PDA

View Full Version : Is the Lawbringer a descendant of a viking? [THEORY]

Killerbrian26
10-02-2016, 09:07 PM
After reading all of the updated pages on the factions, I noticed a line on the Viking's page that intrigued me.
'"The Vikings vanished centuries ago, fleeing their crumbling homelands for shores unknown.
Those left behind were conquered by the Knights and assimilated into their cultures."
The important line being how they were conquered and assimilated by the knights. After reading that, I went through the Knight's classes to see any correlations between the Knights and Vikings. I found two. The first being the Peacekeeper, do to her twin swords being liken to the berserker's twin axes. However, I don't think this is anything more than a coincidence. The berserkers are said to be beastlike and come from the woods, while the peacekeepers look elegant and civilized. As well as this she is also much smaller in size than the other viking women.
The next one I found was the Lawbringer. I thought this was the most viking like knight for a few reasons. Them being his weapon and his size. His size is massive. He is notably bigger than all the other knights safe the conqueror.
(Picture for reference)
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/for-honor/images/5/5a/For_Honor_Peacekeeper_Warden_Conqueror_Lawbringer. jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160818021337
The viking Raider (the viking class he shares the most similarities with) is also most notably massive, and he doesn't even wear armor. The other similarity I found was his weapon. His weapon looks more like a massive poleaxe than it does a halberd, at least to me. The viking raider also wields a similar weapon: The Dane Axe. These two things are key in why I think the lawbringer is a descendant of a viking. The armor and weapon difference coming as a result of assimilation with knight culture.

While I don't think this confirms anything, I just thought it would be a nice discussion starter and fun to see what other people think, as well as a good diversion from everyone's constant complaining about the closed alpha's class balance.

MyStach
10-02-2016, 10:32 PM
we stay pure !
#OrochiThings

ARCH777ANGEL
10-02-2016, 11:42 PM
After reading all of the updated pages on the factions, I noticed a line on the Viking's page that intrigued me.
'"The Vikings vanished centuries ago, fleeing their crumbling homelands for shores unknown.
Those left behind were conquered by the Knights and assimilated into their cultures."
The important line being how they were conquered and assimilated by the knights. After reading that, I went through the Knight's classes to see any correlations between the Knights and Vikings. I found two. The first being the Peacekeeper, do to her twin swords being liken to the berserker's twin axes. However, I don't think this is anything more than a coincidence. The berserkers are said to be beastlike and come from the woods, while the peacekeepers look elegant and civilized. As well as this she is also much smaller in size than the other viking women.
The next one I found was the Lawbringer. I thought this was the most viking like knight for a few reasons. Them being his weapon and his size. His size is massive. He is notably bigger than all the other knights safe the conqueror.
(Picture for reference)
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/for-honor/images/5/5a/For_Honor_Peacekeeper_Warden_Conqueror_Lawbringer. jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160818021337
The viking Raider (the viking class he shares the most similarities with) is also most notably massive, and he doesn't even wear armor. The other similarity I found was his weapon. His weapon looks more like a massive poleaxe than it does a halberd, at least to me. The viking raider also wields a similar weapon: The Dane Axe. These two things are key in why I think the lawbringer is a descendant of a viking. The armor and weapon difference coming as a result of assimilation with knight culture.

While I don't think this confirms anything, I just thought it would be a nice discussion starter and fun to see what other people think, as well as a good diversion from everyone's constant complaining about the closed alpha's class balance.

I don't know will need to see what the play style is

Killerbrian26
10-03-2016, 04:49 AM
we stay pure !
#OrochiThings

If you watch the class video for the Orochi, the narrator says they were trained by the ninja clans.

"Pure"

Dez_troi_aR
10-03-2016, 03:51 PM
(Picture for reference)

From what we know about the Lawbringers, they are very high up in hierarchy and seem to have a Judicial function aside from the military one. I refer to Holden Cross and the unnamed lawbringer that destroyed appoleon's village. Both are Commanders in the field but also can freely choose the means to serve Justice and Honor, wheather it is the sparing of Darbeny's (?) life after he lost his honor in the first knight mission or the villages exposition to viking destruction for strategic reasons in the lore. I think both examples show lawbringers as commanders and judges, which means they should be higher in social ranks than the other knight classes.
It could of course be the case that some of them are of viking heritage but it is unlikely for the lawbringers to be a class specifically filled with vikings because of their high status for two reasons. First, the legion-society would have to be a very mobile one, which would be very untypical for anything slightly medieval, if the conquered would have chances to rise so high.
Second, the vikings themselves would have to break with their former identity on a broad level to be able to suddenly command the armies that just conquered their lands. Same thing counts for the Lawbringers strong sense of honor and the legions interests (if holden cross is to be taken as a typical example of the lawbringer). While the vikings society of course also is about honor etc, their concept of it propably differs form that of the legion.

