PDA

View Full Version : Are Jacob and Evie the most morally bankrupt assassins yet?

TheHumanTowel
09-30-2016, 08:58 PM
So I'm playing Syndicate where Jacob and Evie liberate the poor underclass by killing vast amounts of the poor underclass. Bit awkward but I'm mostly able to suspend by disbelief that all Blighters are irredeemably evil until they join you after you kill their boss. Then I get to the part where you free Nigel and destroy evidence of a murder that he drunkenly committed. Like he actually did murder a man during a drunken brawl. But whatever the victim was apparently a blighter and therefore not human. Oh Nigel you scamp!

But now I've just played the Karl Marx mission and I'm actually kind of disgusted with myself. Having met Marx two minutes ago and immediately agreeing to help him despite not knowing who he was I've just murdered like 9 policemen. Like I guess they were suppressing Marx's speech but do they really deserve to die for that? Seems like they're just ordinary people doing their job. But they're in the way of a character Ubisoft has designated as "good" and therefore it's okay for you to slaughter them.

Anyway I just thought this mission was bizarre as it makes both Jacob/Evie and Karl Marx look like psychopaths. Also makes all the bounty hunting missions where you kidnap some pickpocket and moralise to them about the errors of their ways seem a bit rich when you're a police murderer. Are Jacob and Evie the least moral assassins ever? You decide.

But the answer is yes.

Namikaze_17
09-30-2016, 09:28 PM
Things like morality and death are just jokes in Syndicate. No one gives a damn.

Also funny how they depise Jack The Ripper for his murders, deeming him a "monster" and whatnot, but who did he learn from? :rolleyes:

TheHumanTowel
09-30-2016, 10:38 PM
Things like morality and death are just jokes in Syndicate. No one gives a damn.

Also funny how they depise Jack The Ripper for his murders, deeming him a "monster" and whatnot, but who did he learn from? :rolleyes:
It's funny in this game how most of the historical characters you meet are writers or scientists but because this is an AC game when you meet them they end up soliciting you to murder people for them. So you've got ridiculous situations like Charles Darwin telling you to kill people. There's always been a bit of this factor in other AC games but the dissonance in Syndicate is on another level.

D.I.D.
10-01-2016, 01:38 AM
:) They're not the worst! I think it's just more shocking because these police feel the most like modern police, but there's no difference between them and any guards/soldiers we've ever seen.

I'm interested to see how Dishonored 2 handles this. I've heard that, to get around the sadness of D1 making stealth players have to anaesthetise and cuddle everyone to sleep for the "good" ending, this time some guards are discovered to be awful people and fair game for evisceration. Maybe AC could do with this too :)

Sushiglutton
10-01-2016, 02:06 PM
Haha great post, have to admit I laughed pretty hard at your description. I guess the defence will rest heavily on: "IT'S A GAME YOU F*TARD".

Farlander1991
10-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Yeah, this is the dichotomy that happens when you have a game about killing people that's in the style of a buddy comedy. Which on one hand was the goal based on what Jeffrey has said in interviews, but on another one, can bring to things like this...

cawatrooper9
10-05-2016, 04:59 PM
Yeah, this is the dichotomy that happens when you have a game about killing people that's in the style of a buddy comedy. Which on one hand was the goal based on what Jeffrey has said in interviews, but on another one, can bring to things like this...

Bingo. There are a lot of ways to handle death in media. There's the Game of Thrones route where death carries a lot of weight, even when the characters involved seem rather cavalier about it. This is a pretty serious form of murder even when a certain character dies on the toilet, it's not so much played for laughs as it is just to show how pathetic the situation is.

On the other hand, there's what I'll call the "Marvel" method of treating with death. I guess Civil War kind of addresses this, so maybe calling it the "Marvel Method" isn't entirely fair, but whatever. Anyway, consider the destruction in Avengers. We KNOW a lot of people died in that fight, because it's even referenced in later movies. Yet, at least in Avengers, it isn't really acknowledged. Instead, we get a big brassy score and epic shots of the heroes standing back to back as they fight off hordes of pointless aliens.

