullyAuto7 which Viking you mean? the Warlord (Shield + Sword)?, then im not sure but think the best way here is doging.

For 3 vs1 in dominion my tip is dont try to attack, try to concentrate of blocking most of the attacks till you get revenge, and then REVENGE :D
For me playing peacekeeper this works often (not every time:)) and i can get at least 1 or 2 down in revengemode.
It is really hard to block em off, if a guy guardbreak you or the conqueror spam his shield bash on you to knock you down^^
how you counter that?

Eraxar
01-31-2017, 03:04 PM
yeah agree this is difficult and and i havenīt found an suitable answer for me yet. luckily this happned not that often for me :)

Altair_Snake
01-31-2017, 03:09 PM
Will we be able to choos ethe heroes we go up against in practice mode and in playing normally vs the AI, in the full game? That's pretty important, too.

Collossis86
01-31-2017, 03:46 PM
the game has a direct counter to an opponent pushing you around already, however the window to use it is amazingly small and for good reason I think. I feel it forces you to spend more time trying to read your opponent learning how they fight and then applying the appropriate counter. yeah a large number of the community will cry over this small window but i really think the dev team was trying to bring a more realistic feel of combat to the game.

Kyral99
01-31-2017, 11:01 PM
It also would be nice if we could choose against what class we train, sorry if this was already in but I never found an option and was always put against a random class.

Mjolnir1337
01-31-2017, 11:19 PM
I made a thread in "discussion" under beta forums asking why its so difficult for new players to play this game and why such a steep curve.

I think that a few things are counter-intuitive from what we have learned from other games and what feels "natural".

For instance, run speed during guard feels very clunky and slow compared to normal run speed. (Note: not sprinting, just run speed). Thats one area that could be improved.
The other is allowing sprint IN guard stance, would greatly add some level of "mobility" to being in guard.

Two other ones that really threw me off:
- You cannot "grab" (Guard Break) someone MID-attack. This constantly got me killed.
- You cannot attack an attacker who is mid combo. If an Orochi hits you once, and is winding up for another hit, you cant hit him back, youll just get hit. Your ONLY options are to block/parry/dodge that hit, until he is DONE with the combo and THEN you can try to attack.

Something that was JUST starting to "click" for me at the end of BETA: This game is about defense, not offense. This is the problem I think many new players (and myself) have. We learn our classes combos and focus on trying to chain combos and attack players. In reality, you should be focusing on 3 important defensive abilities:

#1 Block - Learn how to do this. Not just "yeah yeah I know how" but a true test would be to pit yourself against a level 3 bot (you can do this in custom games in the beta BTW) and then play 99 rounds OR until you feel you can successfully block ANYTHING that guy throws at you. Once you get to the point that you feel like you could block an attack from King Kong himself THEN.....
#2 Parry. Learn how to parry. Not just "how to" but how to do it RELIABLY. Do it on command. Again, take a lvl 3 bot, practice over and over until its second nature to Parry an attack. MOST people (including bots) will throw combos. Combos are a guarantee you can parry, block the first hit, you KNOW the second is coming, so be prepared to parry. Practice this over and over and over and over and OVER until you can parry on command.

Mastering just these two things - you will WIN more than half your fights.

"But I havnt practiced my combos...."

You wont need to. Even if you just hit with light attacks every parry... youll win the fight. Or... after 1-2 parry and blocking everything that guy throws at you, he will either block himself OR....

#3 Countering Guard Break. Learn to do this. Now THIS is harder to practice. So I recommend getting a buddy and tell him to throw some attacks and mix in guard break. Take turns. Practice THIS over and over and over until you can counter guard break 90% of the time.

Mastering these three, youll win most your fights. You dont need to be "uber" in stringing attack combos. You just need to be uber in your defenses. Most people will come out swinging, block and Parry and youll get a few hits on them for free. Then they will turtle up, then you can GB them easily, hit another 1-2 times. Then they will see YOU are blocking and try to GB you, counter and finish off with another 1-2 attacks.

Thats it. I wouldnt spend my time trying to master combos and attacks and guard breaking and throwing. Spend your time mastering defense and you will win most of your fights.