PDA

View Full Version : Does it teach you how to dance? JUST DANCE 2017

Paul.GR
12-26-2016, 04:58 PM
Hello guys,

New to the Just Dance series as I recently got a ps4 so I have no clue about it, other than that you dance.

I had a question regarding the new Just Dance 2017, before purchasing it.

Does it actually teach you how to dance? By that, I mean, does it step by step, SLOWLY, teaches you how to dance in some sort of mode? Not everyone is a dancing pro. I actually tried the one song demo and it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to actually follow what was shown on the screen as I have no idea what I am doing, and everything happens so fast as the song goes by. Three times I tried, all of them I was just moving my head in my living room like a *******. It ends up being stupid instead of funny. I don't mean if it can replace a real dance instructor obviously, but is there at least some mode where you can learn the moves of a song before dancing it normally, instead of being thrown in it and seeing moves you have no idea how to do?

Note that I am using the ps4 camera for it.

UbiJurassic
12-27-2016, 08:38 PM
Hey Paul.GR, the game does not teach the moves of each song. Just Dance songs are best learned through practice and repetition. Although the game does not teach each move, playing the song several times should enable you to master each move and interpret the diagrams with ease. Keep in mind that each song's moves range in difficulty and intricacy. If you find yourself frustrated with a certain song, I'd recommend taking a break from it. When you come back to the song, take the time to focus on the moves and diagrams instead of the score. Eventually, you should have a firm grasp on the moves required to ace the song :)

In the past, players have submitted feedback asking for a practice mode. Assuming that is what you are asking for, I'd be more than happy to forward the suggestion to the team for consideration.

Paul.GR
12-28-2016, 09:21 PM
Thank you for your reply!

Please do forward this to the team as it is a feature that you would expect would be there when buying a dancing game!

I did have trouble with the demo but I'll give it another go. Main thing holding me down is that Just Dance 2017 costs 60 euro on ps4 and no sale was given for it, although most of the store is on a Xmas sale. Also, the PC version is on a -40% sale.

Don't know why no sale on the ps4 version is up...

UbiJurassic
12-29-2016, 10:32 PM
Thank you for your reply!

Please do forward this to the team as it is a feature that you would expect would be there when buying a dancing game!

I did have trouble with the demo but I'll give it another go. Main thing holding me down is that Just Dance 2017 costs 60 euro on ps4 and no sale was given for it, although most of the store is on a Xmas sale. Also, the PC version is on a -40% sale.

Don't know why no sale on the ps4 version is up...

Not a problem! I'll forward along what you said, Paul.GR!

TheSweeper77
02-04-2017, 02:17 PM
@UbiJurrasic

Honestly I'm surprised that something as simple as a 'practice mode' or even a 'beginner mode' is not already part of your software.

Here's how to do it easily:
Offer a setting that will allow you to dance the song 25-50% slower than normal. It will slow the dance map and music down by the same amount. To keep things sounding correctly, you must correct the music for the pitch changes that occurr when slowing it down, but this is not a difficult challenge.

Why to do it:
1. It's safer:
You have many people in a room flailing about frantically trying to get the moves right but because they have no practice they run into eachother and other objects frequently. Offering practice modes will allow the users to understand where the dance takes them in the room before trying to dance, watch the screen, and watch the room at the same time all at the normal 'lightening' pace.
2. It's healthier:
Many people who turn on Just Dance are still thinking of it as a game. They don't warm up, stretch in, stretch out, and cool down. They just turn it on and play. For a child this may not be as detrimental, but for someone older this can be unhealthy. Moving at the pace set forth by your dancers at the default rate is strenuous and energetic motion. It's great exercise, but for so many they don't exercise often so this game is like a shock to the system. Having a practice mode will allow them to get used to the moves and activity level so that they don't hurt themselves by over-exertion.
3. It increases your user base and income $$$:
Consider those with less physical ability who simply cannot run and jump around like a 17yr old kid. Many people look at the dance moves and view them to be unrealistic for their fitness level. By offering a slowed down option, the whole family can participate and more people will buy your game.
4. It increases in-game time:
Let's face it, you want people playing your games as much as possible. If you offer them the chance to play the game in a slow mode then you are ensuring that they interact with your software for longer and longer periods of time. That's advertising for you Ubisoft.
5. It is more FUN:
Honestly, I love to dance, but like most people we can be shy about dancing in public because we don't know any moves. This is why we buy your dance games!! We really want to learn the moves and become a pro at the moves, but so many of the songs are just CRAZY. Not impossible, but the learning curve is exceptionally steep for many users. If you give us the chance to learn the moves properly then we feel more confident and enjoy the game even more.

prince1716
02-24-2017, 04:02 AM
Interesting!Thanks for sharing this opportunity for the dancing aspirants.

