PDA

View Full Version : Plane Key Configuration Files

XyZspineZyX
07-23-2003, 02:05 AM
I would like to see each plane *potentially* have its own key configuration file which automatically gets used whenever the player selects that aircraft, if such a control file is different from the overall configuration file and if the player exerts effort to make such a separate key scheme.

The problem I see is that there are only so many keys on the keyboard - we need to be able to clone the overall key config file into individual plane folders. This would allow us to tailor control schemes to different aircraft as needed. This problem began to rear up with aircraft such as that Russian pug-nose thing (manual gear...), but the new bombers demand a new level of customization. Trying to remember control settings for a game as complex interfacially as IL-2 is terribly prohibitive.
The problem may only grow as the range of aircraft - particularly those with peculiar characteristics - grows in the game.

XyZspineZyX
07-23-2003, 02:05 AM
I would like to see each plane *potentially* have its own key configuration file which automatically gets used whenever the player selects that aircraft, if such a control file is different from the overall configuration file and if the player exerts effort to make such a separate key scheme.

The problem I see is that there are only so many keys on the keyboard - we need to be able to clone the overall key config file into individual plane folders. This would allow us to tailor control schemes to different aircraft as needed. This problem began to rear up with aircraft such as that Russian pug-nose thing (manual gear...), but the new bombers demand a new level of customization. Trying to remember control settings for a game as complex interfacially as IL-2 is terribly prohibitive.
The problem may only grow as the range of aircraft - particularly those with peculiar characteristics - grows in the game.

XyZspineZyX
07-23-2003, 02:31 AM
-- aircraft such as that Russian pug-nose thing

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Try saving a backup file thing for each of your aircraft things. Like "config.i16" for your Russian pug-nose thing.

XyZspineZyX
07-24-2003, 08:53 AM
That`s an idea, though I`d still rather see something incorporated into the game interface.

XyZspineZyX
07-24-2003, 09:04 AM
you can sorta do that already by saving different pilot names with different setups

thus you can have an "I16 pilot" "heinkel pilot" and so on, online missions use whatever campaign pilot was last selected along with the control setup for that pilot.

only problem is you must load that pilot profile in campaign mode before entering a mission you cant swap halfway through a online dogfight for example.

if you could choose a different pilot profile halfway thru missions that would be an excellent feature

XyZspineZyX
07-26-2003, 10:32 PM
That`s not the proper way to solve the problem though. We should be able to define plane-specific control schemes.

XyZspineZyX
07-26-2003, 10:43 PM
Proper way to solve the problem?
I'm so glad you're the expert.

Tell me what would be the source code that you'd like to have merged into the main game code?

Thanks.

XyZspineZyX
07-27-2003, 03:16 AM
tolwyn.com wrote:
- Proper way to solve the problem?
- I'm so glad you're the expert.
-
- Tell me what would be the source code that you'd
- like to have merged into the main game code?
-
- Thanks.
-
-

You know, I love people with attitudes.

I believe certain fps games out there have and have had separate configuration files for separate players for some time now; it is only logical to this mere mortal that such an approach be taken when dealing with DIFFERENT PLANES WITH DIFFERING CAPABILITIES AND CONTROL SCHEMES.

Player config (hardware settings, player name, histories)
Controller Directories (by plane type)

Pardon you but this is, as I said, *logical*. A sensible evolution of gaming. I didn`t think I needed certain credentials to express such; perhaps you would be so kind as to give your permission.

Its just common sense. Believe it or don`t - up to you.

For the record, a good programmer friend of mine (and a fellow IL-2 fanatic) once said that it isn`t what you want to do, its how much time do you have. In this case we aren`t talking about a new algorithm for water effects or a simulation of air flow here, we`re talking about distinct .cfg files for different planes. Oleg and crew have done great with IL-2, but my friend and I (and I`m sure many other people who play or would like to play IL-2) simply offer our suggestions and desires.