PDA

View Full Version : WTB PvE DLC

Honorhound01
10-29-2016, 08:14 AM
I know the game has a fairly heavy focus on PvP but I'd like for there to be at least one or two story based DLCs or just some PvE DLC in general. The base story looks like there is quite a bit of potential for storytelling.

Take some tips from Bioware, Bethesda or even Capcom (Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen was quite good)

Expanded storylines, completely new story, etc.

Dez_troi_aR
11-01-2016, 02:48 PM
Depends. I think the story looks cool, too, but once you've dived into multiplayer, duelling bots will feel like wasting time. At least thats what i experienced in the past.

What i am trying to say is, lets wait if we even want more singleiplayer once we are done with the campaign or if we'd rather let them invest their time into multiplayer experience, adding events, whatever.

But who knows, maybe the Singleplayer will be awsome. It is too early to demand dlcs in my opinion.

Honorhound01
11-03-2016, 04:19 AM
Depends. I think the story looks cool, too, but once you've dived into multiplayer, duelling bots will feel like wasting time. At least thats what i experienced in the past.

What i am trying to say is, lets wait if we even want more singleiplayer once we are done with the campaign or if we'd rather let them invest their time into multiplayer experience, adding events, whatever.

But who knows, maybe the Singleplayer will be awsome. It is too early to demand dlcs in my opinion.

Well this isn't a demand, just a petition.

The way the story is presented really seems like theres great potential to add to it and make it bigger. Ubisoft has proven they can make epic stories and I'm just hoping there will be more to this than just 10 hrs.

I'm not talking about a desire to fight A.I. or bots but rather to get more story. Video games are fantastic for storytelling and this seems like an interesting world that has many stories to tell.

Dez_troi_aR
11-03-2016, 12:07 PM
It is right, living through a videogame adventure is something that we all love.
I imagine for honours campaign more like a 300 movie, though. The presentation/style looks very cool but we already know that the characters will most likely be very flat (playing "the Warden"). The Story seem to be obvious without them even saying anything about it just considering the tiny bits of gameplay we've seen.

Warden : Holden cross says "And that is how i met the warden who would set me against all that i held dear" --> all right, the warden and holden cross will rebel against Apollyons blackstone legion because her motives of having endless war become revealed.

Viking: Vikings are quarelling so the raider unites them (we have seen an unrendered scene where he/she beats up a viking jarl who treats his ppl badly). Then plunder the chosen lands to gains strength.

Samurai: Partly rendered scene. There is a war between saumrai factions, samurai must be united. The Orochi (wasnt it a kensai at some point?) offers to commit seppuku, so his defeated rival is free to join their ranks as a commander without shame, who refuses to slay the orochi but joins him.

To me that all sounds very cool but i wouldnt expect it to become much deeper.
I could be totally wrong and these are only fragments of a fantastic storyline but i can already kind of see this work. The only thing unrevealed is the event that unites the three factions in their, maybe temporary, allegiance against Apollyon

Apollyon and holden cross seem to be important characters but can basically described with just two sentences.
-Appolyon is a hobbesian mind that thinks that there are wolf and sheep and that war is the natural order of things. Period. This is about the most uninteresting villain i have ever heard of :D . There seems to be some sort of a background story to her... A developer mentioned that she is that way because her village was destroyed when she was a child which made her bitter. Period. That, again, is the most generic "why i am evil" story i have ever heard of :D .
-Holden Cross is a honorable warrior and a reasonable mind, meaning he doesn't want bloodshed sfor bloodshed sakes but does what needs to be done. This becomes obvious from the view sentences he speaks in the knight mission. This is, of course, in total discord with Apollyons philosophy of war and it is a little unlikely that someone like Holden Cross, who most likely fights to defend his people or something, could rise so high in Apollyons army, who wants war just for wars sake. Maybe there is a faction in the blackstone legion which secretly operates to ensure war goes on, but in any case we can expect a pretty constructed event were Holden cross eyes are "surprisingly" opened. ;)

Now, dont get me wrong. I dont want to ***** about the story, here. I remember when they announced For Honor in 2015, many gaming magazines made fun about them wanting to include a campaign and basically said "why even bother? Just make the viking samurai knight thing happen, you dont need to give us a shallow and poor excuse for why they fight ;) ) . Now, we dont only get a campaign, but also one that looks really cool ! But from what we have already seen, we can be quite sure that we wont shed tears while playing through a dramatic and well written storyline with surprising turns and developing characters.
It looks like it might more be about glorious moments:
-Charging towards a samurai fortress after your longships have reached the beach under heavy catapult fire !!
-Duelling the attacking army's champion to defend your liegelord's honor and earning knighthood afterwards !!
-Slaying the enemy commander after scaling the walls of his castle !!

