PDA

View Full Version : So if the Isu could make literally shields or watch possible outcomes in the future

joshoolhorst
10-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Why couldn't they make a space ship and survive in space for a short period of time... Or is this just a dumb question and I'm not paying enough attention to the games and would the sun destroy them even though it only hit the earth in the videos. Was it because of the war between the Isu and the humans?

Elder-Kalakta
10-06-2016, 09:19 PM
The Isu may have found this task to be too risky and too resource taxing. It takes a lot of energy to get something into space, so if they were to go out there, they'd be at risk of having their ships short circuited by the Solar Flare, and then be stuck in orbit and utterly helpless as some of them crash back into orbit or others stay trapped and starve in space.

Plus, Isu space tech was at best, comparable to ours. An Apple of Eden shows us an Isu rocket, and it looks very similar to our rockets. Also their planes look very much like ours. As advanced as they were, the First Civilization was by no means an interstellar civilization, but a planetary one. They had no presence even on the moon, we only found an Apple there because it crashed on the moon.

The Isu aren't too experienced with space either, as they did not foresee that their Apples signal would be too weak from space to interfere with all human minds (during one of their solutions to force us to "will" the threat away with a psychic field generated by our reality warping minds once we all sat to think as one.)

Also, predicting the future is no easy task, Master Yoda could predict the future just as the Isu, but in one Star Wars episode, someone asked him why can't he just "predict" what will happen during the episode, to which he responds with "always in motion the future is."

Remember, they had many "Calculations" (such as the Tyranny of King Washington), they didn't just have one probability in mind. While mostly they were right, they could be wrong too.

For instance, why didn't they predict our rebellion?

Because they considered us so simple and lesser, that a human rebellion was very improbable to them.

D.I.D.
10-07-2016, 02:33 AM
Simple: everything about the First Civ is total bobbins.

I feel a bit sorry for the writers because they're saddled with something born in one era of games that's crawled, sickly and bleeding, into this one. You'd never write the First Civ like they are now, but Désilets came up with the concept at a time when game stories were still very crude. The First Civ were a "Big Bad" and that's it.

But they don't make sense. It's ridiculous to imagine a culture entirely ruled by technology to the point that it can devise self-contained weapons the size of a grapefruit which require no external power, or walls of light that can vaporise flesh and metals, or conjure entire species from scratch, or mathematically model the future to the point of being able to record their side of a future conversation, but had no real ambitions in space. The idea of creating us as a slave race is absurd for a whole list of reasons. The demolition of everything we know about geology and evolution was never justified by anything the First Civ story had to offer. Juno's ambitions to take over again make no sense because she has nothing to enjoy about existing. They made the First Civ as a troupe of joyless lampshades, mooning around the place in silly monarch's clothes and talking poetically, and they have absolutely nothing to live for.

It all might have been okay if the games had been a short series, but this weak idea was never going to survive the scrutiny of a decade and more. If it was up to me, I wouldn't have had Juno encode herself perfectly, in a way that she can be reconstituted exactly as she was, with her entire personality intact and as though nothing had happened. She wants the things she wants because she's a bad person. I think it would be better to see her as something between a person and a computer virus. She created this form of herself in a panic, and before she sent it into the temple's circuitry she told it to survive. The villain doesn't have to be Juno herself, but the distillation of that fear.

They've tried quite hard to make us hate Juno by having her murder an important character (two, if you count the railroading of Desmond), and we still don't. They've had her threaten our entire species, and it still hasn't made her work as a traditional villain. The solution is to stop trying to make it personal. We can fight her and still see her an nothing, a ghost of a tragic figure who died thousands of years ago.

But really, the whole First Civ should have been kept at much more of a distance. Their best moments were when the games said that our cultures' gods were really legends from moments when humanity had seen their messages in temple sites, and when the Project Legacy files tied them to the Secret Chiefs. The latter situation added a new layer whereby some humans had managed to achieve a technology-free psychic connection with them via ritual, and even succeeded in doing the work that the Animus does. That's never been followed up, and everything became too literal. I would love to see a game that showed us one of these moments. Pick a god nobody worships anymore, such as Baal, and show us a period in history when ordinary people broke into a First Civ temple, spoke with a "god" and came out to spread his/her word as a religion.