PDA

View Full Version : [POLL] Should the currently gender-locked classes stay gender locked? (Hear me out)

EnderVex
12-29-2016, 01:36 AM
Someone said that gender-locking is gamebreaking. They also stated that a poll would settle this matter once and for all. So I've decided to create one.

Post your answer for this extremely important issue on which the game's success hangs in the balance.

Hooray.

iHunny
12-29-2016, 01:57 AM
Its not a gamebreaker for me but I would be happy if there was no gender locked classes.

Fatal-Feit
12-29-2016, 02:07 AM
It doesn't ruin the game for me, but it does detract from the quality.

MisterWillow
12-29-2016, 02:27 AM
To put the argument in context, the devs said for a year and a half that you could pick a character in multiplayer and customise everything about them, from their armour, to their weapons, to their skin tone, and yes, to their gender, before stating at Gamescom a few months ago that the 'new' classes---that is, the ones not present in the Alphas---would each be gender locked. This, I believe, is the primary cause of the outrage. It smacks of deception or betrayal.

Now, on the other hand, I understand the realities of any sort of creative endeavour. Plans change, other things take priority, you run out of time or money to make the thing you really want, so compromises must be made. I feel like this is what ultimately happened (and reading through the other threads on this topic, I saw several others point this out), meaning we might get the other genders patched in at some point, and I personally think it should for the simple reason that they said it would be that way at the beginning, and more variety and customisation is always a plus in my book.

Should that not ever happen, I will be disappointed, but at the end of the day, it affects nothing about the playability of the game, so there's no reason for me to not purchase, play, and enjoy it as-is. It's ultimately a minor element to be upset about when compared to everything else there.

Having said all that... I WANT MY FEMALE WARLORD!!!! :D:p

iHunny
12-29-2016, 02:47 AM
Female Warlord would be so cool. Or female Shugoki. I would buy a DLC that added female/male versions of geneder locked classes.

Orisoll
12-29-2016, 02:53 AM
It's stupid and pointless for every character except the Valkyrie. That said it's not a deal-breaker, just an annoying restriction for everyone involved.

Dead1y-Derri
12-29-2016, 03:24 AM
Gender locked classes to me aren't really an issue in a game like For Honor. I think if we were playing an RPG or something similar then of course gender options and greater customization would be something I'd want to see implemented into the game but For Honor isn't like that and therefore I guess it doesn't bother me. I do agree with Willow to an extent. I mean they said deep levels of customization would be available and they've changed their minds which obviously has caused some issues but I'll be honest and say if it isn't patched in or changed then I won't be bothered by it.

I do understand the importance of choice and gender within video games but I believe its all about picking your battles when trying to change something like gender depiction within video games.

TheMightyJorge
12-29-2016, 06:30 AM
While I won't lie and say I wasn't disappointed when I heard about the gender locking (kinda wanted a big female Shugoki, I'll be honest), it honestly isn't game breaking for me. I agree with most that it's a bit of an annoyance, but it's not nearly as important to me as bigger issues such as gameplay and server issues. To me, it's a minimal issue and won't affect my enjoyment of the game in the least, in the long run.

keizersozer
12-29-2016, 10:39 AM
I might be repeating my self again but honestly and it saddens me to say it it, but more serious game breaker will come form the online experience before anything else.
When this happen trust me you won't give a damn about gender locked and will rage out to Ubisoft to fix that before anything else.:(:(:(

Greek_Wolf_Guru
12-29-2016, 10:40 AM
Having both genders across all heroes would be nice, but I don't really care for it. People are stating that it's game breaking and are saying the dev team are taking shortcuts which is just absolute garbage. In my opinion, having certain class that are not gender locked would be a bit... silly, like a female Shugoki, just wouldn't make sense to me, and this is why I think they left certain heroes locked to certain genders.

YsaIine
12-29-2016, 10:45 AM
I dont mind, what i would like to see tho are the long hairs on female conqueror.

Dez_troi_aR
12-29-2016, 12:59 PM
this extremely important issue on which the game's success hangs in the balance.

Hooray.

You are joking, right ?

keizersozer
12-29-2016, 03:27 PM
You are joking, right ?

either he was completely drunk or ironic if not then this guys is beyond any hope of saving him HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
no offense meant bro ;)

The_Quieter
12-29-2016, 03:38 PM
Why do I get the feeling virtually all of this contention is centered around the Peace Keeper...? I don't think anyone cares about the male locked classes that much.

Have to admit it's a bit surprising there's female Conqs. That's one buff lady. I actually think female Lawbringers make more sense, but cest la vie. I plan on playing the knight classes almost to the exclusion of everything else and I don't care if they're gender locked male or female. I think when I played in the test my Warden was female by default and I just never bothered to change it.

