PDA

View Full Version : Just got the Roaring Glory Warbirds P-40 & P-38 vids.. I miss you Jeff Ethell

sledgehammer2
04-03-2004, 10:08 AM
I have 6 of these great videos - 5 of them on DVD. Watched the ones on the P-40 and P-38 with Jeff Ethell. What a great aviation historian, writer, and pilot. I can really sense his love and passion for the planes and the history. I really feel a sense of loss knowing that he is gone. So long Jeff...

sledgehammer2

Remember Peleliu 1944

sledgehammer2
04-03-2004, 10:08 AM
I have 6 of these great videos - 5 of them on DVD. Watched the ones on the P-40 and P-38 with Jeff Ethell. What a great aviation historian, writer, and pilot. I can really sense his love and passion for the planes and the history. I really feel a sense of loss knowing that he is gone. So long Jeff...

sledgehammer2

Remember Peleliu 1944

heywooood
04-03-2004, 12:04 PM
He was a great contributor to Flight Journal and conveyed very well his connection to his father in an article there about flying a P38 for the first time. Jeff Ethell's dad flew the P38 in combat in WWII, so the son was anxious to get to know the same plane that the father had flown and loved so much.. It was that story and the way it was told that made me subscribe to the magazine and to look for other writings of Jeff Ethell's. He is missed tremendously by the Warbird community especially.

Xnomad
04-03-2004, 05:14 PM
I've got a copy of the P-38 DVD and it's great, it's a real personal tour of the aircraft. I can't say I have heard much of this man before however, I have read some of his articles and his walk/fly around with the lightning was brilliant I wish there were more great documentaries like these.

http://www.xnomad.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sig.jpg

Jagdgeschwader2
04-03-2004, 07:54 PM
I have four of the Roaring Glory videos. I was also shocked to hear of his death. He died while flying a P-38 so atleast he went doing what he loved best.

FAA Crash report.

Probable Cause
failure of the pilot to maintain minimum control speed (VMC), after loss of power in one engine, which resulted in a loss of aircraft control and collision with terrain. Related factors were: the pilot's improper fuel management and failure to change the fuel selector position before a fuel tank had emptied, which led to fuel starvation and loss of power in one engine; and the pilot's lack of familiarity with the aircraft, relative to single-engine minimum airspeeds.

http://home.tiscali.dk/winthrop/ethel2.html

A speck of dirt on your windscreen could turn into an enemy fighter in the time it took to look round and back again. A little smear on your goggles might hide the plane that was coming in to kill you.
Derek Robinson
From the book Piece of Cake.

[This message was edited by Jagdgeschwader2 on Sat April 03 2004 at 07:19 PM.]

Freycinet
04-04-2004, 01:04 AM
It is quite a spot on his memory that he ended up crashing because of some grave errors in handling the P-38 (not understanding the fuel management system properly, not following engine management procedures). He paid with his life and destroyed a manificent and very rare airplane.

pinche_bolillo
04-04-2004, 01:37 AM
the ironic part about ethell crashing due to running one of the engines dry (while performing maneouvers I believe). is that in his video he stresses making sure the fuel selector valve is locked into the indentation properly as not to run an engine out of fuel. been a while since I saw the video, but I have been aware of his accident and read the report atleast 4-5 years ago. he wrote/co-wrote a number of books as well. I do not believe it was from inexperience, I got the impression that he flew a lot of different a/c and had respectable hours in quite a few of the rare ones. definately enough to know about making sure the selector valve was in the proper place and on a take that actually had fuel. he most likely just made a simple mistake that cost him his life in the end.