And this are only some of the epic things that happen in two (!) missions. So yes, i am looking forward to the campaign and i think it will be awsome. But i personally dont expect too much of the story aspect.

Dez_troi_aR
11-03-2016, 12:38 PM
I might post that in a seperatedd threat, i think its interesting ;)

Honorhound01
11-05-2016, 01:38 AM
It is right, living through a videogame adventure is something that we all love.
I imagine for honours campaign more like a 300 movie, though. The presentation/style looks very cool but we already know that the characters will most likely be very flat (playing "the Warden"). The Story seem to be obvious without them even saying anything about it just considering the tiny bits of gameplay we've seen.

Warden : Holden cross says "And that is how i met the warden who would set me against all that i held dear" --> all right, the warden and holden cross will rebel against Apollyons blackstone legion because her motives of having endless war become revealed.

Viking: Vikings are quarelling so the raider unites them (we have seen an unrendered scene where he/she beats up a viking jarl who treats his ppl badly). Then plunder the chosen lands to gains strength.

Samurai: Partly rendered scene. There is a war between saumrai factions, samurai must be united. The Orochi (wasnt it a kensai at some point?) offers to commit seppuku, so his defeated rival is free to join their ranks as a commander without shame, who refuses to slay the orochi but joins him.

To me that all sounds very cool but i wouldnt expect it to become much deeper.
I could be totally wrong and these are only fragments of a fantastic storyline but i can already kind of see this work. The only thing unrevealed is the event that unites the three factions in their, maybe temporary, allegiance against Apollyon

Apollyon and holden cross seem to be important characters but can basically described with just two sentences.
-Appolyon is a hobbesian mind that thinks that there are wolf and sheep and that war is the natural order of things. Period. This is about the most uninteresting villain i have ever heard of :D . There seems to be some sort of a background story to her... A developer mentioned that she is that way because her village was destroyed when she was a child which made her bitter. Period. That, again, is the most generic "why i am evil" story i have ever heard of :D .
-Holden Cross is a honorable warrior and a reasonable mind, meaning he doesn't want bloodshed sfor bloodshed sakes but does what needs to be done. This becomes obvious from the view sentences he speaks in the knight mission. This is, of course, in total discord with Apollyons philosophy of war and it is a little unlikely that someone like Holden Cross, who most likely fights to defend his people or something, could rise so high in Apollyons army, who wants war just for wars sake. Maybe there is a faction in the blackstone legion which secretly operates to ensure war goes on, but in any case we can expect a pretty constructed event were Holden cross eyes are "surprisingly" opened. ;)

Now, dont get me wrong. I dont want to ***** about the story, here. I remember when they announced For Honor in 2015, many gaming magazines made fun about them wanting to include a campaign and basically said "why even bother? Just make the viking samurai knight thing happen, you dont need to give us a shallow and poor excuse for why they fight ;) ) . Now, we dont only get a campaign, but also one that looks really cool ! But from what we have already seen, we can be quite sure that we wont shed tears while playing through a dramatic and well written storyline with surprising turns and developing characters.
It looks like it might more be about glorious moments:
-Charging towards a samurai fortress after your longships have reached the beach under heavy catapult fire !!
-Duelling the attacking army's champion to defend your liegelord's honor and earning knighthood afterwards !!
-Slaying the enemy commander after scaling the walls of his castle !!

And this are only some of the epic things that happen in two (!) missions. So yes, i am looking forward to the campaign and i think it will be awsome. But i personally dont expect too much of the story aspect.

From what I've seen I'm not expecting something deep like an RPG or something but the setting ignites my imagination, thinking about how these three factions would interact and so on. I'm hopeful that maybe we can get a story of comparable quality to Assassin's creed or something. Maybe Ubisoft might consider the possibilities with the setting here and if the initial story isn't deep I'd still really like for them to expand on the idea with a DLC or just add more to the base game.

Honorhound01
11-07-2016, 08:53 AM
Here's a question for everyone. What kind of story elements would you like to see in a story based DLC?

Some of my ideas;
- If a new character is to be introduced, give them a story along with adding him/her to the game. Don't just add them to PvP without a story.
- Prequel, allow us to play through the story before the main story takes place. 1000 years of war should have a story or two to tell.
- Villain's story, allow us to play as Apollyon before & during the main campaign's story.

Feel free to share any ideas.