The games not going for hyper realism anyway because otherwise the knights would be laughing hysterically at any attempt to hurt them with a sword.

AlmightyWarlock
12-29-2016, 09:14 PM
Ever heard of a male Valkyrie in lore? No? There's a reason for that...before there's ANYTHING said about Einherjar- No. Those were only Vikings who had died. The Valkyries straight up decided who died in battle and was accepted into Valhalla, and those who lived and did not die in battle- thus not entering Valhalla. (Mind you, death in battle did NOT guarantee that you'd enter Valhalla, the Valkyries still had to choose you among the half slain.)

Butterbr0t_x
12-29-2016, 09:28 PM
Gender Gender Gender... i hope the server problems (connection lost for example) and also troubles at regroup after a crash with your buddys will be solved at release! Dont care about if there is a man or woman Shugoki who gets my sword in his/her face! :)

Feminism is cancer and this thread also..

<3

Avirex_Idyll
12-30-2016, 08:26 AM
Gender Gender Gender... i hope the server problems (connection lost for example) and also troubles at regroup after a crash with your buddys will be solved at release! Dont care about if there is a man or woman Shugoki who gets my sword in his/her face! :)

Feminism is cancer and this thread also..

<3

Well, your comment started off making a valid point followed by some friendly banter.

And then you went and ended it on such a bad note. The only cancer was your closing sentence.

That aside, where is the 'poll' part of this thread?

AtaraxiaGG
12-30-2016, 12:21 PM
All along they've been promising ultimate customisation for our characters. I don't have an issue with gender locks, but I do have an issue with promises broken. With that said, based on their prior promises this whole thing stinks of running out of development time to put them in, so they haven't. That is total speculation, but it's the best I've got for them to back pedal on an issue that's clearly very important to the player base. Despite this, I wouldn't be surprised if we see gender unlocks for at least some of the classes throughout the games post-release life.

There's a season pass, which reasonably we can only expect to contain single player content, new characters or very possibly, gender unlocking. With maps and game modes promised to be free, I'm not really sure what else they could put in the season pass to make it worthwhile.

iHunny
12-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Ever heard of a male Valkyrie in lore? No? There's a reason for that...before there's ANYTHING said about Einherjar- No. Those were only Vikings who had died. The Valkyries straight up decided who died in battle and was accepted into Valhalla, and those who lived and did not die in battle- thus not entering Valhalla. (Mind you, death in battle did NOT guarantee that you'd enter Valhalla, the Valkyries still had to choose you among the half slain.)

.... The Valkyrie class is not that tho, since this is not earth. So Einherjar would work on a male version. Since once again, this is not earth, vikings is only based of the Norse.

Ymir.exe
12-30-2016, 05:29 PM
.... The Valkyrie class is not that tho, since this is not earth. So Einherjar would work on a male version. Since once again, this is not earth, vikings is only based of the Norse.

Where did you get that from? It's just a different timeline for Earth where there was an apocalypse and instead of developing into what we are today, people just fought for survival for 1000 years instead. The Vikings in For Honor still worship Thor and Odin and the rest of the Norse pantheon. The concept of Valhalla is there, they have the mjolnir hammer symbol and the valknut of Odin prominently displayed on their gear. So the concept of Valkyries should be the same as well. Choosers of the slain, who choose which warriors go to Odin and to Valhalla, and which go to Freyja in Fˇlkvangr.

iHunny
12-30-2016, 06:27 PM
Where did you get that from? It's just a different timeline for Earth where there was an apocalypse and instead of developing into what we are today, people just fought for survival for 1000 years instead. The Vikings in For Honor still worship Thor and Odin and the rest of the Norse pantheon. The concept of Valhalla is there, they have the mjolnir hammer symbol and the valknut of Odin prominently displayed on their gear. So the concept of Valkyries should be the same as well. Choosers of the slain, who choose which warriors go to Odin and to Valhalla, and which go to Freyja in Fˇlkvangr.

But the Valkyries did not mingle with men, they resided with the Gods. Nor did they pick sides. Since they changed lots already why not just change this? Why would it be so hard picturing a class wish female version is called Valkyrie and the male one Einherjar? You can accept a alternative earth where everything go to ****s and 3 factions of different timelines fight but this, nah, this is just to much.

AlmightyWarlock
12-30-2016, 07:14 PM
You're trying to split hairs and it isn't going to work here. Just take it back to your special safe space where everything is meant to make you happy and let those of us who want to enjoy the game do so.

