PDA

View Full Version : @Devs questions and clarity on the absence of Splitscreen

Dienekes12
10-05-2016, 01:22 AM
Hello, so, this is a question to the Dev team. I'm not sure if this is the proper channel to go through, but, it's technically feedback so it's what I'm using.

So earlier today you released the video that talked about what you learned during the Alpha. Very interesting stuff, and I'm supportive of some of the changes you're making.

But then right in the middle of the clip Mr Cardin announced that splitscreen was cancelled to make room for polishing the online experience. Now my gut reaction was to just throw up my hands, say "Oh well, guess I'm not getting this game," and disappointingly moving on with my life.

But, I really am interested in this game. Since the first announcement trailer I've been anticipating this thing. So I'm going to ask, please, can you clarify that statement. Is splitscreen only gone for online gameplay? Will I be able to play through the campaign with my girlfriend beside me? Will I be able to invite a buddy over, sit on my couch and play a game of Dominion with him, perhaps only against bots? At the very least, will I be able to duel someone in the same room as me without buying an extra tv, console, and another version of the game?

And please, I've had to talk to devs and salesmen attempting to answer around my questions before. If couch coop is gone for good, please just tell me now so I can cancel my order. If it's like that travesty in the new Star Wars Battlefront where there's only 1 or 2 pitiful modes open to splitscreen, please just tell me. I won't throw a fit or swear at you, I understand to meet deadlines and visions things have to be cut.

Other than that, even if the game ships completely without splitscreen and therefore without my monetary support. I really hope your game does well. It looks incredibly fun, and I can tell the passion that went into making this game. Thank you.

And for anyone else, who has an opinion on the now defunct splitscreen feel free to comment below. Does the lack of splitscreen matter to you, or does it not effect your enjoyment at all?

Killerbrian26
10-05-2016, 02:20 AM
I was really disappointed by that as well. However, he said they were working on polishing the online experience so I very sincerely hope it was just cut for the online play modes only. Either way I hope Ubisoft comes out with an answer soon.

JWILDS37
10-05-2016, 04:01 AM
I feel the same about this game. I'm all for it, but the fact that they decided to take out split screen is a huge bummer.

I get that they wanted to make their online experience better...but split screen offers an experience that you just cant get with online play. Being able to just set up on one TV with a buddy right next to you breeds a comradery that you just can't get over a headset.

I really want this game and I've been following it since E3 2015. I've been hyped for it for that long! But now that they said they're taking away split screen...well I just want to know what they mean by that.

Because I'm not gonna waste my time following this game anymore if they completely take away that experience.

Ganvai
10-05-2016, 02:11 PM
This is a huge disappointment. Especially the Split Screen Mode was what I (we) were looking for.

Why is it so hard for developers to imagine that there are two people that want to play together on one console. I have no room in my living room nor the money for a second console and tv.

Can't be that we are the only couple of gamers wanting to play on console together.

I think the problem is, that "Online Coop" is not a replacement for "Split Screen Coop". Its acompletely different thing. I am interested in Split Screen Coop because I couldn't care less about Online Coop.

So yeah, sadly, without this feature, this game is no longer on my wishlist.

Dez_troi_aR
10-05-2016, 03:32 PM
I think you guys are overexaggerating massively now...

I was looking forward to playing with my brother and therefor i am a little disappointed, too.
That beeing said, lets not forget that in the end splitscreen is something that is occationaly nice to have but not really contributing to the game itself. For someone who is just looking for some short fun time with a friend it can be a nice feature, but the more dedicated and less casual-orientated gamer will not really care for that. For me, it is much more important that all the mechanical fine-tuning and balancing is done in a professional way.

I think the developers deserve some praise for their honesty here. They could have included a half assed split-screen mode and cut the time on more crucial things, so the percentage of players who buy the game only for that spend their money on release day and everyone would be screwed in the end.
Instead they decide to cut one game mode so everyone gets the quality they expect.

