PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts about the Ezio Collection

pacmanate
01-14-2017, 07:59 PM
I recently purchased this and have finished AC2.... All I can say is

Wow.

This just made me fall in love with Assassin's Creed again. I replayed AC1 on a PC for the first time (the one with extra investigation missions) and found it a fun ride. It's one of the reasons I bought the Ezio Collection actually (As the PC i have is just some thing from work that isnt actually meant for games).

AC2 is such a step up from AC1, there are SO many things added to that game; Changes in mission design, the location, acting, storytelling, side activities. Even dying your clothes or having an economy system. I could write a massive list of additions of things that werent in AC1 or that are just a leap beyond (such as architecture) but you guys already know this.

I think that AC has had a problem since AC2 - ACU actually, where the leaps between games haven't been that much. Sure there have been additions, but nothing as staggering or as big of a change as AC1 - AC2.

I really hope that this years AC game can refresh the entire series. I do have faith in Ubisoft seeing as they have taken a year out, and I really do want some glyphs, real tombs back.

P.S, As a side note, something I really like that got carried over from PoP was when you enter a tomb you get the camera showing you the path to the destination before you do anything. That just gives me the feels, I don't know why I miss it, but i do.

Black_Widow9
01-14-2017, 11:06 PM
I recently purchased this and have finished AC2.... All I can say is

Wow.

This just made me fall in love with Assassin's Creed again.
I just started playing over holiday and I have the same feeling. So much.

ModernWaffle
01-15-2017, 02:29 AM
AC2 is such a step up from AC1, there are SO many things added to that game; Changes in mission design, the location, acting, storytelling, side activities. Even dying your clothes or having an economy system. I could write a massive list of additions of things that werent in AC1 or that are just a leap beyond (such as architecture) but you guys already know this.

I think that AC has had a problem since AC2 - ACU actually, where the leaps between games haven't been that much. Sure there have been additions, but nothing as staggering or as big of a change as AC1 - AC2.

I really hope that this years AC game can refresh the entire series. I do have faith in Ubisoft seeing as they have taken a year out, and I really do want some glyphs, real tombs back.

Takes me back - think AC3 was the only other game that gave me the same awe as 2 ;)

Can't honestly see the series being refreshed though due to a combination of permanent lost of clear MD, inconsistency with franchise direction and overused premise for the actual Assassin story section.

With MD, they can only restart everything / remove it completely, or try to continue what Syndicate had (which although was better than Unity, still felt quite aimless) and none of these options offer a satisfying solution.

In terms of franchise direction, I'm unsure how Ubisoft wants to take the series forward. Unity was meant to be the game that refreshed the series and IMO it did. Technical difficulties aside, the core pillars were carefully re-done. Stealth was re-encouraged, combat was harder and parkour added the down descend feature. Syndicate then readjusted combat, with some improvements and downgrades, but which indirectly caused stealth to be less important. For better of worse, Ubisoft seemed to shy away from its earlier ambitions, perhaps with good reason but this leaves me in doubt as to whether they want to make the next game like Unity, Syndicate - or even the past-gen entries.

For the Assassin story section of the game, it's also going to be hard to have a narrative with the Assassins/Templars that feels interesting again. The premise of the protagonist as a new recruit joining has been done too many times. Syndicate was a bit more interesting having assassins that were already experienced plus adding the sibling relationship but obviously they can't repeat this idea again. What are the factions going to be fighting for? Surely not another piece of Eden, there's already too many as it is after Unity and Syndicate. With Ezio setting such a high bar and having recently tested different personalities / (wasted) narrative arcs with Shay, Arno, Jacob and Evie, I'm not sure how the next protagonist will have anything new or exciting to offer.

I think it's possible for the next entry to be largely praised but I predict it's going to be criticised in at least one major area (consider AC3 and Unity as the more risky entries of the series and the split opinions they created). I have confidence that the game mechanics and changes for the next entry will be fun but it has to set a new and pretty high precedent for more games to come out after. Story for both MD and historical should be kept consistent and simple for now. I have no idea what Ubisoft is planning but I think best case scenario would be a a completely restarted story (keeping the very core premise the same) for a new trilogy and just end the series there on a positive note.