PDA

View Full Version : AB bombs bugged/not working in 1.22

Fillmore
01-23-2004, 06:18 AM
Just got through testing a bunch of bombs on IS2s, M4s, T60s, and Traincars. AB500 and AB250 bombs are bugged and not working (it may actually be a global problem with objects, i'm not sure how it is coded).

-Bombs were set with 3 second delay and deployed in the air.

-Bomblets (submunitions) scored direct hits on some of the various vehicles/objects.

-When a hit was scored there was a big yellow ball/explosion in the location of the vehicle (which is why I thought maybe the bug was with the objects rather than the bomb, because it was clear that some part of the code knew that the targets had been hit, thus making the fireballs).

-When the fireballs subsided the targets remained intact, undestroyed, with impact/crater marks on the concrete underneath them.

I have a few short .ntrk showing all this with IS2s, M4s, and traincars but cannot host them and don't remember address where to send bug reports.

Fillmore
01-23-2004, 06:18 AM
Just got through testing a bunch of bombs on IS2s, M4s, T60s, and Traincars. AB500 and AB250 bombs are bugged and not working (it may actually be a global problem with objects, i'm not sure how it is coded).

-Bombs were set with 3 second delay and deployed in the air.

-Bomblets (submunitions) scored direct hits on some of the various vehicles/objects.

-When a hit was scored there was a big yellow ball/explosion in the location of the vehicle (which is why I thought maybe the bug was with the objects rather than the bomb, because it was clear that some part of the code knew that the targets had been hit, thus making the fireballs).

-When the fireballs subsided the targets remained intact, undestroyed, with impact/crater marks on the concrete underneath them.

I have a few short .ntrk showing all this with IS2s, M4s, and traincars but cannot host them and don't remember address where to send bug reports.

DangerForward
01-23-2004, 07:34 AM
I think for the tougher targets more than one bomblet has to hit, or hit a weak spot. I've noticed the same thing you did. Bomblet hits a tank, you see an explosion, but the tank isn't destroyed.

A while back I made a bomb testing map with various heavy tanks/vehicles around it. I've never had the AB bombs destroy the heavy tanks, but it works well on trucks and light tanks. I just destroyed some trucks with an AB500 in 1.22.

DangerForward

Willey
01-23-2004, 01:51 PM
The SD4HL submunitions we have in our AB-500 could kill T-34s IRL. Try the PTAB-2,5 bomblets. They can kill everything...

Fillmore
01-23-2004, 03:11 PM
"I just destroyed some trucks with an AB500 in 1.22."

Hmm, maybe it is a bug wrt some objects? I would expect traincars to be fairly soft. I'll try some more tests later.

A.K.Davis
01-23-2004, 04:20 PM
I believe the AB containers could be loaded with either frag submunitions or anti-armor submunitions. Not sure which we have in the game.

--AKD

http://www.flyingpug.com/pugline2.jpg

blabla0001
01-23-2004, 04:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fillmore:
"I just destroyed some trucks with an AB500 in 1.22."

Hmm, maybe it is a bug wrt some objects? I would expect traincars to be fairly soft. I'll try some more tests later.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your "bug" is with the 3 second delay fuse you set.

This weapon doesn't need a delay time set, you deploy the weapon, it detonates in the air and the little bombs are released and it killed everything it hit in my test.

A.K.Davis
01-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Looked it up: SD-2 are fragmentation sub-munitions, while SD-4 are hollow charge. Still don't know what we have in game.

--AKD

http://www.flyingpug.com/pugline2.jpg

Fillmore
01-23-2004, 05:18 PM
"I think your "bug" is with the 3 second delay fuse you set.

This weapon doesn't need a delay time set, you deploy the weapon, it detonates in the air and the little bombs are released and it killed everything it hit in my test."

The ReadMe file that came with the patch that first introduced AB bombs said to set bomb delay to at least 3 seconds. With AB bombs the bomb delay set how long after release before the bomb deploys its submunitions (though there is a minimum so that setting to 0 still has a delay).

Further tests indicate it is a problem with certain objects. AAA will be destroyed, but Train Stock Car 1 will not be destroyed (though there will be a large fireball when one is hit). T60s will not be destroyed either (these are light tanks which can be destroyed with MG151/20 and the blast from SC500 will destroy huge numbers of them from a large radius).

There are near misses that do not make the fireball explosions, only the hits make the fireball, but even with the hit/fireball these objects are not being destroyed.

I am sure I remember destroying traincars with AB bombs in an earlier version, but maybe the mapmaker was using a car different than Train Stock Car 1 ?

As I remember the AB500 is supposed to have the larger submunitions, but my tests do not show any difference, neither AB500 nor AB250 submunitions destroy the targets (remember I am talking about targets that can be destroyed with 20mm cannon, not just the heavy tanks).

blabla0001
01-23-2004, 05:31 PM
The munition train cars are destroyed, soft vehicles too, tanks are not killed with the AB bombs.

Looks like we have the HE version and not the hollow charge AT version in the game.

JG53Frankyboy
01-23-2004, 05:35 PM
yes, there are not realy lethal http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

i only attack Trucks with it !
AND every bomblet needs a direct hit ! so , you need not only skill, you need a lot of luck!

btw, long time ago, the IL2 readme said that the AB250 is loaded with SD2 (agaisnt "soft" targets).
the AB500 with SD4HL (against Tanks)
well, even with a direkt hit, a T34 ist laughing http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
i gave up to use them - i only use SC bombs

willfreund1
01-23-2004, 07:42 PM
if you freeze the game they look like SD2 SD4hl, are rocket aided , there like a rpg, SD4s are about 4.4lbs propbly bigger
theres sd2,s since its smalled

info from http://world.std.com/~Ted7/minoraf.htm and histroychannel

DangerForward
01-23-2004, 08:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fillmore:
Hmm, maybe it is a bug wrt some objects? I would expect traincars to be fairly soft. I'll try some more tests later.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did some more tests on my bombing map. I packed a bunch of T34-85s together. Dropped a AB-250 and 4 SC50s on them(The SC50s were to test something in an earlier post). The SC50s were short, but the AB-250 was on target. The shower of submunitions wreathed the tanks with fire, but none were destroyed. I guess we have the frag version of this bomb. I'll have to see if the open top tank destroyers are vulnerable, maybe killing the crew counts as destroying the tank.

DangerForward