PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft's Closed Alpha Recap

Dez_troi_aR
10-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Hello there fellow Warriors !

Ubisoft has given us an impression of their impression of our impression of the closed Alpha! Yay.
Here is the link to the Video, in case you haven't seen it yet :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWvhaHAqu1Q

There are a lot of interesting topics discussed here:

-The learning curve. It apparently seemed like players did not grasp some mechanics like parrying. They think about better ways to expose those mechanics to the gamers.

-Some Menus seem to be designed in a suboptimal way. Players seemed to have trouble to find certain options/informations.

-The increasing number of Orochis after day 1. It is stated that the deflect mechanic was OP. (If that puts an end to the heated discussion about that on the forums is yet to be seen ;) )

- Customization was enjoyed by players but there were definitly issues with the stats on the gear. I guess he is talking about balance problems here.

-Steel systems seems to get some redesign.

-Glitches, matchmaking and disconections need some work (well, it's an alpha). There was no talk about replacing the p2p system with dedicated servers.

-Splitscreen is cut. There will still be "online-coop". There has already been a discussion about that on the forum. In my humble opinion it means that cooping the campaign in splitscreen was cut, while it is still possible to coop the campaign online (and splitscreening onlinemultiplayer was never an option). They need to get that out of the way to focus on bringing other things on AAA quality. Specification by devs would be nice

-Incoming Consumer events: The ForHonor World tour (The game exposed at gameshows i guess). Anyone got more info ?

-BETA !! .... sometime in the future. But with an increased number of players :D

I enjoyed finally getting some reaction from the team about the Alpha ! I will post some of my personal impressions later, got to do some work before ;)
How do you feel about these news ?

Greetings

SlayingSouls
10-05-2016, 07:11 PM
i greatly fear this game getting nerfed hard all around.

If they simply add things to the intro that teach mechanics like deflect / block that would be great but it almost sounds like they just want to simply make the game overall easier.
-This is something we have watched countless games be destroyed by. Slowly nerfing the game until the game becomes so easy there is no difference between good and bad players.
-Orochi also sounds like he is getting reworked simply because the base of all players had an easier time playing / understanding that one character.
- If the Orochi was so overpowered why have I only seen video from 1 person with 100% win rate and he surely wasnt playing Orochi he was playing Warden

Menu's need major reworking that I cant disagree with. Simple ability to check Movesets in waiting loby's and what not would be a huge upgrade.

I noticed he had mentioned 99% of players spent less then 20 seconds in a lobby.
- Was this statistic taken game wide or from just one console? Playstation could go anywhere from 20seconds to 2-3min if you would let it

Cutting splitscreen is the biggest crock of **** Ive ever heard but we shouldnt expect anything less from Ubisoft these days should we? Releasing unfinished games or failing to meet deadlines is unfortunately nothing new.

I truly hope they let the beta roll over a much larger period so they can make micro adjustments throughout to dial in all the small little Multiplayer functions / Small game or balance tweaks that are loved by the community and not just the projected consumer.

Lastly, I wonder if there was a note in the contract for Pre Orders that mentioned your pre order money is not exactly going to be put towards the game you had been sold up to this point.
- Example: Marketing HEAVILY towards split screen then suddenly dropping it from the Title all together

Thenec
10-05-2016, 08:15 PM
-This is something we have watched countless games be destroyed by. Slowly nerfing the game until the game becomes so easy there is no difference between good and bad players.

You know, that bad players are also the players, as same as 'good players', right? They pay the game, and play the game for enjoyment, not for a torture because of their poor skill. And, I've also seen a LOTS OF GAME which make it really, really difficult to master that destroying their game itself. If the game cant keep a newb-flow, and playing the game which who have no life but playing the video game, IT FAILED(if you havent, then go google the fighting games, SNK's bankrupted, lots of Street Fighter's DLC and DoA's F2P policy, because of dropping player pool makes revenue as ****. oh, and if you have time, also google the rhythm game which popular in asia. It became more harder and harder which end up lot of Arcade center closed and turn into mobile-Gacha game).