I would expect to see viking descendants among the Conquerors more than the lawbringers.

Fun theorie nontheless!

Ok, i had fun writing this. A welcome diversion from all the nagging about what people think is OP and pointless DLC requests about including Spartans, Dragons and Batman into the game. :D
Thanks

ButtSavitch
10-03-2016, 06:12 PM
But Dez, Batman is best Knight.

Reaper_Sykko
10-03-2016, 06:41 PM
(Picture for reference)

:O where did you get the info on the remaining classes? is it new? coz i cant find it on the website. (**** YEAH DUALSWORDZ!!!)

Dez_troi_aR
10-03-2016, 06:56 PM
:O where did you get the info on the remaining classes? is it new? coz i cant find it on the website. (**** YEAH DUALSWORDZ!!!)
I could have missed something but there is no new info about the remaining classes yet. We just know that the peacekeeper has two weapons because he has.... well, two weapons :D
(Oh, and from the factions trailer of course, which is on youtube and on the ubi homepage)

But Dez, Batman is best Knight.
He's a dark KNIGHT, we need a new DLC!!!!111!!!11! .... oh Lord what have i done, i have unleashed the fanboys

ButtSavitch
10-03-2016, 07:22 PM
He's the hero For Honor deserves but not the one it needs right now. In all honesty though, I'm just surprised I haven't seen it yet. As far as seeing things goes though I would love to see just anything on any of the other classes, or a beta test, either way.

Killerbrian26
10-04-2016, 03:44 AM
From what we know about the Lawbringers, they are very high up in hierarchy and seem to have a Judicial function aside from the military one. I refer to Holden Cross and the unnamed lawbringer that destroyed appoleon's village. Both are Commanders in the field but also can freely choose the means to serve Justice and Honor, wheather it is the sparing of Darbeny's (?) life after he lost his honor in the first knight mission or the villages exposition to viking destruction for strategic reasons in the lore. I think both examples show lawbringers as commanders and judges, which means they should be higher in social ranks than the other knight classes.
It could of course be the case that some of them are of viking heritage but it is unlikely for the lawbringers to be a class specifically filled with vikings because of their high status for two reasons. First, the legion-society would have to be a very mobile one, which would be very untypical for anything slightly medieval, if the conquered would have chances to rise so high.
Second, the vikings themselves would have to break with their former identity on a broad level to be able to suddenly command the armies that just conquered their lands. Same thing counts for the Lawbringers strong sense of honor and the legions interests (if holden cross is to be taken as a typical example of the lawbringer). While the vikings society of course also is about honor etc, their concept of it propably differs form that of the legion.

I would expect to see viking descendants among the Conquerors more than the lawbringers.

Fun theorie nontheless!

Ok, i had fun writing this. A welcome diversion from all the nagging about what people think is OP and pointless DLC requests about including Spartans, Dragons and Batman into the game. :D
Thanks

Perhaps it was less of "We are vikings that dress and act like knights now" and more of an assimilation of the cultures. Maybe it was kind of like the knights taking what they considered the best aspects from the viking's culture and applying it to their own. Maybe the name itself is a reference to the fact they had some interaction with the vikings. Maybe they were the group of knights that had to fight off and keep the vikings who were left behind in line. By nature, vikings would unruly and lawless to the upright knights, so the name came from the fact they brought law and order to that land. Perhaps this would be how they earned the respect of others and got into such a high social standing. Their weapons and size do hold some weight with me as to some possible intermixing of cultures. One must remember that these types of knights have been around for centuries, as referenced in how the wardens are "members of an ancient order, fallen to dust", so it wouldn't be unlikely that these names have been around for long periods of time and would simply have stuck around.

Dez_troi_aR
10-04-2016, 10:22 AM
It's possible depending on how far back in time the Legion's conquest of the viking Lands is.
The warden's campaign begins in the south of the legions lands, which is as far away from the northern viking lands as it gets. That holden cross is there, dealing with business that is not connected to fighting of vikings, proofs that there is no longer a direct connection between the lawbringers and gouverning/bringing law to viking lands. It could still be the origin of their order, we cannot know that yet (or maybe never will, depending on how deep the story will be :) )

waraidako
10-04-2016, 09:27 PM
We vikings are everwhere. Fear us. Our fury is relentless. Our might is unstoppable. Our prowess is unmatched.