PDA

View Full Version : Gender Locking (Gamebreaker)

xion09
12-20-2016, 08:51 PM
A 2017 game gender locking? Seriously?

On principle I won't buy a game that gender locks nowadays. In a fantasy setting, with any customization whatsoever, the only excuse for doing this is laziness. Here's an idea, have both genders for every playable class. I doubt anyone cares about historical accuracy, and if that was your goal in the first place, you've already failed.

If you plan on changing this, or releasing a DLC at some point near the release of the game, now would be a good time to mention it.

Pope138
12-20-2016, 10:25 PM
So, If I heard correctly, each faction has 4 classes. 2 can be either gender, one is locked to male and one is locked to female. If this is true, then yeah, there's gender locking, but at least it's equal. Also, without knowing the reasoning behind this decision I can't get behind any kind of protest or boycott. Maybe it's an issue of time or allocating resources that are needed more elsewhere. We don't know why so I feel it's wrong to just label the devs as nefarious and launch some sort of boycott.

Dez_troi_aR
12-20-2016, 10:41 PM
On principal I won't buy a game that gender locks nowadays. .

Ok, goodbye.

feuerundblut
12-21-2016, 01:59 AM
You will never play The Witcher 3 or Tomb Raider reboots? Seriously?

xion09
12-21-2016, 07:12 AM
You will never play The Witcher 3 or Tomb Raider reboots? Seriously?

Context is important. Any game in which the character I want to play is a gender I don't want them to be, I will not play. Distinctions should be made accordingly. In the case of For Honor, there's really no excuse.

waraidako
12-21-2016, 01:13 PM

On principal I won't buy a game that gender locks nowadays. In a fantasy setting, with any customization whatsoever, the only excuse for doing this is laziness. Here's an idea, have both genders for every playable class. I doubt anyone cares about historical accuracy, and if that was your goal in the first place, you've already failed.

If you plan on changing this, or releasing a DLC at some point near the release of the game, now would be a good time to mention it.

Checklist:

No excuse! ✔
Ridiculous statements ✔
Current Year argument ✔
Armchair game development ✔
Speaking on behalf of everyone else ✔
Threatening not to buy the game because X feature isn't implemented ✔

Also, a principal is a job title. Prinicple is the term you're looking for. You say that in a fantasy setting with any customisation whatsoever, the only excuse for doing this is laziness. First of all I'm going to ingore the gross exaggeration here, as any customisation could be something as small as being able to pick the colour of your socks. But I am going to ask that you back this up with something more substantial.

Because I'm going to back up their decision not to do it, with this video, showing exactly how complex this typ of animation work is. And I am going to remind you, that what you're asking for is that this be done for 6 whole different characters. If we separate all of the heroes into male and female we get 24 characters, 12 of them are male and female, and 12 of them are either male or female. You're basically asking for the devs to do 25% more work just for this small cosmetic benefit. And that's just the animation, that's just the motion capture work for each character. That's not even considering all of the armour tweaks you'd need, and the voice lines for both multiplayer and the singleplayer campaign.

But that's not your problem, is it? You just want the thing you want, and you don't care what the cost of that is for someone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pdcA3mhe0E

Context is important. Any game in which the character I want to play is a gender I don't want them to be, I will not play. Distinctions should be made accordingly. In the case of For Honor, there's really no excuse.

And that's your choice. This game is not for you, then. You have the right to not play a game because some small detail bothers you, but you do not have the right to have games changed to fit your personal preferences.

N1GTHCR0W
12-21-2016, 02:38 PM
i want all classes with the 2 genders ,don't make sense have characters with only female

FissionXG
12-21-2016, 03:59 PM
As I have stated in other forum posts, please consider the possibility that the gender locked classes were locked because that was the first model they had finished. Perhaps due to their timeline and work schedule, they made the decision to include the classes. Is it not possible that the devs chose to have the classes play tested for balance and feedback purposes rather than exclude them from the test simply because they had not finished both models? I am sure they will have both genders for every class! With the very large BETA coming in just a few short weeks, these guys are working like crazy to absorb all of the feedback from the test, polish out some more content, and still spend time with their families over the holidays. Please understand that For Honor has the potential to positively impact the gaming industry in massive ways and I know we are all very excited for this title! Happy holidays!

