PDA

View Full Version : Yak/Bogey on six

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 03:45 AM
OK, after flying the I-16 in FB I've decided to run through the old IL-2 fighter campaign. So I start out in a Yak.

Now, I don't know what it is about my flying skills (or lack thereof) but I can't seem to shake a bogey off my tail in that yak! What is up? Should I always be using the flaps in the combat position while DF in the Yak? Is the Yak a B & Z plane and because I like to try and turn against a 109 I am losing the turning battle?

W T H man - I thought the battles were supposed to be easier with better planes!! haha Help!!

Message Edited on 08/08/0310:46PM by progrmr

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 03:45 AM
OK, after flying the I-16 in FB I've decided to run through the old IL-2 fighter campaign. So I start out in a Yak.

Now, I don't know what it is about my flying skills (or lack thereof) but I can't seem to shake a bogey off my tail in that yak! What is up? Should I always be using the flaps in the combat position while DF in the Yak? Is the Yak a B & Z plane and because I like to try and turn against a 109 I am losing the turning battle?

W T H man - I thought the battles were supposed to be easier with better planes!! haha Help!!

Message Edited on 08/08/0310:46PM by progrmr

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 05:11 AM
if you cant shake it, there alway ctrl+E

The Sun is Gone
But I Have a Light
<CENTER>http://images.flagspot.net/i/id%5eaforo.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 05:43 AM
Well...
first it sounds like you made a mistake somewhere to get into that place in the first place, so you got to get to where they are the targets and not you, but... easyer said then done

2nd, call for help, if he is on your six, the main goal is to make him miss, not to get away from him, watch for help to arive and then make your break, of course, when you can, break up and over

over all though, don't seem to have to much to worry about from the AI while flying a Yak or Lagg (outside of AI gunners or getting force to take a H2H pass)

HARD_Sarge

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 05:48 AM
The AI won't do violent moves. Learn some to evade them, and they won't follow you. Put your plane into a spin if you have too. I use it all the time. your best bet is to keep your eyes open, and don't get into position. It's much easier to get away from him if you don't wait until he right on you. Look to see it coming, and move fast to turn it around on him.

Da Buzz
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------47|FC=-
<center>
"No Guts No Glory"
<center>
http://www.fighter-collection.com/p-47d/img/jug.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 06:06 AM
progrmr,

You mentioned that you decided to "run through the old IL-2 campaign" and that you started out in a Yak? I was just wondering, did you edit the campaign missions in the Full Mission Builder? The reason I ask is because in my copy of the original IL-2 Sturmovik you start out flying the LaGG-3 in the Soviet fighter campaign, not the Yak. Also, have you upgraded your copy of the original IL-2 to, at least, v1.1? If so, which variant of the Yak were you flying, Yak-1 or Yak-7B? Lastly, which variant of the Bf-109 were you fighting against, E or F? Knowing your answers to these questions would help me to better answer your questions, but I'll give it a shot anyway. First, I would recommend that you not use combat flaps during the entire dogfight because it will cause a significant decrease in your speed, and because the early Yak fighters did not have leading edge wing slats, low speed maneuvers can be very dangerous. The Bf-109, on the other hand, does have leading edge wing slats and has very good low speed handling characteristics. Only use combat flaps briefly when turning (you'll get a slightly tighter turn). Second, The Yak is definitely not a boom & zoom fighter. Your best tactic is to slow down (but not too much) and try to get the German plane to commit to a turning fight, just as you have been doing. Rolling scissors, for example, is a Yak specialty. If you still can't shake the enemy plane, try calling your wingmen for help. The enemy AI in the original IL-2 doesn't seem to be as aggressive or as eager (or as good of a shot) as they are in Forgotten Battles, so drag & bag tactics work fairly well against them.

Hope that helps. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Best regards,
Tattered Boots.

Message Edited on 08/09/0301:12AM by Tattered_Boots

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the helpful hints.

I think I am in the LaGG (3 believe, not the Yak) - and for some reason I can't seem to ask for help when I get one on me. I can remember if my partner got shot down, but I think he was the flight leader - of course perhaps I'm just mistaken.

I have used the 'let them get close, then spin the plane' technique. In fact I used this online the other night and got the guy. He was obviously trying to get me with a single burst because he was like .18 behind me most of the time. I think he got so close that when I went into the spin he was about to crash into me - tried to avoid and crashed...haha - the game said I killed him though! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Thanks again, I think it just boils down to practice, practice, practice!

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 04:24 PM
you can always call for help. open the talk window and press 7.

2 things we need in FB:
The 110 and the desert!!!
http://exn.ca/news/images/1999/04/23/19990423-Me110coloursideMAIN.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-10-2003, 11:08 PM
progrmr wrote:
- Thanks for the helpful hints.
-
- I think I am in the LaGG (3 believe, not the Yak) -
- and for some reason I can't seem to ask for help
- when I get one on me.

progrmr,

If, in fact, you are flying the LaGG-3 and not the Yak, that changes things somewhat. Although they look similar in some ways, the two aircraft are different in performance and handling. The Yak seems to be more nimble, whereas the LaGG-3 is more sluggish. The Yak also has better vertical capability and, while not equal to a Bf-109, it does stand a chance, whereas the LaGG-3 is clearly inferior to the Bf-109 (particularly the Bf-109F) in a vertical dogfight. The biggest difference between the Yak and the LaGG-3, however, is the fact that the LaGG-3 bleeds off excessive speed and energy in a sustained turn. I think that is why you can't seem to shake a Bf-109 in a turning fight. While the LaGG-3 has the advantage in the initial turn, in a sustained turn the Bf-109 will gain the advantage and will get you eventually. After all, that's why the Soviet pilots who were selected to fly the LaGG-3 joked grimly (but only amongst themselves) that the aircraft's initials stood for "Lakirovanny Garantirovanny Grob" or "Lacquered Coffin Guaranteed"! Your best tactic with the LaGG-3 is still to try to get the German plane to commit to a turning fight or rolling scissors but keep a close eye on your airspeed and altitude. Try to keep your altitude between 1,000 and 2,500 meters, don't allow yourself to get any lower than 500 meters. You'll want enough altitude between you and the ground so you can point your nose down to pick up speed and gather energy after a sustained turn. Also, if the Bf-109 is on your tail (and you have the speed for it) try executing a barrel roll and force the Bf-109 to overtake you. And, as the person above said, you can ALWAYS call for help. Press the tab key to open the communications interface and press the 7 key which is "Anyone, help me!" If there are any friendly fighters left in the area, they will come to your aid. One last thing, if you can't get the Bf-109 to commit to a turning fight, don't allow the Bf-109 to drag you up to high altitude. The LaGG-3's performance begins to degrade above 4,000 meters. If you notice that the Bf-109 is climbing away from you, I highly recommend that you disengage and return to base. Save your life and save your aircraft, and maybe you'll have better luck the next time.

Best regards,
Tattered Boots.

XyZspineZyX
08-10-2003, 11:13 PM
In IL2 early Yaks overheat horribly fast and it takes long to cool`em doen.Enough trouble when fighting with AI ME109.

"degustibus non disputandum"

<center>http://carguy.w.interia.pl/tracki/sig23d.jpg

<center>"Weder Tod noch Teufel!"</font>[/B]</center> (http://www.jzg23.de>[B]<font)