PDA

View Full Version : Joysticks

borganout
03-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Hi through il-2 I have just discovered the great world of flight sims.

I want to take it to the next level and buy a kick arse joystick. Do you guys have any recomendations.

borganout
03-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Hi through il-2 I have just discovered the great world of flight sims.

I want to take it to the next level and buy a kick arse joystick. Do you guys have any recomendations.

Bearcat99
03-02-2004, 11:15 PM
X45... most Bang for buck.. if youhave money to burn then go with a Cougar or CH setup.... Personally Ill take my X45..

aerick2
03-03-2004, 01:18 AM
Saitek X45. Do yourself a favor and buy it bro :D

madsarmy
03-03-2004, 02:09 AM
If your looking for force feedback this is worth a look.(if your right handed)

Thrustmaster Topgun Afterburner force feedback

http://mysite.freeserve.com/fbscreenshots/images/0-picture.jpg

"LOOK MUM NO HANDS!"

RevvinUK
03-03-2004, 03:10 AM
If you're going to get into this hobby then you're going to want a stick that will last you for some time, is easy to setup but also has plenty of potential so as you're experience grows you won't out grow the stick or it's capabilities. CH make such sticks and I'd recommend either a CH USB Fighterstick or Combatstick with a view to then adding to that a Pro Throttle and rudder pedals as your budget allows.

They are easy to setup and have a nice GUI interface to program it, of course if you don't want to program it you can use in as a normal DirectX joystick and map the controls in IL-2. Programming is simplicity itself, the 'Control Manager' software shows you a picture of your stick and you just click on the button you want to program and set whatever key command you like to that button. If you want to take it further as your experience grows then you can use CMS scripting which allows for more complex commands and macro's such as automatic trim, fail safe ejection, WEP mapped to the end of the throttle so it switches on and off automatically as you move the throttle.

The sticks are very reliable, my last CH gameport rig is still going strong 6 years later I only changed them when I wanted a USB setup. They are of a solid construction so the intial outlay is well worth it and the support from CH is top notch.

I'd suggest buying the stick and then deciding if you'd like to go for a full HOTAS setup and add the Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals later, if you buy the stick you will still have the throttle wheel on the base of the stick for now and if you add the Pro Throttle that wheel on the stick will then become handy for trim input or prop pitch etc.

Revvin

The CH Hangar - Profiles, scripting ideas and discussion for CH users (http://www.ch-hangar.com)

kwaichain007
03-03-2004, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Revvin_UK:
If you're going to get into this hobby then you're going to want a stick that will last you for some time, is easy to setup but also has plenty of potential so as you're experience grows you won't out grow the stick or it's capabilities. CH make such sticks and I'd recommend either a CH USB Fighterstick or Combatstick with a view to then adding to that a Pro Throttle and rudder pedals as your budget allows.

They are easy to setup and have a nice GUI interface to program it, of course if you don't want to program it you can use in as a normal DirectX joystick and map the controls in IL-2. Programming is simplicity itself, the 'Control Manager' software shows you a picture of your stick and you just click on the button you want to program and set whatever key command you like to that button. If you want to take it further as your experience grows then you can use CMS scripting which allows for more complex commands and macro's such as automatic trim, fail safe ejection, WEP mapped to the end of the throttle so it switches on and off automatically as you move the throttle.

The sticks are very reliable, my last CH gameport rig is still going strong 6 years later I only changed them when I wanted a USB setup. They are of a solid construction so the intial outlay is well worth it and the support from CH is top notch.

I'd suggest buying the stick and then deciding if you'd like to go for a full HOTAS setup and add the Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals later, if you buy the stick you will still have the throttle wheel on the base of the stick for now and if you add the Pro Throttle that wheel on the stick will then become handy for trim input or prop pitch etc.

Revvin

The CH Hangar - Profiles, scripting ideas and discussion for CH users (http://www.ch-hangar.com)

Just to add a query. I've got a Wingman Force 3D. I seem to be having a super difficult time in getting it to fully function with IL2FB. Do you think it is a good match as a joystick for the game IL2FB?

borganout
03-03-2004, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have been checking out the X-45 this afternoon and it damn looks cool.

I just can't wait to get away from this keyboard.

TugZooey
03-03-2004, 06:30 AM
To kwaichain007:

I have that same joystick, and while it is crappy compared to some of the others mentioned, it will do for a while. I had a hell of a time setting mine up too, but now, after several months and many hours flying, it's acceptable. And sometimes the feel even seems to change on me.

I wouldn't recommend anyone buy it, but if you already got it, it'll do.

I found turning down the force feedback strengths down quite a bit helps and it doesn't roll left and right so much.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-03-2004, 06:32 AM
CH is the way to go. http://www.chproducts.com

http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/il2sig2.jpg

Heavy_Weather
03-03-2004, 07:32 AM
www.saitek.com

"The wise man is often the man who plays dumb."