MisterWillow
11-08-2016, 02:56 AM
Story DLC would depend on how the campaign is actually resolved. In the E3 masterclass this year, they said the multiplayer is a continuation of the story---like, the battle is still raging, no matter if Apollyon is defeated or not, and you're participating in an endless struggle (not a bad direction to go, in my opinion).

- If a new character is to be introduced, give them a story along with adding him/her to the game. Don't just add them to PvP without a story.
- Prequel, allow us to play through the story before the main story takes place. 1000 years of war should have a story or two to tell.
- Villain's story, allow us to play as Apollyon before & during the main campaign's story.

Having said that, these are pretty good suggestions. I'd prefer any possible DLC characters to actually have context in the world. Even if it's just a mission or two for introduction and exposition.

Prequel would only work, in my opinion anyway, if there were references to past events in the main campaign---like a character says 'remember when *this* happened' sort of thing---because then you could play through those events and have all, or at least most, of the context.

Playing as Apollyon strikes me as a novelty, but that's probably because we know almost nothing about the story. If she's compelling enough, that could offer an alternate perspective on all the events you experience in the main campaign.

Good stuff.

Honorhound01
11-09-2016, 04:21 AM
Story DLC would depend on how the campaign is actually resolved. In the E3 masterclass this year, they said the multiplayer is a continuation of the story---like, the battle is still raging, no matter if Apollyon is defeated or not, and you're participating in an endless struggle (not a bad direction to go, in my opinion).

Having said that, these are pretty good suggestions. I'd prefer any possible DLC characters to actually have context in the world. Even if it's just a mission or two for introduction and exposition.

Prequel would only work, in my opinion anyway, if there were references to past events in the main campaign---like a character says 'remember when *this* happened' sort of thing---because then you could play through those events and have all, or at least most, of the context.

Playing as Apollyon strikes me as a novelty, but that's probably because we know almost nothing about the story. If she's compelling enough, that could offer an alternate perspective on all the events you experience in the main campaign.

Good stuff.

Thanks, I hope this thread gets noticed by the Devs. Even just a "We'll think about it" would be cool.

Honorhound01
11-17-2016, 08:29 AM
Here's an idea for a prequel dlc.

Allow us to play the first days of the 1000 year war, a sort of how it all started story. This could introduce the Wardens that the current Warden came from or the first Kensai, etc.

Dez_troi_aR
11-17-2016, 03:30 PM
Background missions for the hero classes would be fun and interesting, indeed!

Honorhound01
12-03-2016, 10:06 AM
An obvious idea that hasn't been mentioned yet. Added missions in the campaign, side stories, something to set the stage for a new game.

A random idea I just had was if there is a sequel, don't just call it "For Honor 2". It could be something similar but still different. Maybe "For Vengeance", For Peace/War, For Truth, For Unity, etc.

MisterWillow
12-03-2016, 11:26 PM
An obvious idea that hasn't been mentioned yet. Added missions in the campaign, side stories, something to set the stage for a new game.

That depends on how exactly the story ends. At the E3 masterclass this year, they said the multiplayer is actually the never-ending continuation of the campaign (or more precisely (https://youtu.be/FZO4iyF51f0?t=32m25s) "It's going to set up the world you experience when we play multiplayer"). Depending on story beats, or allusions made to earlier events preceding the campaign, they could pull DLC from that as well.

A random idea I just had was if there is a sequel, don't just call it "For Honor 2". It could be something similar but still different. Maybe "For Vengeance", For Peace/War, For Truth, For Unity, etc.

For Glory would be an alright title I think. Nice idea overall.

Honorhound01
12-05-2016, 07:25 PM
That depends on how exactly the story ends. At the E3 masterclass this year, they said the multiplayer is actually the never-ending continuation of the campaign (or more precisely (https://youtu.be/FZO4iyF51f0?t=32m25s) "It's going to set up the world you experience when we play multiplayer"). Depending on story beats, or allusions made to earlier events preceding the campaign, they could pull DLC from that as well.

For Glory would be an alright title I think. Nice idea overall.

Yeah, I was thinking more about side missions. Events that occur during the campaign that may not be overly important. A meaningless battle or some such.

For Glory is a great name imo. It fits the mold that For Honor makes.

MisterWillow
12-06-2016, 04:28 AM
Yeah, I was thinking more about side missions. Events that occur during the campaign that may not be overly important. A meaningless battle or some such.

Oops.

Reading your previous comment again, I see what you meant. Apologies. :p

Honorhound01
12-06-2016, 07:55 AM
Oops.

Reading your previous comment again, I see what you meant. Apologies. :p

I's cool. TBH I think the most likely addition would be campaign missions for a new hero. In any case I hope this thread has given Ubi some ideas.