I'm not saying either method is better than the other- in fact, it probably would be kind of a downer if the first Avengers movie had chosen to focus on bureaucracy and the morality of violence (plus, I think it was pretty well handled in Cap 3). My point is just that, much how AC3 and Unity go more for the "Game of Thrones" approach, Syndicate seems more like it fits in with the "Marvel" approach, in that it tries to be a little more lighthearted. The juxtaposition just feels a little more strange, because we typically don't see Captain America dislodge his bloody shield from an enemy's skull- the Assassins tend to get their hands a little dirtier in their killing.

At the end of the day, though, I doubt there was a single Assassin who wasn't a little morally bankrupt. They're killers. Maybe they have the best of intentions, but all their talk of liberty and freedom seems to clash pretty badly with their "work in the shadows to serve the light" intent. If the Assassins weren't power hungry control freaks, the general public would be well aware of the Pieces of Eden- because, after all, they'd be pretty important for people to know about.

LoyalACFan
10-08-2016, 10:00 PM
The juxtaposition just feels a little more strange, because we typically don't see Captain America dislodge his bloody shield from an enemy's skull- the Assassins tend to get their hands a little dirtier in their killing.

I think this is the critical part that makes the tone feel kind of off. It's like a Marvel movie with Tarantino-level violence. While in a Tarantino movie the violence is played for shock value and plot development, in Syndicate it's just kind of shrugged away as "it's a video game, it's what you're supposed to do."

cawatrooper9
10-10-2016, 03:37 PM
I think this is the critical part that makes the tone feel kind of off. It's like a Marvel movie with Tarantino-level violence. While in a Tarantino movie the violence is played for shock value and plot development, in Syndicate it's just kind of shrugged away as "it's a video game, it's what you're supposed to do."

Yeah, that's definitely problematic. Death should probably be a little more sacred in these games, and sometimes it is- but it's a tough line to walk, because if you overcorrect too much you end up with a bleak and "gritty" story like Unity.

D.I.D.
10-10-2016, 04:27 PM

It's not a new thing in Syndicate. Any AC that insists you're the hero rather than an assassin has this problem.

cawatrooper9
10-10-2016, 05:22 PM
It's not a new thing in Syndicate. Any AC that insists you're the hero rather than an assassin has this problem.

Preach.

Ezio was just as much of a psychopath- perhaps even more so.
You'd have to be deluded to think that, even given its Templar affiliation, Cappadocia wasn't full of innocents. Ezio's definitely got blood on his hands.

Most of the ships that Edward can raid in the Caribbean have no Templar affiliation. Edward's got blood on his hands.

Ezio and Edward are typically (if not wrongfully) thought of as "lighthearted", and I wonder if that isn't just partly because they treat combat like Legolas and Gimli counting their tally at Helm's Deep rather than giving the death more weight. Consider Ezio right after he dons the robes. We know that he was no stranger to violence as we see his street fights, but once he gets a sword the first thing he starts doing is swinging it around, literally right out the door! He could kill two guards right away, and show absolutely no remorse for it. Same goes for Connor at Achilles' barn, sort of. I get that both cases are self defense, but it would be nice if the characters at least acknowledged the weight of what they'd just done.

I'd say Connor and Shay (and to some extent Arno and Altair) have it a little different in that they're in a combat zone during war or violence. You can argue ethics all day, but there is at least some degree of difference between killing during war and outside of it.

If anything, I think it might be really interesting to examine this further. What happens when an Assassin gets too sensitized, or develops some weird hero complex? Can they still be a "hero" (in terms of the story) or have they become a monster? We arguably saw that a little with Altair, but I'd like to really delve into that in a game.

Farlander1991
10-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Eeeeh, I would argue that situation with Syndicate is different.

Let's take a different series. Uncharted. Is Nathan Drake a psychopath? Yes, if we apply our real world values - you can't just kill as many people as he has and quip jokes about that. But Uncharted is not real world and it does not pose itself as realistic. It's pulp action. Like Indiana Jones (who also kills quite a few people). Yes, Nathan deals with issues of trust, insecurity, addiction to adventure in his arcs, so it's not like there's nothing human about the characters in the game (heck, I believe one of the reasons they work so well is because the characters are very human), but ultimately you're a good guy fighting against bad guys (even when you get called out on the amount of people you've killed once). And it's fine, Uncharted doesn't try to take some moral highground - it's some adventury fun.