Newb-flow is very important value in multiplayer game and make a game maintain interesting are one of lots way to keep that value. Make newbie frustrated with veteran playing top tier hero which makes years to master, is not a best plan to run a multiplayer game. I know Orochi is hard to master and it make that hero special, but only if you have a mind to think and listen; they are WORKing with Orochi, not REWORKing, this is FREAKING Alpha recap, not a 6.88e patch note, and at last, they have all the ACTUAL DATA, not simple few case that you've seen and heard. So please stfu if you haven't seen a actually Orochi of final game, or current stage.

(This post remind me of Starcraft 2 Mothership's ability, like time bomb and blackhole. It quite OP and cut/changed in final game, but there were people who saying that is quite fair, and can be counter by player skill. The result? No one care. In Alpha and Beta stage, everything are changeable.)

Vordred
10-05-2016, 08:59 PM
You know, that bad players are also the players, as same as 'good players', right? They pay the game, and play the game for enjoyment, not for a torture because of their poor skill. And, I've also seen a LOTS OF GAME which make it really, really difficult to master that destroying their game itself. If the game cant keep a newb-flow, and playing the game which who have no life but playing the video game, IT FAILED(if you havent, then go google the fighting games, SNK's bankrupted, lots of Street Fighter's DLC and DoA's F2P policy, because of dropping player pool makes revenue as ****. oh, and if you have time, also google the rhythm game which popular in asia. It became more harder and harder which end up lot of Arcade center closed and turn into mobile-Gacha game).

yeah this is true, no i like my games complicated, not to hold your hand and difficult. however i know i'm in the minority, and if you put people off with that, the game doesn't sell and or the player base drops very quickly. games are to big budget these days no to try and cater to everyone if they can.

i remember going back some, i used to like mmo's like DAoC because it had no map, told you nothing, you just had to figure it out as you went. then after things like WoW coming along that were more friendly, a company tried to make a MMO of old that was a bit more hardcore, called Vangaurd i believe, and it bombed big time.

thats the thing, most people don't have the time and/or the patience to spend time learning the game, they want to be able to hop on and have fun right away. catering to "hardcore" gamers is not a recipe for good game sales.

take LoL its the easiest to learn of all the major MOBA games, and funny enough it has the largest player base.

DBLxxShotz
10-06-2016, 07:24 AM
yeah this is true, no i like my games complicated, not to hold your hand and difficult. however i know i'm in the minority, and if you put people off with that, the game doesn't sell and or the player base drops very quickly. games are to big budget these days no to try and cater to everyone if they can.

i remember going back some, i used to like mmo's like DAoC because it had no map, told you nothing, you just had to figure it out as you went. then after things like WoW coming along that were more friendly, a company tried to make a MMO of old that was a bit more hardcore, called Vangaurd i believe, and it bombed big time.

thats the thing, most people don't have the time and/or the patience to spend time learning the game, they want to be able to hop on and have fun right away. catering to "hardcore" gamers is not a recipe for good game sales.

take LoL its the easiest to learn of all the major MOBA games, and funny enough it has the largest player base.

Thing is though this game isnt complicated at all. Its very simple to learn but it takes skill to master. How do you get to a high level of skill? Practice!!! People are lazy and just want to be able to pick up a game and mash away and win. Forbid they actually have to put some thinking into the game!

Let me tell you a little about myself as a gamer. I do not play hack and slash games at all! I dont do dark souls or any games like it. I never played elder scrolls or the witcher games. Heck i dont even do fighting games like MK,SF,Injustice etc. Point being im a noob when it comes to these type of games. I thought this looked cool so i signed up for the alpha. I first played the alpha and got rekt! By the AI! Forget taking on actual people online. After a while of getting destroyed by the AI and a few online opponents i started watching the tutorials for the warden over and over again. By the second day i improved greatly over the first day. I went from losing all the time to winning matches sporadically. By the last day of the alpha i was winning a lot of fights and i held my own against some really really good people. Now if i can improve over a couple of days being about as noob as can be then anyone can. If you take the time to learn the game.
it would be a real shame if they made it easier for noobs to win because the game is great as is. You dont realize how great this game is until you figure it out and know what youre doing and come against someone who also knows and thats when this game shines.