Ymir.exe
12-30-2016, 10:47 PM
But the Valkyries did not mingle with men, they resided with the Gods. Nor did they pick sides. Since they changed lots already why not just change this? Why would it be so hard picturing a class wish female version is called Valkyrie and the male one Einherjar? You can accept a alternative earth where everything go to ****s and 3 factions of different timelines fight but this, nah, this is just to much.

Valkyries like the Norse Gods were physical beings. They did mingle with men, and some were even lovers of heroes or daughters of kings. I, personally, am not arguing against or for anything in this thread, I'm just here talking about valkyries and lore.

Stoffan200
12-31-2016, 02:12 AM
it would be nice if they where not gender-locked, id love to customize every hero, and it might not be fun for guys and girls who want to play a girl or boy! im just praying they can implement it before launch, or it might not ever get there. :(

Reaper_Sykko
12-31-2016, 09:18 PM
i would definetly pay money for a genders unlock DLC for all classes , the peacekeeper would look dope as a male.

TCTF_SWAT
01-01-2017, 02:17 AM
I don't care since all characters I'll be playing will be female anyway. So I win either way.

whovie
01-01-2017, 02:48 AM
I can't believe this is an issue let alone a "dealbreaker" if you don't want to buy the game because of this non issue, don't. The last people i want on my team are people who are going to complain and quit the moment one thing doesnt go their way.

feuerundblut
01-02-2017, 01:37 PM
When I buy a game, I accept the artistic and the story view of the studio behind it without questioning whether it is right or wrong. If I don't like their decisions, I just don't buy it. And it works for any artistic or manufactured content. I don't see anyone buying a car and asking for the wheels to be square.

Please stop bringing your real life social issues into games. Would be nice.

VicTheButcher33
01-05-2017, 03:30 AM
Eh, I guess I never really thought about how I felt about the gender-locked classes. I guess because it doesn't make that much of a difference in a game like this. But I guess I could see why it would matter to some people, though people should pick their battles. I don't feel it's a deal breaker really. But if you're upset because you can't be the gender you want for a particular class, don't buy the game.

Barricade133
01-05-2017, 11:00 AM
It;s their universe and so it is their lore. If a class is gender locked in their game for X reason they can if they so choose. It's isn't a deal breaker for me but I am intrigued to learn why it is like this in the game world.

badAtTheGame.-
01-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Make all characters male. Need balance right? Chew on that, offended people ;););)

iHunny
01-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Make all characters male. Need balance right? Chew on that, offended people ;););)

I do not think anyone is offended :P

ShadowChorus
01-06-2017, 05:08 PM
Barring the Valkyrie, which, for reasons of it being a Valkyrie, I could see being female-only, most of the classes, at first glance, feel like they could be either gender. I don't mind them putting gender-locks in place so long as they provide at least a little bit of explanation as to why. If the answer is 'cause we didn't want to make more models' I would be a bit unsatisfied. If they've got actual storyline reasons or legitimate budget problems, I could be a bit more understanding.

Pope138
01-06-2017, 05:25 PM

Whoa! Too much edge!

Ymir.exe
01-06-2017, 09:30 PM
Male Warden? But the female warden is voiced by Jennifer Hale. Femshep represent! Femwardens unite!

iHunny
01-06-2017, 11:54 PM
For Honor is based on reality ... well despite of the earth fractions and all that stuff, but at least realistic from the point of physics.

And women cant fight?

AlmightyWarlock
01-07-2017, 12:15 AM
And women cant fight?

How does that quote in any way implicate that he was stating women cannot fight? Calm yourself down.

iHunny
01-07-2017, 12:26 AM
How does that quote in any way implicate that he was stating women cannot fight? Calm yourself down.

Well, thats what im trying to figure out, hence the question mark. Since nothing about "physics" makes any sence I figured it was about women fighting.

AlmightyWarlock
01-07-2017, 12:34 AM
I believe the reference was in part that the game was at its' core a more realistic game than games with magic or other such systems in them- such as the mentioned Dark Souls. In regards to physics, it's also my belief that the poster meant that in regards to how the world within the game interacts with itself, past being a split faction system in which these warriors didn't have interaction with eachother, it's well put together. Despite some of what I'd consider not particularly plausible combat maneuvers, I'd have to agree that within the realm of how the virtual world is suppose to act- it does so. To my eye at least, but I'm not a game-developer so I'm not particularly savvy towards whichever subtle nuances occur during the creation of a games physics engine.

This is all hearsay and I have no proof, they are simply my speculations.