I will add something, but that is a little subjective :
Saying that you have been hyped for the game since 2015 and wont buy it now because of the lack of splitscreen makes me wonder. Split screen wasnt evven announced back then, if i remember correctly, yet this is a deal breaker for you now. Doesn't make sense.
Next, i am not sure what you expected from the game if splitscreen was such a high proiority for you. It is obvious that split is not really an option for online gaming, at least not in a game with such beautiful graphics etc. Not if you want everything to run smooth. My technical knowledge is limited, so correct me if i am wrong but what i do know is, that a splitted screen would give you massive disadvantages ingame. Everyone who has played shooters on split knows that. Reading your oponents moves, visual signals and situational awareness are really hindered. Splitscreening the campaign against bots and enjoying the story is fine, but never would i have thought of playing that game online in split (maybe very rarely) and i am quite sure you haven't, too AND i am quite sure the devs never intended that beeing a major thing.

So please don't be outraged now just for the sake of it. It is a little sad but if you think this will ruin the game or dramatically change the way in which we will play it, you are very mistaken in my opinion. It always was just a little extra which shouldn't get in the way of finishing the important aspects. Playing with your friends works far better via online connection anyway.

I hope you won't stop following ForHonor because of that
and that we meet on the Battlefield !! :)

Dez_troi_aR
10-05-2016, 03:40 PM
Btw, does someone have the youtube llink ?
I've watched it but cannot find it again. It deserves its own threat, so ppl can discuss

Dienekes12
10-05-2016, 05:02 PM

I was looking forward to playing with my brother and therefor i am a little disappointed, too.
That beeing said, lets not forget that in the end splitscreen is something that is occationaly nice to have but not really contributing to the game itself. For someone who is just looking for some short fun time with a friend it can be a nice feature, but the more dedicated and less casual-orientated gamer will not really care for that. For me, it is much more important that all the mechanical fine-tuning and balancing is done in a professional way.

I think the developers deserve some praise for their honesty here. They could have included a half assed split-screen mode and cut the time on more crucial things, so the percentage of players who buy the game only for that spend their money on release day and everyone would be screwed in the end.
Instead they decide to cut one game mode so everyone gets the quality they expect.

Saying that you have been hyped for the game since 2015 and wont buy it now because of the lack of splitscreen makes me wonder. Split screen wasnt evven announced back then, if i remember correctly, yet this is a deal breaker for you now. Doesn't make sense.
Next, i am not sure what you expected from the game if splitscreen was such a high proiority for you. It is obvious that split is not really an option for online gaming, at least not in a game with such beautiful graphics etc. Not if you want everything to run smooth. My technical knowledge is limited, so correct me if i am wrong but what i do know is, that a splitted screen would give you massive disadvantages ingame. Everyone who has played shooters on split knows that. Reading your oponents moves, visual signals and situational awareness are really hindered. Splitscreening the campaign against bots and enjoying the story is fine, but never would i have thought of playing that game online in split (maybe very rarely) and i am quite sure you haven't, too AND i am quite sure the devs never intended that beeing a major thing.

So please don't be outraged now just for the sake of it. It is a little sad but if you think this will ruin the game or dramatically change the way in which we will play it, you are very mistaken in my opinion. It always was just a little extra which shouldn't get in the way of finishing the important aspects. Playing with your friends works far better via online connection anyway.

Well, a few things. First of all, thank you for talking on my post. And yeah, I understand that splitscreen is only ever used by about 10% of the gaming population now. But a few things:

Yes during the initial announcement for For Honor at E3 2015 they mentioned two things that got my attention: Splitscreen and a fully fleshed out campaign. Hell if you want you can even go look at my account here, I signed up to ubisoft forums specifically for For Honor after that E3 announcement.

As to myself being a casual gamer. Sure. I'll cop to that. I'm getting older now, I don't have the time or the inclination to master a single or even couple of games like I could when I was in high school or college. I have responsibilities, family, and more constraints on my time than I would like. So, when I play a game it is usually for a campaign that I thoroughly enjoy that I can blast through (such as say the Mass Effect series, yes I still enjoy that last atrocious addition) or the once or twice a month I can invite some friends over and we can play a game together.

For example, I got that Star Wars Battlefront game, and I haven't touched it since the first month it came out. You wanna know what my friends and I played two months ago when I had a little gathering? Star Wars Battlefront 2! From 2005, because we could play together and have a blast.

When I say I'm not going to get a game without splitscreen I'm being honest. I've gone down that road once or twice before and I'm not doing it again unless it's designed around being a fully dedicated single player campaign like a FromSoft or Bioware game. It's how I game, and how I'm willing to spend my money.