Pope138
12-21-2016, 04:15 PM

I am so thankful I do not have such rigid criteria for gaming. I would/will have missed out on some truly special gaming experiences.

xion09
12-21-2016, 06:25 PM
And that's your choice. This game is not for you, then. You have the right to not play a game because some small detail bothers you, but you do not have the right to have games changed to fit your personal preferences.

I have every right to give my opinion. You have the right to ignore it. Remember, the change I'm promoting wouldn't detract from anyone's gaming experience, but currently would detract from my own. That's the distinction you're ignoring. Why argue against a point that would have no impact on your gaming experience whatsoever? Up in arms for the sake of it seems like a huge waste of energy.

Lets be honest here, they should cater to their primary audience. Either go all male characters, or give the option for both. I'd be willing to bet a poll would back this up.

waraidako
12-21-2016, 06:31 PM
Why argue against it? Why not re-read my post again? I explained it once already.

GOREBEARD
12-21-2016, 07:05 PM

On principle I won't buy a game that gender locks nowadays. In a fantasy setting, with any customization whatsoever, the only excuse for doing this is laziness. Here's an idea, have both genders for every playable class. I doubt anyone cares about historical accuracy, and if that was your goal in the first place, you've already failed.

Yeah please dont buy it thn because most of us dont want to deal with pc people even in our free time.

Knowledge33
12-21-2016, 07:14 PM

Right, so why don't I see you crying about them not including transgender (I know it's not an actual gender, but it emphasizes my point)? Or some other nonsense like that? Good for us that we won't have a whiny cry-baby in game with us with you not playing over some asenine BS. And don't get mad, there is nothing you can write to support/back up your point...all you're doing is armchair developing. Way to go buddy. Nice job. Pfft.

Dez_troi_aR
12-21-2016, 08:34 PM
Checklist:

No excuse! ✔
Ridiculous statements ✔
Current Year argument ✔

Also, a principal is a job title. Prinicple is the term you're looking for. You say that in a fantasy setting with any customisation whatsoever, the only excuse for doing this is laziness. First of all I'm going to ingore the gross exaggeration here, as any customisation could be something as small as being able to pick the colour of your socks. But I am going to ask that you back this up with something more substantial.

Because I'm going to back up their decision not to do it, with this video, showing exactly how complex this typ of animation work is. And I am going to remind you, that what you're asking for is that this be done for 6 whole different characters. If we separate all of the heroes into male and female we get 24 characters, 12 of them are male and female, and 12 of them are either male or female. You're basically asking for the devs to do 25% more work just for this small cosmetic benefit. And that's just the animation, that's just the motion capture work for each character. That's not even considering all of the armour tweaks you'd need, and the voice lines for both multiplayer and the singleplayer campaign.

But that's not your problem, is it? You just want the thing you want, and you don't care what the cost of that is for someone else.

Waraidako is a dangerous lunatic because he thinks that pirates belong into this game but in this post he makes so much sense i had to repost it.

Now would you please get over that gender thing ? I thought that girls were ugly and strange, too, but then i got into 2nd grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEjeaqBjucc

el_CHINOCUDEIRO
12-21-2016, 08:48 PM
Gamebreaker? Are you serious?
:confused:

coolbord9
12-21-2016, 09:05 PM
Does any other fighting game offer this?

Pope138
12-21-2016, 10:32 PM

I have every right to give my opinion. You have the right to ignore it. Remember, the change I'm promoting wouldn't detract from anyone's gaming experience, but currently would detract from my own. That's the distinction you're ignoring. Why argue against a point that would have no impact on your gaming experience whatsoever? Up in arms for the sake of it seems like a huge waste of energy.