In AC2 it's very similar thing. Even though there are a few cases of trying to humanize some characters or NPCs (like Uberto's letter, or some guards in tombs), ultimately it's good guys fighting against bad guys. People that Ezio kills are corrupt, seek power, and the world is a better place without them. Most of the guards are no better. The dichotomy in AC2 comes more from the fact that it follows AC1 which deals with the question very differently, where it puts your actions under question always. But ultimately, AC2 is a clear good guy vs. bad guy adventure where yes, killing is taken lightly, but ultimately it's consistent with the tone (even if we disagree with the tone itself).

Then we have ACS. The 'problem' with ACS is that in the game Templars have a point. They're not clear cut villains like they are in AC2. They actually have a system that works, and us meddling with them makes it worse and can ruin people's lives or put lives to danger. ACS tries to do both things at the same time - be a light adventure comedy when it comes to portrayal of Evie and Jacob where it's like 'oh boy Jacob you rascal!', and at the same time try to be ambiguous with the portrayal of Templars and how Jacob's actions ruin the system and people's lives. And it just doesn't quite mix.

I don't think AC4 has this situation, because the game is about a ***** becoming a better person. Edward does have blood on his hands, and I don't think that's hidden beneath anything, considering that he is regularly reminded by different people about how much he sucks and the arc is pretty much about that. The game doesn't hide that he's selfish, full of himself and sometimes hypocritical even.

And, while we're at it, the Cappodocia incident - I would argue that ACR handles Ezio differently than AC2/ACB. There he's not a hero. He doesn't respect the dead (Leandros), kills wrong target (Tarik), tries to use people to capture Arsenale (and gets a WTF about that from Yusuf), and that all ties into his arc of deciding to retire. There it makes sense, I think. Ezio is not infallable, and Cappadocia incident is not shown as something heroic that makes people's lives better.

cawatrooper9
10-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Eeeeh, I would argue that situation with Syndicate is different.

Let's take a different series. Uncharted. Is Nathan Drake a psychopath? Yes, if we apply our real world values - you can't just kill as many people as he has and quip jokes about that. But Uncharted is not real world and it does not pose itself as realistic. It's pulp action. Like Indiana Jones (who also kills quite a few people). Yes, Nathan deals with issues of trust, insecurity, addiction to adventure in his arcs, so it's not like there's nothing human about the characters in the game (heck, I believe one of the reasons they work so well is because the characters are very human), but ultimately you're a good guy fighting against bad guys (even when you get called out on the amount of people you've killed once). And it's fine, Uncharted doesn't try to take some moral highground - it's some adventury fun.

In AC2 it's very similar thing. Even though there are a few cases of trying to humanize some characters or NPCs (like Uberto's letter, or some guards in tombs), ultimately it's good guys fighting against bad guys. People that Ezio kills are corrupt, seek power, and the world is a better place without them. Most of the guards are no better. The dichotomy in AC2 comes more from the fact that it follows AC1 which deals with the question very differently, where it puts your actions under question always. But ultimately, AC2 is a clear good guy vs. bad guy adventure where yes, killing is taken lightly, but ultimately it's consistent with the tone (even if we disagree with the tone itself).

Then we have ACS. The 'problem' with ACS is that in the game Templars have a point. They're not clear cut villains like they are in AC2. They actually have a system that works, and us meddling with them makes it worse and can ruin people's lives or put lives to danger. ACS tries to do both things at the same time - be a light adventure comedy when it comes to portrayal of Evie and Jacob where it's like 'oh boy Jacob you rascal!', and at the same time try to be ambiguous with the portrayal of Templars and how Jacob's actions ruin the system and people's lives. And it just doesn't quite mix.