And of course Splitscreen gives massive disadvantages, not being able to see in a wider area around you will always give you massive disadvantages. But I'm going to be honest, I am not going to become a professional gamer. At my best I won't rise to #1 best Warden player in the NA. And I'm gonna be honest, probably neither will you. But I play to have fun, and the game looks fun. But without my friends, I don't see me spending more than a couple hours on this before leaving it for something I am more likely to enjoy either completely by myself without interaction with others online or off, or with a group of friends at my side.

So no. I am not outraged. I don't think this will ruin the game. But neither am I mistaken that this would ruin the enjoyment of the game for me. Without splitscreen it's a hard no buy for me. But that's just me. I hope you guys enjoy it. I hope it's a success. But yeah, I'm going to stop following For Honor because of it.

As to your other question, the link can be found on this very site here: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1502396-Closed-Alpha-Learnings-amp-Infographic

The first thing is the video from youtube.

JWILDS37
10-05-2016, 05:26 PM

They announced pretty early that split screen was going to be an option.

And I get that you think playing online split screen would put yourself at a disadvantage (sharing the same tv and all) but Halo used to have online split screen, and as I don't have any technical knowledge on how video games run, me and my buddy's never had a problem playing online together. Same goes with the Gears of War series. Both of these games were AAA rated and still played great at online splitscreen. And playing split screen is where all my fondest memories come from for playing dang near any video game.

Getting rid of split screen won't dramatically ruin the game, but it definitely ruined any hope of further fond memories playing side by side with a friend. Definitely hoping they at least only took it out for online.

JWILDS37
10-05-2016, 05:36 PM
Well, a few things. First of all, thank you for talking on my post. And yeah, I understand that splitscreen is only ever used by about 10% of the gaming population now. But a few things:

Yes during the initial announcement for For Honor at E3 2015 they mentioned two things that got my attention: Splitscreen and a fully fleshed out campaign. Hell if you want you can even go look at my account here, I signed up to ubisoft forums specifically for For Honor after that E3 announcement.

As to myself being a casual gamer. Sure. I'll cop to that. I'm getting older now, I don't have the time or the inclination to master a single or even couple of games like I could when I was in high school or college. I have responsibilities, family, and more constraints on my time than I would like. So, when I play a game it is usually for a campaign that I thoroughly enjoy that I can blast through (such as say the Mass Effect series, yes I still enjoy that last atrocious addition) or the once or twice a month I can invite some friends over and we can play a game together.

For example, I got that Star Wars Battlefront game, and I haven't touched it since the first month it came out. You wanna know what my friends and I played two months ago when I had a little gathering? Star Wars Battlefront 2! From 2005, because we could play together and have a blast.

When I say I'm not going to get a game without splitscreen I'm being honest. I've gone down that road once or twice before and I'm not doing it again unless it's designed around being a fully dedicated single player campaign like a FromSoft or Bioware game. It's how I game, and how I'm willing to spend my money.

And of course Splitscreen gives massive disadvantages, not being able to see in a wider area around you will always give you massive disadvantages. But I'm going to be honest, I am not going to become a professional gamer. At my best I won't rise to #1 best Warden player in the NA. And I'm gonna be honest, probably neither will you. But I play to have fun, and the game looks fun. But without my friends, I don't see me spending more than a couple hours on this before leaving it for something I am more likely to enjoy.

So no. I am not outraged. I don't think this will ruin the game. But neither am I mistaken that this would ruin the enjoyment of the game for me. Without splitscreen it's a hard no buy for me. But that's just me. I hope you guys enjoy it. I hope it's a success. But yeah, I'm going to stop following For Honor because of it.

As to your other question, the link can be found on this very site here: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1502396-Closed-Alpha-Learnings-amp-Infographic

This is exactly how I feel. My friends that come over and I still rock the Star Wars Battlefront 2 as well.

I was hyping up my friends for this game too! But without split screen, For Honor can't be a game that'll last for years to come with me and my group of friends.

Dez_troi_aR
10-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Ok, i totally get your point(s) now

Mike 258
10-05-2016, 08:35 PM
I can take the points on the disappointment of split screen but still seems like an over reaction and a shame not to get that game for that sole reason. I get the whole playing with mates thing on one console but you could still play together by taking it in turns to play against people online for example.

