PDA

View Full Version : Performance-Friendly Sound Card fir IL2?

mackenson
02-02-2004, 06:48 PM
I am using the original IL-2 (patched) and I'm just sick of my Soundblaster Live card. It crackles constantly, and seems to use lots of CPU power. I'd like to replace it, but don't want to spend a ton of cash for a lot of features that I won't use. My main concern, however, is that I get a sound card which offers a minimal impact on performance--as little CPU load as possible.

If I can get this will cool 3d sound and such, then great--if not, I can live without it.

Any recommendations? I really want to stay away from anyting from Creative at this point, including the Audigy.

mackenson
02-02-2004, 06:48 PM
I am using the original IL-2 (patched) and I'm just sick of my Soundblaster Live card. It crackles constantly, and seems to use lots of CPU power. I'd like to replace it, but don't want to spend a ton of cash for a lot of features that I won't use. My main concern, however, is that I get a sound card which offers a minimal impact on performance--as little CPU load as possible.

If I can get this will cool 3d sound and such, then great--if not, I can live without it.

Any recommendations? I really want to stay away from anyting from Creative at this point, including the Audigy.

TooCooL34
02-03-2004, 12:49 AM
Go for Audigy.
They all s**k at FB From SB live to SB live DE 5.1. It really consumes CPU power.(thou better than MOBO soundcards.)

My last experience was Audigy DE. There were no considerable frame drop at full sound detail. Audigy2 is better but not worth the money.

Currently I'm using MCP-T SoundStorm and it is best in fps and effects in FB. But it's NForce2 mobo soundcard, so I can't recommend it.

repco
02-03-2004, 02:49 AM
Yeah, I recognise those symptoms http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Go for an Audigy Player I'd say. Also, experiment with EAX (it's called sound extensions in FB I think). Without EAX it still sounds great and my puny CPU has a bit more head room.