Lets be honest here, they should cater to their primary audience. Either go all male characters, or give the option for both. I'd be willing to bet a poll would back this up.

I don't think it's your opinion he has a problem with, rather, your sense of entitlement.

Also, that poll you mentioned? Of course people are going to prefer more options--I know I do. But Ubisoft isn't withholding these gender options "just because." We don't know for sure the reason why but it isn't just to be politically incorrect meanies. It could be time restraints, resource allocation, budgetary--who knows?

People would love a gold nugget at the bottom of every box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I bet a poll would back this up, regardless of the feasibility of such a thing being possible by the good people at General Mills.

SyntheticDuckie
12-21-2016, 11:38 PM
Gender neutral bathrooms
Entitlement for being born
Merry Christmas into Happy Holidays

Now, this!? "A 2017 game gender locking? Seriously?"

You sir, have gone too far!

Closing notes. Man up. There would be an F-Bomb in there if Ubi allowed it. So please, picture it with an F-Bomb.

Sgtbanks
12-22-2016, 12:04 AM

They've done a really great job of putting females and males in. It doesn't matter to me in the end if I play as a boy or girl, but I personally like the gender locked classes. Its not laziness, its just their take on each class. You need to calm down and think about what your talking about. The biggest problems in the game to you aren't graphics, gameplay, story, mechanics, coop, multiplayer, balance, cost, or dlc but instead being foreced to play AS A MAN OR WOMAN. And your solution is asking them to put it in as DLC? You'd pay for that? Haha I pray our community on average is better then that. I care about videogames, not social issues currently being discussed around us in 2016-17 and those influences should only come through if the develpoers want it to. These games should come pure from the developers with regards to their own creativity, not forced to add things that they originally didn't plan for because you demand it should be in the game. Side note, could you imagine a huge shugoki female picking up a 6ft something male barbarian. Its just a little less immersion for me.

AlmightyWarlock
12-22-2016, 12:07 AM
I played the PS4 CA- what changed that all of a sudden there will be gender locking? Because in CA there was most certainly the ability to change gender with class. I don't see why it would start now- don't cry about something that isn't even confirmed.

Sgtbanks
12-22-2016, 12:13 AM

Oh, but it does detract from others gaming experience. You act like this would be so easy and wouldn't take money and resources to implement. Those resources and time could be put towards adding content and so much more to the actually game. It has taken them a long time to show off all these characters for good reasons. Every cent counts to a business like this. There's a reason they cut spilt screen! Because they didn't have the time or man power to finish it. It wasn't viable to them just like this probably wouldn't be either.

Sgtbanks
12-22-2016, 12:21 AM
I played the PS4 CA- what changed that all of a sudden there will be gender locking? Because in CA there was most certainly the ability to change gender with class. I don't see why it would start now- don't cry about something that isn't even confirmed.

Just some classes are gender locked. Warden's and I think the original classes all have female or male, but peacekeepers and a couple others are locked

Avirex_Idyll
12-22-2016, 08:48 AM
Just some classes are gender locked. Warden's and I think the original classes all have female or male, but peacekeepers and a couple others are locked

This is correct. Some classes are locked as male or female while others can be changed. I do not believe this is a bad thing as some classes are gender specific; the Valkyrie should be lock into a female role.

feuerundblut
12-22-2016, 10:00 AM
This is correct. Some classes are locked as male or female while others can be changed. I do not believe this is a bad thing as some classes are gender specific; the Valkyrie should be lock into a female role.

The nobushi should be exclusively female as well cause their weapon, the naginata, has always been associated to women. Even nowadays, the naginatajutsu, which is the martial art with this weapon, is more practised by women than men.

Lewie B I ReQ
12-23-2016, 05:52 PM
the things people complain about these days can be so petty. the game is gonna be player hosted servers and you are complaing that some classes are gender locked?

does it really matter what gender they are? i mean really? player hosted servers aside the game is brilliant. absolutely brilliant but yeah sure boy cot the game because you cant have every class as male/female

UlfhednaR_BEAST
12-23-2016, 07:20 PM

weird.