I would like to see the split screen though as is something I would use a bit but I'm not sure it would even work that well because of the view you would see of your opponents screen - wouldn't it give away some of what they were going to do and look a bit too messy on screen...?

Mr.Riot
10-05-2016, 10:31 PM
Damn man at this point split screen is pretty much going to a fossil now. An extinct species. It not a deal breaker for me but its really disappointing. I can only hope now that they are working on more game modes if they are going to just scrap split screen like that.

LastMoh1can
10-05-2016, 11:42 PM

Most of these people have a brother, sister, partner, parents, friends, etc, and like me, they rather play with them over a Troll on the internet. Everyone is saying this, and i'll say it again, im only getting this game because of split-screen, if not, i rather play Bannerlord, cause some rumors say that this game is getting split-screen campaign.

Now, i dont understand why remove split-screen, it is because of graphics? I DONT CARE, it is because of gameplay? Make it like diablo 3, or simply adapt to it. There is so many ways that split screen can work and they just discard it like nothing! as the topic guy, im too having dificulties in finding an excuse for this.

Did you guys hear about Sony and fallout mod support? guess what, they couldnt sustain that much pressure from their players and changed their minds. Ubisoft is next, give it some time and they will change their greedy minds, when they see that For honor pre-orders dropped 40%

PS_D0G3
10-06-2016, 01:47 AM
I just wanted to add my name here in support of split-screen. I know it is a dying feature, but that is honestly what got me looking in to this game to begin with. While I'll still give the game a go for sure, it's a huge disappointment to me and my friends.

It's especially disheartening to see this dropped since it was stated that this is a really important feature by the developers! If you are willing to cut that, what else are you cutting? Lets not have another Ubisoft failure.

Make the game the best, stick to your guns and your original vision, don't cut features just to hit a deadline!

Honorhound01
10-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Personally I won't be needing split screen but IMO it should be a part of the game, at least for offline play.

Haus_Gnom
10-06-2016, 12:17 PM
In my opinion, the abscence of split-screen isn't a big problem. I will buy the game on pc anyways, and I don't see why getting together with your friends and playing on laptop is such a big deal. Yes, it's not going to be on the same screen, but that doesn't mean I cannot play with ffriends in the same room (or even via teamspeak etc.) Ubisoft is not locking the game away from your friends and family...

damon1085
10-07-2016, 02:51 PM

And of course Splitscreen gives massive disadvantages, not being able to see in a wider area around you will always give you massive disadvantages. But I'm going to be honest, I am not going to become a professional gamer. At my best I won't rise to #1 best Warden player in the NA. And I'm gonna be honest, probably neither will you. But I play to have fun, and the game looks fun. But without my friends, I don't see me spending more than a couple hours on this before leaving it for something I am more likely to enjoy either completely by myself without interaction with others online or off, or with a group of friends at my side.

Well said! This is exactly how I feel. I got so excited for Battlefront hoping it would have the local multiplayer the Battlefront 2 does. That was a complete let down. I saw the intro to For Honor from E3 2015 and thought this would fill the void. Now they're taking that away too. As an adult with too many responsibilities fighting for my time, it is very disheartening to see that couch multiplayer in video games is dying out.

I don't know all the programming/development difficulties in adding a split screen multiplayer mode, but I find it hard to believe that it takes away from the main development of the game. If anyone with real knowledge as to why this is an issue wants to enlighten me, I'll be happy to listen.

I was on the verge of pre-ordering For Honor, but now I cannot justify it unless the local split screen comes back.

XavieroftheWind
10-12-2016, 12:48 AM
Exactly, more than anything they have to see that from a business standpoint it can only hurt them. Game is coming out AFTER a slew of AAA titles primed and ready for CHRISTMAS and they were obviously very prepared to make Halo 5 and Battlefront look bad by being one of the very few and sweet premier Split-screen games.

Unfortunately, they couldn't make it all the through but hopefully they can Patch it in post release! I'd pay for it shamelessly.

Many of the gamers today only started playing because they could split-screen with their older siblings and to see it go in this new age is disheartening. Split screen introduces new people to the market and advertises it to dormmates who will watch and ask if they can join in (imagine the disappointment when you tell them no and cannot own them in 1v1 all night).

This game isn't as easy to "get" as COD so it needs that extra edge to attract people and bring in more crowds to really succeed and produce many sequels.