AsgerKara
10-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Thing is though this game isnt complicated at all. Its very simple to learn but it takes skill to master. How do you get to a high level of skill? Practice!!! People are lazy and just want to be able to pick up a game and mash away and win. Forbid they actually have to put some thinking into the game!

Let me tell you a little about myself as a gamer. I do not play hack and slash games at all! I dont do dark souls or any games like it. I never played elder scrolls or the witcher games. Heck i dont even do fighting games like MK,SF,Injustice etc. Point being im a noob when it comes to these type of games. I thought this looked cool so i signed up for the alpha. I first played the alpha and got rekt! By the AI! Forget taking on actual people online. After a while of getting destroyed by the AI and a few online opponents i started watching the tutorials for the warden over and over again. By the second day i improved greatly over the first day. I went from losing all the time to winning matches sporadically. By the last day of the alpha i was winning a lot of fights and i held my own against some really really good people. Now if i can improve over a couple of days being about as noob as can be then anyone can. If you take the time to learn the game.
it would be a real shame if they made it easier for noobs to win because the game is great as is. You dont realize how great this game is until you figure it out and know what youre doing and come against someone who also knows and thats when this game shines.

Couldn't be more agree. Noobs need training and patience like everyone else in this game, we have all been there. How long is the difference between us.

Vordred
10-07-2016, 02:47 PM

i didn't say this game was complicated. i was just saying, my personal preference is for that kind of game, where you have to figure it out yourself.

no i personally have no problems with for honor and enjoy the combat system and sank a lot of time into the alpha. but like the person i was replying to originally said, if enough people are finding it difficult then it does need to be addressed, personally i think with this game that can be done by make the tutorial better. there were quite a few key things left out of the tutorial that would have helped players out.

and you are right unfortunately people these days don't want to take the time to learn and practice to get good. but that is something developers have to take into account. if they want to sell to the mass market. thankfully i think with this game, just a better tutorial and of course in the full version the campaign will fix most of the learning curve issues.

DETHREAPER_11
10-09-2016, 02:08 AM

Newb-flow is very important value in multiplayer game and make a game maintain interesting are one of lots way to keep that value. Make newbie frustrated with veteran playing top tier hero which makes years to master, is not a best plan to run a multiplayer game. I know Orochi is hard to master and it make that hero special, but only if you have a mind to think and listen; they are WORKing with Orochi, not REWORKing, this is FREAKING Alpha recap, not a 6.88e patch note, and at last, they have all the ACTUAL DATA, not simple few case that you've seen and heard. So please stfu if you haven't seen a actually Orochi of final game, or current stage.

(This post remind me of Starcraft 2 Mothership's ability, like time bomb and blackhole. It quite OP and cut/changed in final game, but there were people who saying that is quite fair, and can be counter by player skill. The result? No one care. In Alpha and Beta stage, everything are changeable.)

The point of a game is to LEARN it, like for baseball there's the major leagues, the minor leagues, pee wee, amateur, players of all different skill levels playing the SAME game and having fun. Lemme tell you something, pitching is HARD at top level, same with like Street Fighter or maybe For Honor. If you suck but have fun, then good on ya, you're the equivalent of an amateur player enjoying the game with some friends. If you suck and want to be better, then LEARN to be better, don't try to change the rules of the game to suit your low skill level. You probably won't make the major leagues, because that's the way it is. If that is TRULY your goal, practice your bloody *** off, dedicate yourself to the game, because I guarantee you that the reason you lose is because the people you face put more time and effort into the game than you have. If you don't put the time in to learn how to play the game, don't be surprised if you do badly, but since winning isn't everything, you should be having fun regardless. If you don't enjoy the game, I suggest you find a different one.

Dez_troi_aR
10-09-2016, 05:01 PM
I am on the more-skill based less casual side of the argument, too. While i want the game to be popular, i dont have a problem with the players who just want to button mash beeing gone after a while.
The last game i have played intensivly for the longest time was Starcraft1 and 2. And while RTS wasn't as popular as the mobas lately, the player base was skilled and dedicated.

NestroGER
10-09-2016, 05:20 PM
I think a game is less frustrating and more motivating when you actually understand why you got defeated. I'm used to playing fighting games, but still was wandering why my timing was off or my input was not registered by the game.