PDA

View Full Version : P-63 vs P-51 online assessment

RedSpar
03-03-2004, 11:11 PM
I flew the P-63 online tonight for a few hours against some crack pilots flying the P-51D20.

P-51 is slightly faster compared to the 63, this becomes more pronounced at higher altitudes. However the P-63 was superior in sustained climb. I had no problem catching the P-51 when I chased him all the way up to 6000m. He tried to spiral climb on me but I continued to close on him.

Once at high altitude I could outturn him but he could outrun me and zoom climb away and turn back and attack. Realizing that I was at a disadvantage up this high I dived down at high speed to bring him down to a lower altitude where I would say the P63 is superior performer.

The P-63 has poor elevator authority in a high speed dive so watch out! A P51 or FW190 will pull out sooner than you so watch your speed and angle of dive.

Having 60rnds of 37mm makes a big difference on how you use the cannon. Don't be afraid to take higher risk shots more often than you did with the P-39. You may get a hit. Not sure of this, but the firing rate seems slightly faster than the P-39s, 37mm. Don't take the .50 gunpods for dogfighting, as they slow the plane down too much and you will lose the advantages that the P-63 gives you.

P-63 seems much sturdier than the P-39 as I took multiple .50 hits from a P-51 and just shrugged it off.

She also seems much less prone to overheating compared to the P-39. You can run 108% water injection for quite a bit longer than the P-39. This really can make the difference in a long chase against a 109, 190 or P-51.

The '63 is less prone to spinning and stalling than the '39 but when it does stall or spin it there is virtually no warning. Once you are in a spin it is VERY hard to get out of it. I put myself in one flat spin and didn't get out of it until about 200m before the ground....which I hit.. ;) I suspect this is from the laminar flow wing.

Landing the P-63 is very difficult, much more so than the P-39. Ground-effects just before touchdown are very strong. If you don't land nose pitch high and hit even a *little* hard, you will bounce severely.

Overall, the P-63 KingCobra is a hotrod. It still has some of its quirks of its older brother but more manageable. It is not uber. It has weaknesses and is not superior in any one area but it is a generally very good in most every one.

The Swiss army knife of fighters.

http://www.redspar.com/sigs/FBsig.gif

RedSpar
03-03-2004, 11:11 PM
I flew the P-63 online tonight for a few hours against some crack pilots flying the P-51D20.

P-51 is slightly faster compared to the 63, this becomes more pronounced at higher altitudes. However the P-63 was superior in sustained climb. I had no problem catching the P-51 when I chased him all the way up to 6000m. He tried to spiral climb on me but I continued to close on him.

Once at high altitude I could outturn him but he could outrun me and zoom climb away and turn back and attack. Realizing that I was at a disadvantage up this high I dived down at high speed to bring him down to a lower altitude where I would say the P63 is superior performer.

The P-63 has poor elevator authority in a high speed dive so watch out! A P51 or FW190 will pull out sooner than you so watch your speed and angle of dive.

Having 60rnds of 37mm makes a big difference on how you use the cannon. Don't be afraid to take higher risk shots more often than you did with the P-39. You may get a hit. Not sure of this, but the firing rate seems slightly faster than the P-39s, 37mm. Don't take the .50 gunpods for dogfighting, as they slow the plane down too much and you will lose the advantages that the P-63 gives you.

P-63 seems much sturdier than the P-39 as I took multiple .50 hits from a P-51 and just shrugged it off.

She also seems much less prone to overheating compared to the P-39. You can run 108% water injection for quite a bit longer than the P-39. This really can make the difference in a long chase against a 109, 190 or P-51.

The '63 is less prone to spinning and stalling than the '39 but when it does stall or spin it there is virtually no warning. Once you are in a spin it is VERY hard to get out of it. I put myself in one flat spin and didn't get out of it until about 200m before the ground....which I hit.. ;) I suspect this is from the laminar flow wing.

Landing the P-63 is very difficult, much more so than the P-39. Ground-effects just before touchdown are very strong. If you don't land nose pitch high and hit even a *little* hard, you will bounce severely.

Overall, the P-63 KingCobra is a hotrod. It still has some of its quirks of its older brother but more manageable. It is not uber. It has weaknesses and is not superior in any one area but it is a generally very good in most every one.

The Swiss army knife of fighters.

WUAF_Badsight
03-04-2004, 12:39 AM
well id like to say that sounds Awesome !

but its like TWO weeks B4 i get to try it

IM WIGGING OUT DOWN HERE !!!!!!!!!!!

RedSpar
03-04-2004, 12:21 PM
*bump*
Anyone else flown it much? Comments?

SE_Aetos
03-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Well, it is the only plane I have flown... Probably will be the only plane I fly... I got FB when 1.2.2 patch came out. Picked a plane to call my own (P39) and had not looked back. Now I am flying the P63. I can't really compare with other planes because I don't fly them. (I just don't have time to be a jack at all planes and that is why I just pick one and go with it)

Lot of repeat feedback, but here is my take...

Anyway... Speed incress over the P39 is great!

The plane seems more sluggish when I have the combat flaps open (vs the P39), but maybe that that is because I am going faster now...

Extra 37mm ammo is great!

The loadouts are good too! Gun pods are good if ya want to b&z. Good bomb load and after ya drop them ya got the speed to get out of dodge.

Stalls are still a killer, and was my leading cause of death last night.

The views are give and take vs the P39. I have not passed judgement on those yet but I feel in general the forward view is more restricted by the side views are better.

You can overrun the engine all day and it does not seem to overhead. (well not all day, but ya get the point)

I did not get my wings blown off like I always do in the P39, but I have not been shot up enough times to see if this is because of stronger wings or not...

Looking forward to flying it some more tonight!

SE_Aetos

[This message was edited by SE_Aetos on Thu March 04 2004 at 12:51 PM.]

Zen--
03-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Very nice assessment, thank you :)

-Zen-

BuzzU
03-04-2004, 01:48 PM
I agree with all you said. I really like the P63, and i'm torn between it and the P-51. I took a short detour to the Ki-84, but that's out of my system now. The red ball will never replace the white star for this old fart.

Buzz
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v76/Jamnut/clark19.jpg

Maple_Tiger
03-04-2004, 01:57 PM
I think most of us are very very happy that you saw light. I though the P-47 was your favorit bird BuzzU?

Anyway i cant wate till i get the Gold pack. I checked the status and it was shipped on March 03/2004. Mayby ill get it tomorow. ohh i hope so.

So many planes to fly.

BuzzU, i havent actualy seen you on line.

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/pd6c878f0006c224805da6c9645408b41/fb291d3e.jpg

Proud member of the FBAA and Nutty Philosohpy Club.

BuzzU
03-04-2004, 02:05 PM
That's because I haven't been on in a long time. My online simming is all race sims. (GPL). I don't want one to take from the other. I enjoy doing all the campaigns in FB at my own pace, and setting up impossible QMB dogfights. If i ever decide to give up race sims, i'll find a squad in FB, and get serious about online again.

btw..The P-47 was my favorite, but that was because we didn't have the P-51 at the time. I still like the P-47 for ground attacks, but for DF the roll rate drives me nuts. That's why i'm thinking of switching to the P-63, because it rolls nice.

Buzz
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v76/Jamnut/clark19.jpg