Avirex_Idyll
12-23-2016, 07:32 PM

I can't help but feel that reasoning like this stops you from playing A LOT of games. I am all for customization options in a fantasy style game or MMO, but For Honor is neither. The level of customization in For Honor is excellent for the content provided within the overall game.

iHunny
12-26-2016, 04:01 PM

The male version could be named something else, like Einherjar.

The nobushi should be exclusively female as well cause their weapon, the naginata, has always been associated to women. Even nowadays, the naginatajutsu, which is the martial art with this weapon, is more practised by women than men.

While the naginata might be assosiated with females its not a exclusive female weapon and males used the weapon aswell.

The_Quieter
12-26-2016, 06:17 PM
'They should satisfy me'

No, they really shouldn't.

SyntheticDuckie
12-27-2016, 04:01 AM
Did you just assume the Nobushi's gender?

whovie
12-27-2016, 08:13 AM
All this fuss over gender locking is really just drawing attention away from the real game breaking aspect of this game which is Species locking. I firmly identify with my Noldorian kin and find it thus appalling that the only species represented in this game is of men. Granted they were Iluvatar's favorite (Praise Iluvatar) they were far from the only species, nor were they even the first to walk the world. How is it that in the year of Iluvatar 2016/17 that games can be released and this not be addressed. While its no surprise that the dimwhitted dwarves were left out or that Melkors abomination of Uriks and Orcs also fail to appear. But the dismissal of the children of light, the first to walk the earth is something that is truly disheartening.

Those who truly wish equality and representation of all should cast aside their griping of the characters sex and focus on the real injustice of the barring of my kin from the battlefield. This provided I am still willing to belittle myself and participate as a member of a species not my own to show they may take our pride but they will never take our freedom.

keizersozer
12-28-2016, 10:55 AM
That can be a cool feature and every body likes cool features but far from being a must.
I prefer the dev to focus on more core aspect of the game with little time they have left before release and god know how much pressure they have at the moment.
what is more important now in my opinion, is that a character works as perfectly as possible animation and voice wise. game needs to be running smoothly for a start.

Dez_troi_aR
12-28-2016, 11:43 AM
That can be a cool feature and every body likes cool features but far from being a must.
I prefer the dev to focus on more core aspect of the game with little time they have left before release and god know how much pressure they have at the moment.
what is more important now in my opinion, is that a character works as perfectly as possible animation and voice wise. game needs to be running smoothly for a start.

Is this an answer to whovies comment ? Because i am quite shure that it is meant to mock people who consider every little detail that does not please them 100% "a deal breker" by demonstrating how different experctations and wishes can be. Also i am quite shure he is not really kin to Feanor and Fingolfin for the last of the Noldor left the mortal realm at the dawn of the 4th age.

keizersozer
12-28-2016, 02:55 PM
Is this an answer to whovies comment ? Because i am quite shure that it is meant to mock people who consider every little detail that does not please them 100% "a deal breker" by demonstrating how different experctations and wishes can be. Also i am quite shure he is not really kin to Feanor and Fingolfin for the last of the Noldor left the mortal realm at the dawn of the 4th age.

nah that was just my honest answer with no irony to the original post.
I mean lets face it, game is about to be released in like 2.5 month plus don't forget the beta they will be lunching in January so they need to processed with a lot of data collection and need to fix?tweak a lot of stuff that are core to the base. so character gender at the moment is far from being an immense gamebreaker.
I would prefer them to focus on more important matter like bring the best online experience which i think a lot of people are concern with, but I am going of topic now.

Dez_troi_aR
12-28-2016, 05:37 PM
nah that was just my honest answer with no irony to the original post.
I mean lets face it, game is about to be released in like 2.5 month plus don't forget the beta they will be lunching in January so they need to processed with a lot of data collection and need to fix?tweak a lot of stuff that are core to the base. so character gender at the moment is far from being an immense gamebreaker.
I would prefer them to focus on more important matter like bring the best online experience which i think a lot of people are concern with, but I am going of topic now.