Haltere15
01-07-2017, 12:55 AM
It honestly pisses me off, ubisoft keeps breaking promises they made earlier in the games development. The biggest being the offline mode and how they just completely cut that out making it so you have to be online. And now gender locking... one of the biggest attractions for me was the customization, games like this almost never have good character customization and i was pumped when i saw how much you could do. But now they are going to gender lock half the classes? When I play a game that gives me a choice in character i like to model the character after myself as much as i can so it makes me feel more into the game. I was so excited to play peacekeeper and model him after myself and try to make him look how i would want to look if i was actually my character but now I cant because the class is female only....No all this isn't game breaking but it is definitely taking out a lot of the long term playing. i want to build a character up get super good with them and make them my own different from everybody else and they are cutting that out. This feels a 100% like ubisoft is cutting corners. The no dedicated servers... the no offline mode... and now the gender locking... im just waiting to see what else they cut out right before release.

iHunny
01-07-2017, 07:06 AM
I believe the reference was in part that the game was at its' core a more realistic game than games with magic or other such systems in them- such as the mentioned Dark Souls. In regards to physics, it's also my belief that the poster meant that in regards to how the world within the game interacts with itself, past being a split faction system in which these warriors didn't have interaction with eachother, it's well put together. Despite some of what I'd consider not particularly plausible combat maneuvers, I'd have to agree that within the realm of how the virtual world is suppose to act- it does so. To my eye at least, but I'm not a game-developer so I'm not particularly savvy towards whichever subtle nuances occur during the creation of a games physics engine.

This is all hearsay and I have no proof, they are simply my speculations.

But what would this have to do with gender locked classes? Yust asking, hence my pervious questions.

Barricade133
01-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Just read a comment talking about Skugoki lore and it says this (he made a mistake on the height and corrected it a few comments later):

"First there was demands to even start a shugoki training. You had to be taller then 6 feet and 2 inches (about 2 meter which was rare for Japanese men and you had to weigh over 100 kilograms and be able to lift a 70 kilogram boulder straight up from the ground. After they passed these tests they got "their mask" at the age of 19 that they wore for pretty much the rest of their lifes, rarely removing it."

Here is the link to the original comment, scroll down a bit to find it-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqPOTfXLXOY

And while this game isn't adhering to every letter of actual history and such they have 2 non locked and 1 male and 1 female for each faction.

StatuaryRobert
01-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Well, i would like there to be no gender locking but there is an argument to be made that some characters would not fit a body type so well than the other. for example the Valkirie, i really dont think a male version of that class would look very good.

AlmightyWarlock
01-07-2017, 08:53 PM
But what would this have to do with gender locked classes? Yust asking, hence my pervious questions.

It doesn't really, it's pretty off topic the more I think about it.. You made an inquiry to the poster along the lines of asking if he meant to insinuate that women were incapable of fighting by mentioning the games' physics'- I merely attempted to lay out that the mention of physics in particular had nothing to do with women and their abilities to fight and attempted to rephrase their post along with a few carefully made points: I was incorrect it seems but hey, I tried!

As per the philosopher bit, nah- I just try to see things from a different point of view. A different lens, if you will.

iHunny
01-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Since armor never went as heavy as the Lawbringers armor in "reallity" I dont see why a woman should not be able to wear one in this power fantasy.

Ymir.exe
01-08-2017, 12:49 AM
Because making 6 new characters costs $$$$$ and the game comes out next month.

AlmightyWarlock
01-08-2017, 01:02 AM
Speaking of Women that wear Lawbringer armor- Apollyon. If you read the black page that comes with the Apollyon edition from Gamestop it gives some origins. It stands to reason that it is NOT out of the realm of possibility for women to use the armor, In regards to the note- It reads as such-

"Apollyon is the undisputed Warlord of the Blackstone Legion. And, through her, the Blackstones have come to rule Ashfield.

The young Apollyon gew up in the wilds. One year, a great Viking horde descended from Valkenheim. There were not enough Iron Legionnaires to defend everywhere at once--and so it was that a Lawbringer visited the village of the young warlord-to-be. He judged her people unworthy of defending, and rode aware to safer lands. When the Vikings came, few of her people survived.

It proved to be just one of the many horrors she would witness. And each one demonstrated to her clearly what the world demands of those who would live in it. There are predators, and there are prey. Humans are unique in the way they decide which they are.

She spent her youth training to fight. As a criminal, as a soldier, and later as a Warden.

When she was sixteen, she finally found the Lawbringer who had doomed her people. She ambushed him, dragged him into the street, and then brutally executed him. Afterwards, she brought his armor to a blacksmith, and had it re-fashioned to fit her. She wears it still. It is a warning against anyone who would dare to use the law against the strong.