I don't think AC4 has this situation, because the game is about a ***** becoming a better person. Edward does have blood on his hands, and I don't think that's hidden beneath anything, considering that he is regularly reminded by different people about how much he sucks and the arc is pretty much about that. The game doesn't hide that he's selfish, full of himself and sometimes hypocritical even.

And, while we're at it, the Cappodocia incident - I would argue that ACR handles Ezio differently than AC2/ACB. There he's not a hero. He doesn't respect the dead (Leandros), kills wrong target (Tarik), tries to use people to capture Arsenale (and gets a WTF about that from Yusuf), and that all ties into his arc of deciding to retire. There it makes sense, I think. Ezio is not infallable, and Cappadocia incident is not shown as something heroic that makes people's lives better.

Hmmm... I do like your interpretation that Revelations is a little darker than the previous Ezio stuff, but I'm not really sure all of the points made are fair. I do think that you're spot on about Tarik, and could you elaborate on what you mean about him not respecting Leandros in death? I do not think that Ezio really acknowledges the incident at the Arsenal or Cappadocia, though. He just kind of walks away from both events while the fires still burn- I'm not really sure where you're getting the impression that he has remorse for them.

And yes, Syndicate's tone is a little lighter, but I don't think the spin that game at all ignores consequence is fair. In fact, it handles consequence pretty thoroughly. After almost every major assassination, Evie has a mission where she literally has to go clean up the mess Jacob made, and her frustration with this plays pretty heavily into their relationship.

LoyalACFan
10-10-2016, 08:52 PM
Hmmm... I do like your interpretation that Revelations is a little darker than the previous Ezio stuff, but I'm not really sure all of the points made are fair. I do think that you're spot on about Tarik, and could you elaborate on what you mean about him not respecting Leandros in death? I do not think that Ezio really acknowledges the incident at the Arsenal or Cappadocia, though. He just kind of walks away from both events while the fires still burn- I'm not really sure where you're getting the impression that he has remorse for them.

He never directly says anything about it, but he gets called out on it every time. Like Farlander said, Yusuf chides him for endangering the rioters at the Arsenal gates, and both Dilara and Manuel Palaiologos (really getting tired of typing that name) decry his tactics in smoking out Cappadocia. It's subtle, and Ezio never gets a moment where he comes right out and says "Hey, I'm not perfect!" but it's definitely there. His mistakes aren't glossed over.

Oh, and as for Leandros, he says "rest in peace, bastard" and slams his corpse to the ground instead of the customary gentle lowering of the body. So he's obviously "getting too old for this sh*t" at that point.

And yes, Syndicate's tone is a little lighter, but I don't think the spin that game at all ignores consequence is fair. In fact, it handles consequence pretty thoroughly. After almost every major assassination, Evie has a mission where she literally has to go clean up the mess Jacob made, and her frustration with this plays pretty heavily into their relationship.

This was something I actually really liked about Syndicate (having to clean up after your own mess as another character) but it doesn't really deal with morals. Jacob's "mistakes" are more about how sloppy and poorly-planned his kills are, not the fact that he's killing in the first place. Evie's running around stabbing people the whole time too. Just ask Lucy Thorne.

Farlander1991
10-10-2016, 09:00 PM

Well, Ezio says to Leandros 'Reqcuescat in Pace, bastardo!' as he throws his body to the ground, that's a stark contrast to how he acted after Mario taught him to respect the dead. Regarding Arsenale/Cappodocia, I'm not saying that he feels remorse openly (although when it comes to acknowledgment, he does say to Yusuf regarding the Arsenal that he knows it's not pretty, and when it comes to Cappodocia, Manuel tells to his face 'wtf look what chaos you've caused!', so it's not like it was unnoticed), but that it shows how careless and tired he has become, and that it plays into his desire to finally retire and live a normal life (something he wanted to do ever since the first hours of AC2).

I'm not saying that Syndicate ignores the consequences (in fact I stated the opposite - that it doesn't), what I'm saying is that the tone of Syndicate is at clash with oneself. It's 'oh fun adventure let's kill a doctor!' followed by 'holy ****, a kid almost died', and on one hand you can say that it's intended (and my favourite Sequence from the game - Sequence 8, works a lot because it shows the dark side of 'weeee fun'), but on another hand even that part is at clash with oneself, when almost ruining the economy of a country with insane consequences is recognized by a joke, 'just try not to do that again, ok?' - 'yeah, sure sis.'

