PDA

View Full Version : I hate the design in AC1

joshoolhorst
09-29-2016, 10:09 PM
Don't take my words hard but yeah I'm just frustrated.
I really hate the design of things for example:
- In the beginning of the game we get a tutorial in the Animus with some random lady voice robot voice (Which is okÚ I guess I think Altair is doing some mission while the game is instructing Desmond how to kill?) we get to know all Altairs skills and start the game... Now all our skills are taken away from us
- The game treats me like a ***** because Altair killed someone which I didn't do HE DID.
Now we get instructed again, again and AGAIN how to play the game it feels like the biggest boring openings tutorial I have ever played!
-Everytime my control is taken way from me in some kind of gameplay cutscene LOOK I like Telltale games but here NOPE
-The editing is horrible between past and present WHICH I FORGIVE THEM FOR IT WAS THEIR FIRST TIME BUT... Did it had to be this interupting!? speaking of Desmond he asks about Abstergo how it works but his parents probably told him anyway but he didn't believe that much and thought they were more of an insane cult.
-Repetitive

I respect your opinion but I really hate this sorry and correct me if I'm wrong because I lost my copy of Revelations

D.I.D.
09-29-2016, 11:19 PM
I think it's a great beginning. It might be over-tutorialised but you have to remember that when it came out, there was no AC! Everything needed to be explained because no other open-field game had this sophistication.

But for story, it's excellent. Virtually every game needs you to start weak and earn your strength, but AC1's method turned the usual "na´ve kid becomes hardened warrior" template on its head. Instead, Altair's hardness is his downfall, resulting in his de-powering (which also gives us this great double-twist about the mentor), and that creates our ladder to power from a different cause. In story terms, Altair goes from hard-headed certainty to learning detachment and open-mindedness.

cawatrooper9
09-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Yeah, from a 2016 standpoint it might seem oversimplified, but back in 2007 (almost a decade ago!) no one had ever played any Assassins Creed games. There were a lot of elements (particularly the puppeteering concept and the freerunning) that were pretty unique at the time. The handholding makes sense, from that perspective.

And yes, Altair killed someone and the player in a way gets the blame- but that's because Altair is basically an avatar for the player in the game. It's hardly unique for this game, and there would obviously be a weird disconnect if the player's character and the player himself were somehow treated differently in the game- I mean, Assassins Creed is already pretty meta, with its acknowledgment of the Animus and stuff.

SixKeys
09-30-2016, 05:39 PM
- The game treats me like a ***** because Altair killed someone which I didn't do HE DID.

I really don't understand what you mean by this. Of course the game treats us like we did something bad because the main character did something bad. We are supposed to be roleplaying that character. Or are you referring to the disconnect between Desmond and Alta´r? I honestly am confused what you're talking about here.

joshoolhorst
09-30-2016, 09:23 PM
I really don't understand what you mean by this. Of course the game treats us like we did something bad because the main character did something bad. We are supposed to be roleplaying that character. Or are you referring to the disconnect between Desmond and Alta´r? I honestly am confused what you're talking about here.

I talk about Altair here he does stuff which I don't have control over which I would be okÚ with but when I get the feelings for hours that almost everything hates me in the game and Altair acts like an **** yeah I kinda get pissed

SixKeys
09-30-2016, 10:06 PM
I talk about Altair here he does stuff which I don't have control over which I would be okÚ with but when I get the feelings for hours that almost everything hates me in the game and Altair acts like an **** yeah I kinda get pissed

Machiavelli acts pissed at you throughout the first three or four sequences in ACB thanks to Ezio's idiocy for sparing Rodrigo's life, which resulted in the destruction of Monteriggioni, Mario's death and losing the Apple to the Borgia. Were you also pissed at having to play Ezio during those moments when everyone blamed you for stuff you had no control over?

Righteous Angel
10-01-2016, 03:10 PM
AC 1 was an amazing game for its time yes it lacked content but made up for it with quality. The setting was fantastic and suited the game the most in my opinion. Visiting Acre and Jerusalem for the first time was great and the viewpoints were stunning we had never seen anything like it before back then.

I wish we could go back to that era for a whole new game, to me it was wasted potential.