PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive switch

ryan2107
05-19-2004, 12:00 PM
im trying to swap hard drives on two machines and was wondering since im going to reformat them if there is an easy way to copy everything i have on this drive and move it to the new one. any help would be greatly appreciated. ive looked at a few programs that make images of my hard drive but im not sure that is what i need. thanks

ryan2107
05-19-2004, 12:00 PM
im trying to swap hard drives on two machines and was wondering since im going to reformat them if there is an easy way to copy everything i have on this drive and move it to the new one. any help would be greatly appreciated. ive looked at a few programs that make images of my hard drive but im not sure that is what i need. thanks

Arms1
05-20-2004, 02:39 AM
i used norton ghost to copy one drive to another, didnt have to format the new one it took the image from the old one fine, but i was using the same hardware configuration (the new drive was in the same computer) dont think it will work if your hardware configuration is different

arcadeace
05-20-2004, 06:15 AM
Norton's Ghost, Drive Image and a few other ISO image copy utilities should transfer all your data onto a CD. If you have any data you simply cannot afford to lose make seperate backups to another CD first, just in case. I would also reformat your HD on which its to be transferred, its easy to do and always recommended for a safe install.

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/222_1082457373_222_1082441075_airaces.jpg

ryan2107
05-20-2004, 02:11 PM
thanks for the replies. i used acronis' true image and it worked perfectly. couldnt have been easier either. suggest people look at it before their next hard drive upgrade