When the knights of Ashfield grew tired of the Legions disinterested rule, Apollyon qwas among the fifteen founding Warmasters of the violent and ambitious Blackstone LEgion. Eight of those Warmasters tried to become the Blackstone Warlord. All save Apollyon died in the attempt. Now, she and the other six have taken demon names--as a reminder of what you must become to change the world.

She no longer speaks of her real name. Few still living have heard it."

AlmightyWarlock
01-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Just as a thought, have any one of you been to a ren-faire? A re-enactment festival? Try telling people that they cant wear heavy armor and be mobile in it. Really now, you're pulling at straws...

THEPH0NECOMPANY
01-08-2017, 09:58 PM
I would like to see male and female versions of all characters, and maybe even more customization options down the road, such as hair styles/beard styles and helmet-less options.

The gender locked classes are not game breaking concerns but neither is having a female shugoki or a male valkyrie immersion breaking, as i can see both of these classes being either gender

However they should totally focus on making the game well balanced and selling copies before they spend any time on this because its not that big of an issue to me in the end

Reaper_Sykko
01-08-2017, 11:24 PM
peacekeeper is basicaly one of these assassins from assassin creed , so why is it looked to femal what the hell, also femal shugoki would be super sexy

MisterWillow
01-10-2017, 07:09 AM
But this is the point I am talking about all the time ... the game is not meant to contain "power fantasy".
Please read what I wrote earlier.

The Raider is nothing but a power fantasy. The design philosophy for that character was ripped right out of Conan the Barbarian.

Cynath.
01-10-2017, 06:37 PM
I'm totally fine with it, a few years ago they would be all male and we wouldn't probably even complain. If they want to change anything, leave big guy and Valk as only gender locked option, as even a female warlord makes sense.

iHunny
01-10-2017, 08:07 PM
I'm totally fine with it, a few years ago they would be all male and we wouldn't probably even complain. If they want to change anything, leave big guy and Valk as only gender locked option, as even a female warlord makes sense.

This sounds like a good compremise to me, even tho a female Shugoki and male Valkyrie would be awesome. if they manage to make them look good that is.

LoLo_t.W.O.
01-11-2017, 12:42 AM
One of the reasons for single-gender classes (I think) is that they couldn't produce good enough character in time. Character being the model, the voice, the animations, all that stuff.
I also think someone had already said that.

WinterHt
01-11-2017, 02:11 AM
A solid "don't give a damn" from me :). With tendencies towards "yes", as they are rather fine the way they are, and I'd rather like the considerable resources to be spent on such a trivial thing to be better used for more content for game.

Avlaen
01-13-2017, 04:04 PM
i really really hope they wont be genderlocked forever. i really want a female lawbringer and dont see why a female couldnt be a lawbringer? or why a female cant use a sword and shield and be a warlord?

Dez_troi_aR
01-13-2017, 05:43 PM
I cant believe we are still discussing this... :D

Netherleap
01-14-2017, 09:07 PM
I tried so hard to refrain from commenting on this but...

I really dislike any class being gender locked only of ONE sole reason: the sound effects!
I want to play my favorite class as male only because i cannot stand female shouting, grunting and crying in games. It always freaksme out.
Remembers me of this ppl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rewQx4IKidw

Pope138
01-17-2017, 04:43 PM
To put the argument in context, the devs said for a year and a half that you could pick a character in multiplayer and customise everything about them, from their armour, to their weapons, to their skin tone, and yes, to their gender, before stating at Gamescom a few months ago that the 'new' classes---that is, the ones not present in the Alphas---would each be gender locked. This, I believe, is the primary cause of the outrage. It smacks of deception or betrayal.

Stopped reading there.
Deception and betrayal? How naive do you have to be to not understand that a game in development is subject to change? This happens all the time. Nothing is final until the game launches.
Halo was originally an RTS.

That being said, It's a shame some classes are gender locked, but gamebreaker? Hardly.

Sarcasticjab
01-17-2017, 06:05 PM
You probably should have kept reading. He said he understood basically in the next line.

Pope138
01-17-2017, 10:11 PM
You probably should have kept reading. He said he understood basically in the next line.

Ahh, gotcha.
This is what happens when you're too cool to read an entire post. Lesson learned.

ShadowNinjax29
02-10-2017, 01:05 AM
i cant stand playing a female in video games for some reason and when something is locked to one gender it really bothers me. ive been so excited for this game since i wanted to play peacekeeper since i thought HE looked really fun to play, but the peacekeeper class can only be played as a female which really pisses me off cause they said that all class would be customizable in every way including gender. i really hope they change this :(

Damage_Incorp
02-10-2017, 01:37 AM
Yes.A woman being as big as the warlord or lawbringer is ******ed