PDA

View Full Version : Trying to do dual install 1.22 & AEP but not working..any ideas?

Capt_Pepper
03-10-2004, 09:28 PM
I wanted to keep 1.22 and AEP as separates to be able to play both but so far, no go. I've read a few threads about doing this but must be doing something wrong.
I first deleted all existing FB's and started from scratch. I realize there's probably hidden files but I don't know where/how to find them. In any event, I installed new FB (1.0) from ACE pack.
Copied it, put it in a different folder and renamed it. Then added the 1.22 patch, still keeping a separate 1.0 copy. That worked fine.

Problem is every time I install the AEP disc, it automatically adds itself to both the original 1.0 version as well as the separate 1.22 resulting in 2 programs of AEP.

I've tried several ways to keep them separate, but everytime the AEP is installed, it just keeps finding all FB's and adds itself to it.

I'm at a loss.

Would anyone please share with me a step by step method of doing this? I know it can't be that hard, but I've tried every way I can think of.

Thanks VERY for any help someone might be willing to share.

Capt_Pepper
03-10-2004, 09:28 PM
I wanted to keep 1.22 and AEP as separates to be able to play both but so far, no go. I've read a few threads about doing this but must be doing something wrong.
I first deleted all existing FB's and started from scratch. I realize there's probably hidden files but I don't know where/how to find them. In any event, I installed new FB (1.0) from ACE pack.
Copied it, put it in a different folder and renamed it. Then added the 1.22 patch, still keeping a separate 1.0 copy. That worked fine.

Problem is every time I install the AEP disc, it automatically adds itself to both the original 1.0 version as well as the separate 1.22 resulting in 2 programs of AEP.

I've tried several ways to keep them separate, but everytime the AEP is installed, it just keeps finding all FB's and adds itself to it.

I'm at a loss.

Would anyone please share with me a step by step method of doing this? I know it can't be that hard, but I've tried every way I can think of.

Thanks VERY for any help someone might be willing to share.

Weather_Man
03-10-2004, 10:38 PM
Have you tried on separate partitions?

Capt_Pepper
03-10-2004, 10:45 PM
My apologies, I don't know what that means....
can you explain please?

Weather_Man
03-11-2004, 12:47 AM
Adding a partition to your harddrive is like having a separate harddrive connected. Your primary volume is C:/ and you can create new volumes within that labeled D:/ or E:/ or however many you want.

This allows you to install multiple programs so that they do not interfere since they are in physically separate locations-- c: and d: and so on.

For further info, go to help and support in the Windows start menu and type in partition.

Note: if you do this, install AEP on the primary C: partion and FB on any other.

B16Enk
03-11-2004, 03:45 AM
An alternative, that would also introduce you to an essential utility:

Use windows back up to back up your FB install, to 'file'.

Do the AEP install.

Restore from backup to an alternative location.

RobertNighthawk
03-11-2004, 03:57 AM
Steve V (the Brain) posted this:
posted 10-03-04 19:02
Although AEP will install over any version of FB, there have been almost no reported problems when using v1.0. Suggest a complete FB uninstall and reinstall. Do not move or modify any FB file. AEP will install to the FB location recorded in the registry. All done. Have some fun.

AEP has arrived!

Looks like it wants to be in the same partition. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cheers

CDN_Merlin
03-11-2004, 05:07 AM
Try this, copy your entire IL2 1.22 folder to another location and rename it to IL2 1.22.

Then, install AEP over the original version. THis way, you will have the 1.22 and the AEP version. Just make a shortcut to the exe file from the 1.22 since the one you already have will be pointing to the AEP version.

Beta tester for:
C&C Generals, Independance War 2,Starfleet Command 2,Settlers IV,Tzar,Allegiance,Starfleet Command,MAX 2,Defiance

Capt_Pepper
03-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Just a w;ord to say thanks to all of you for the response and help.

FYI, for anyone else that may want to do this, Weatherman's suggestion to partition was the one that worked for me.

I deleted all previous FB installations, reinstalled 1.0 from the new ace pack, added the 1.22 patch and at that point, copied it to my D drive.

Then I installed AEP which as expected, loaded into my C drive, and it now works perfectly. Interestingly, AEP also carried over to the D drive, and for whatever reason, the program file there now has both 1.22 as well as AEP, depending upon which FB icon you open.... (there's 2 in there now, but no other duplication of any of the other FB files.)

Also of interest in the D drive, both AEP as well as 1.22 work fine, along with the standalone AEP in the C drive. There's also no duplication of the program in the Add/Remove file, which only shows as AEP.

Bottom line, thanks to all of you for the help!