I totally agree with you, they should focus on optimizing online architecture and not be distracted by unimportant details like one customization option more or less, no matter how many kids shake their fist in anger and swear to never ever buy the game and hate ubi forever and totally smash all toys in their room.

BUT : .....releasedate is in 1,5 months, not in 2,5. You almost gave me a heart attack.

SyntheticDuckie
12-29-2016, 01:14 AM
All this fuss over gender locking is really just drawing attention away from the real game breaking aspect of this game which is Species locking. I firmly identify with my Noldorian kin and find it thus appalling that the only species represented in this game is of men. Granted they were Iluvatar's favorite (Praise Iluvatar) they were far from the only species, nor were they even the first to walk the world. How is it that in the year of Iluvatar 2016/17 that games can be released and this not be addressed. While its no surprise that the dimwhitted dwarves were left out or that Melkors abomination of Uriks and Orcs also fail to appear. But the dismissal of the children of light, the first to walk the earth is something that is truly disheartening.

Those who truly wish equality and representation of all should cast aside their griping of the characters sex and focus on the real injustice of the barring of my kin from the battlefield. This provided I am still willing to belittle myself and participate as a member of a species not my own to show they may take our pride but they will never take our freedom.

I like you <3

ImmortalSpells
12-29-2016, 09:19 AM

completely agree, it absolutely pains me to see that all 96 and a half genders aren't included.

SliceOBread
12-29-2016, 09:48 AM
Another "deal breaker". Don't want, don't buy ? There's so many of these absurd topics now that i'm starting to lose hope in humanity ;/

keizersozer
12-29-2016, 10:29 AM
BUT : .....releasedate is in 1,5 months, not in 2,5. You almost gave me a heart attack.

You really made me laugh out there!!!!
:D:D:D

The_Quieter
12-29-2016, 03:12 PM
Another "deal breaker". Don't want, don't buy ? There's so many of these absurd topics now that i'm starting to lose hope in humanity ;/

I've been gaming for so long that I've mostly grown numb to them.

magicyak99
12-29-2016, 10:59 PM
The only classes I know of being gender locked are the three hybrids, the shugoki, and the warlord. I remember seeing male and female versions for all the classes in the entirety of the closed alpha.

My question being, are they completely scrapping the idea of giving the gender option to a select few classes, and every single hero class for every faction had its gender decided?
(apologize if this has been answered.)
Ive seen so many of these discussions pop up and not once do I see a set stone answer on which heroes the gender locking schematic expands towards.
just a lot of heated arguments.

waraidako
12-30-2016, 01:40 AM
The only classes I know of being gender locked are the three hybrids, the shugoki, and the warlord. I remember seeing male and female versions for all the classes in the entirety of the closed alpha.

My question being, are they completely scrapping the idea of giving the gender option to a select few classes, and every single hero class for every faction had its gender decided?
(apologize if this has been answered.)
Ive seen so many of these discussions pop up and not once do I see a set stone answer on which heroes the gender locking schematic expands towards.
just a lot of heated arguments.

The Valkyrie, Nobushi, and Peacekeeper are gender locked female only.
The Warlord, Shugoki, and Lawbringer are gender locked male only.

Stoffan200
12-31-2016, 02:35 AM
Checklist:

No excuse! ✔
Ridiculous statements ✔
Current Year argument ✔

YES! you are so right i agree 110%! some gamers just sometimes forget how hard it really is to make this stuff. im currently learning about this stuff in college, and i have to say it seems so ****ing time cinsuming i just look back at game si have played and say wow, how the ff... it just makes you understand how much effort they really put into their game. the time, i just cant think of how..

anyways im gonna look at the video now, i hope people think like you more, cuz ur right 110%!

LiveKiller7x
01-06-2017, 08:11 AM
TBH I don't want to see a female Shugoki, no just no... :P