PDA

View Full Version : Deflecting?

Captain.Weegee
01-25-2017, 03:42 PM
Hey there guys,

i never played the game before but have just one question about the deflection in for honor, because i saw some videos where orochis just spam it 3-4 times in a row.
So it works like the parry, but you have to use light-, not heavy attack in the right moment, now if someone use the deflect attack successful, is the deflecting attack blockable or not? (in the vids i never saw someone blocking them)

If you cant block it, arent they a bit op if you spam? i dont know^^

thanks for answers!

DraxeI
01-25-2017, 04:54 PM
So, deflections are unique to the Assassin type classes and the following attack after a successful deflect is different between each of the assassins (berserker, orochi & peacekeeper).
You deflect by using a dodge in the direction of an incoming blow, so if the opponent attacks your left guard, you dodge to the left. Also like a parry, you need to time it properly (attack indicator needs to FLASH).
This USED TO BE done by simply blocking an attack just before it hit you and was much easier to pull of, that is probably what you have seen if they could "spam it".

Now, once you have successfully deflected you have a very small window to initiate a counter-attack.
The Samurai's Orochi can either do a quick light unblockable stab, or a slower heavy unblockable stab.
The Viking's Berserker will do an automatic uninterruptable guardbreak when you trigger the deflect.
The Knight's Peacekeeper will do a quick (unblockable?) stab that also causes a small bleed effect.

If you check out these two guides for the Orochi & Berserker you can see more detailed explanations as well as .gifs that showcase them in action.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1509277-Hall-of-Heroes-Orochi-Guide-Updated
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1551940-Hall-of-Heroes-Berserker-Guide

See you on the battlefield!

Captain.Weegee
01-25-2017, 05:30 PM
Thank you very much for the informations! =)

But another question! Why should a assassin parry an attack if he can deflect em? do the deflection have some weaknesses compared to parry?

Altair_Snake
01-26-2017, 09:34 AM
The parry reward is a big bigger, at least in some cases.

WinterHt
01-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Thank you very much for the informations! =)

But another question! Why should a assassin parry an attack if he can deflect em? do the deflection have some weaknesses compared to parry?

If they specifically want to get a guardbreak, it may be a reason (unless they play a berserker, who gets mini guardbreaks from a deflection).

There are also the unblockables. You can parry an unblockable attack, but can't block or deflect them.

LKHERO
01-27-2017, 11:25 PM
For me, I use both deflect and parry for different situations to reap different rewards:
-I use Deflect for side-steps on light attacks because to trigger the dash also triggers evasion. It is safer in that regard to execute against faster, less telegraphed attacks. Therefore, it is safer to do and I encourage assassins to do it. It also throws off the tempo of the match and its quite sudden in itself, so this staggers the reaction time for your opponent and gives his brain less time to calculate what's gong on.
-I use Parry against larger, more telegraphed attacks that I can prepare for. Still, if you mess up, there is no evasion, there is no reward. If you miss, you literally eat the attack or throw out a heavy of your own which will most certainty get punished. However, the reward is greater because it's a full guard break technically. For the Orochi for example, this is a free top heavy, which means guaranteed bigger damage. Parry also costs stamina to perform, so if you're starved on stam or borderline, it's better to not do it as a mess up can send you into fatigue.

I hope this helps :)