BananaBlighter
10-10-2016, 09:50 PM
This was something I actually really liked about Syndicate (having to clean up after your own mess as another character) but it doesn't really deal with morals. Jacob's "mistakes" are more about how sloppy and poorly-planned his kills are, not the fact that he's killing in the first place. Evie's running around stabbing people the whole time too. Just ask Lucy Thorne.

This is something I actually don't get about the story, because they pose it as if the mess created was because of Jacob's sloppiness, so that the plot can continue and Evie has an excuse to get mad at him, but in reality I don't see how things would've been any different had Evie done it all instead. Really it's about how, while the Templar's may be cruel and oppressive in their governing of London, the city needs them, and in a sense they are keeping it in order, which can be stretched to say, depending on your perspective, that they are helping it. Without them it goes to chaos, and that essentially sums up the Assassin and Templar conflicting ideologies.

But as Farlander said, it's really weird when they try to touch on these more serious topics and then just start joking about it, never going deep enough. It's possibly the only redeeming aspect of Syndicate's story, and yet only in certain parts (sequence 8) is it ever dealt with appropriately.

LoyalACFan
10-10-2016, 10:49 PM
This is something I actually don't get about the story, because they pose it as if the mess created was because of Jacob's sloppiness, so that the plot can continue and Evie has an excuse to get mad at him, but in reality I don't see how things would've been any different had Evie done it all instead. Really it's about how, while the Templar's may be cruel and oppressive in their governing of London, the city needs them, and in a sense they are keeping it in order, which can be stretched to say, depending on your perspective, that they are helping it. Without them it goes to chaos, and that essentially sums up the Assassin and Templar conflicting ideologies.

But as Farlander said, it's really weird when they try to touch on these more serious topics and then just start joking about it, never going deep enough. It's possibly the only redeeming aspect of Syndicate's story, and yet only in certain parts (sequence 8) is it ever dealt with appropriately.

Well, with Twopenny for example, Jacob rushed the kill and attacked him inside the bank, which caused the whole place to be locked off and the British pound to briefly go into freefall. And killing that guy at the behest of Pearl Attaway before he knew her connection to Starrick caused some problems Evie probably wouldn't have initiated.

cawatrooper9
10-10-2016, 10:50 PM
Huh, interesting about Leandros. Somehow I never caught that, but it does seem to really imply Ezio was going through some stuff or had become a little jaded.

Regarding Syndicate, though- I don't know, I simply disagree. I think that maybe the twins, being younger and possibly from being more modern as well, are pretty sarcastic, so that might have something to do with it.

I would disagree that the "clean up missions" don't have anything to do with morality just because they don't deal with Evie denouncing the kill itself. Whether or not they're justified, they do believe that these targets need to die. Jacob is careless and Evie is just a little more aware of how her actions affect others.That's not to say Jacob is a bad person, or anything, but what he's done does have negative consequences, and Evie very much acknowledges that- much like how we've specifically cherry-picked instances of Ezio being called out on his misdeeds, even though he assuredly had the best of intentions.

Namikaze_17
10-10-2016, 11:48 PM

The Evie & Jacob thing reminded me a little of the banter that Malik had with Alta´r (after killing Talal) - how should a kill be executed?

Sure, Evie has points, but what ultimately matters in the end is if the initial kill was performed. Jacob, regardless of what I consider is forced consequence, did exactly that. Like you said, the city in itself needs the Templars. Their century reign had made the "chain" too tight, and was gonna react that way regardless of who killed them, when, how or why.

The thing is that the Assassins should not be entirely responsible for people's daily problems; they're meant to preserve for the overall 'greater good' of mankind by simply stopping the Templars.

crash_1232015
10-12-2016, 10:30 AM
The games do seem a bit too polar between good and bad, I think AC3 did a very good job of creating a grey area where we questioned why we had to kill each and every target