PDA

View Full Version : Dive and Zoom challenge (Math)

JG14_Josf
08-19-2004, 09:37 PM
Object number one:

DR1 flown by Manfred Von Richtoffen (http://pierphoto.free.fr/francais/ferteAlais/p_baronRouge.htm)

Object number two:

General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon (http://www.voodoo.cz/falcon/)

Question A:

Both objects appear in a vacuum traveling at 500kph.
Both objects are going side by side in the same direction.
Both objects pass point A (a starting line perpendicular to the direction of travel)

Which object reaches point B first?

Point B is a finish line some unimportant distance further down the track.

Question B:

At the moment both planes appear in the vacuum there is a force of gravity placed on the 6 of both fighters that equals the force of gravity.

QB: Which plane finishes first with the introduction of gravity?

Note: Now it is important to identify a race distance and the race distance is equal to the Es or specific energy quantity of each plane i.e. Es (ft) = H + Vsquared/2g

In other words the race distance is equal to the true energy height of those planes zooming straight up against the earths gravity in a vacuum.

My answers:

Question A

Which object reaches the finish line first:
Both objects reach the finish line first. Nothing slows them down.

QB:

Which plane reaches the finish line first with the introduction of the force of gravity?

Both planes zoom to the same altitude. Only gravity slows them down and for all practical purposes; gravity acts on both objects equally.

Please consider the need to police this topic by being consderate, by using self restraint, by offerning either "on-topic" responsed as the most valuable contribution, by offering humorous responses as a very close second best contribution if not the most valuable contribution, and restraining yourselves to leave out any offensive replies as the bottom of the heap unproductive responses.

To Hop:
Please add to this topic and consider my resent attack as an admitted error on my part.
I really was trying to get to a specific point, honestly and with candor. I admit to stuping to a very low, base, and destructive (self-destructive) means to a percieved end.

I am very interested in nailing down the momentum vs Ps equation question and this post is a start.

Thanks for anyones consideration concerning the development of this line of thinking, this discussion.

JG14_Josf
08-19-2004, 09:37 PM
Object number one:

DR1 flown by Manfred Von Richtoffen (http://pierphoto.free.fr/francais/ferteAlais/p_baronRouge.htm)

Object number two:

General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon (http://www.voodoo.cz/falcon/)

Question A:

Both objects appear in a vacuum traveling at 500kph.
Both objects are going side by side in the same direction.
Both objects pass point A (a starting line perpendicular to the direction of travel)

Which object reaches point B first?

Point B is a finish line some unimportant distance further down the track.

Question B:

At the moment both planes appear in the vacuum there is a force of gravity placed on the 6 of both fighters that equals the force of gravity.

QB: Which plane finishes first with the introduction of gravity?

Note: Now it is important to identify a race distance and the race distance is equal to the Es or specific energy quantity of each plane i.e. Es (ft) = H + Vsquared/2g

In other words the race distance is equal to the true energy height of those planes zooming straight up against the earths gravity in a vacuum.

My answers:

Question A

Which object reaches the finish line first:
Both objects reach the finish line first. Nothing slows them down.

QB:

Which plane reaches the finish line first with the introduction of the force of gravity?

Both planes zoom to the same altitude. Only gravity slows them down and for all practical purposes; gravity acts on both objects equally.

Please consider the need to police this topic by being consderate, by using self restraint, by offerning either "on-topic" responsed as the most valuable contribution, by offering humorous responses as a very close second best contribution if not the most valuable contribution, and restraining yourselves to leave out any offensive replies as the bottom of the heap unproductive responses.

To Hop:
Please add to this topic and consider my resent attack as an admitted error on my part.
I really was trying to get to a specific point, honestly and with candor. I admit to stuping to a very low, base, and destructive (self-destructive) means to a percieved end.

I am very interested in nailing down the momentum vs Ps equation question and this post is a start.

Thanks for anyones consideration concerning the development of this line of thinking, this discussion.