Kindly share your thought about this site http://www.danceusadance.us/ (http://www.danceusadance.us/)

Thanks!
Prince17

jeffparkerus
02-27-2017, 09:32 PM
Hey Paul.GR, the game does not teach the moves of each song. Just Dance songs are best learned through practice and repetition. Although the game does not teach each move, playing the song several times should enable you to master each move and interpret the diagrams with ease. Keep in mind that each song's moves range in difficulty and intricacy. If you find yourself frustrated with a certain song, I'd recommend taking a break from it. When you come back to the song, take the time to focus on the moves and diagrams instead of the score. Eventually, you should have a firm grasp on the moves required to ace the song :)

In the past, players have submitted feedback asking for a practice mode. Assuming that is what you are asking for, I'd be more than happy to forward the suggestion to the team for consideration.

Right

UBERginger
03-07-2017, 02:02 AM
Not a problem! I'll forward along what you said, Paul.GR!

I know this is a bit dated, but I'd also like to tag on and ask for a practice mode. I recently tried Just Dance 2017 for the first time and became immediately frustrated and discouraged. In years past, I have played a different dance game which not only had a practice mode but also allowed you to pause in the middle of a song to practice a specific move if you were struggling which I found highly valuable.

The helper at the bottom is not very specific and moves quickly. By the time I've made any sort of guess at what move is coming up, it's already passed.

I was really looking forward to playing and learning the dances, but was incredibly discouraged by my experience and the lack of any type of practice or slow mode. If an update with slow/practice mode became available in the near future, I'd be more inclined to give it another shot.

BeatsOfRage
06-24-2017, 04:27 PM
I know this is a bit dated, but I'd also like to tag on and ask for a practice mode. I recently tried Just Dance 2017 for the first time and became immediately frustrated and discouraged. In years past, I have played a different dance game which not only had a practice mode but also allowed you to pause in the middle of a song to practice a specific move if you were struggling which I found highly valuable.

The helper at the bottom is not very specific and moves quickly. By the time I've made any sort of guess at what move is coming up, it's already passed.

I was really looking forward to playing and learning the dances, but was incredibly discouraged by my experience and the lack of any type of practice or slow mode. If an update with slow/practice mode became available in the near future, I'd be more inclined to give it another shot.

this. for all of the reasons explained.

greekphysics
07-24-2017, 10:27 PM
When I was new to Just Dance, I really wished there was a practice mode. However, now that I've mastered most of the dances quite well, and have seen so many other great dancers from around the world in video challenges and on the world dance floor, I see a potential problem with a practice mode. As hard as the dances seem to see correctly and pull off when you're learning Just Dance (they seemed very hard to me back when I was a novice), it's amazing that there are hundreds of dancers who can hit high 12,000's and even 13,000's on many of the dances. For example, there are several hundred dancers global with a high score of 13,000 on Bailar and Te Dominar who use Xbox One with a Kinect sensor, and a few hundred who have hit 13,000 on other relatively easy dances as well. It's incredible how many players worldwide can hit virtually all perfects on the easier dances. (On Wii U, this happens with Dragostea din Tei and the alternate version of Watch Me, for example, with 1000 players having hit 12,700 on Dragostea din Tei.)

The top dancers are crushing the easy dances without practice mode, and the top few hundred players globally are hitting high 12,000's and some 13,000's on all 55 dances, and they're doing this without practice mode. I can see the top players really taking advantage of practice mode. Once you've mastered a dance, there are often just a few moves left that you're not sure about, and if you could easily practice those repeatedly, the top players would find it easier to hit all perfects. I'm wondering if this may be part of the reason that there isn't currently a practice mode with, say, a REWIND option.

However, there are hundreds of thousands of dancers who would benefit from a practice mode, and just a few hundred in comparison who would find it easier to turn great scores into unbelievable scores, depending on what kind of a practice mode might be introduced.

Maybe there is a way to offer a practice mode without making it much easier for the top players to progress. A slower version of the dance that doesn't give you score feedback would let you get the hang of the dance. Or if you could just practice the bread and butter moves (rather than the whole dance), with scores like OK and PERFECT, that are the main sequences, then everyone could learn the dance in practice mode, while the top dancers wouldn't be able to just practice the tricky moves to figure them out in less time.

What I really think should be done is this: Put some sequences from every dance in the Just Dance Machine. This way, the Just Dance Machine would help everyone learn some key components of every dance, and it could be presented as a recommended thing to do before trying the full dances. If they aren't full dances in practice mode, top players wouldn't be taking advantage of this mode. Maybe there could be two modes in Dance Machine, one with a slower speed, and one at regular speed.

I actually PRACTICE almost every day, and I do it presently, where there isn't a practice mode. Every dance can be found on YouTube. I pull up YouTube on my smart t.v. (or you can pull it up on your t.v. using Wii U or XBox One, for example), and dance along to the videos. For the harder dances, like Scream and Shout Extreme or Sorry Extreme, I frequently rewind the dance to practice the sequence over and over until I feel like I understand it better. It may not seem ideal, but it's better than nothing, and it has worked very well for me. Like everyone else, I was once a novice, too. (Another thing that helps a lot is video challenges. I study my own video, my opponent's video, and then I practice the tricky moves in front of a mirror.)

I'm a huge fan of Just Dance. I love it, and can't wait for Just Dance 2018 to come out. (You can already dance to short clips from selected songs at YouTube.)