PDA

View Full Version : About difficulty and being on the safe side ...

TrialsFusioniot
09-25-2016, 05:51 PM
Just want to ring that bell again, the one with a proper difficulty in the game. It looks good right now with the G-Force meter.
Thing is Ubi doing games for mainstream, I think sometimes the games end up to easy and therefore get boring. I downloaded The Crew recently for free and this weekend got family overnight with the little boys playing The Crew. I mean the self righting cars and so on are nice and that it is not so difficult, but a 6 year old driving without problems from Detroit to San Francisco in his first try on hardcore setting, without any major hick-up, that's a bit too easy, is not it? He was literally just grabbing the pad and went off following the blue ribbon. I mean I understand that games being too difficult will seriously hurt sales, but the exact opposite will just render them boring. I stopped at Level 2 in The Crew for example. I mean I am not asking for Dirt Rally difficulty, but if you just have to hold a button until you are there with no bigger risk of messing up that makes me a bit excited, then what's the point. Games are most interesting when you can win AND loose. The nerve tingling fear of loosing that keeps the pulse up!

In that sense, please make it possible in Steep to fall down mountains when walking during exploration. Otherwise, what would be the risk, i.e. the 'game', when exploring. Exploration would just be boring if you can not mess it up somehow.

P.S. Thanks for Smurfs 2, Ubisoft! Hypnotizing killergame. Gargamel got it good! More difficult than The Crew actually.

XmjX92
09-25-2016, 07:08 PM
Just want to ring that bell again, the one with a proper difficulty in the game. It looks good right now with the G-Force meter.
Thing is Ubi doing games for mainstream, I think sometimes the games end up to easy and therefore get boring. I downloaded The Crew recently for free and this weekend got family overnight with the little boys playing The Crew. I mean the self righting cars and so on are nice and that it is not so difficult, but a 6 year old driving without problems from Detroit to San Francisco in his first try on hardcore setting, without any major hick-up, that's a bit too easy, is not it? He was literally just grabbing the pad and went off following the blue ribbon. I mean I understand that games being too difficult will seriously hurt sales, but the exact opposite will just render them boring. I stopped at Level 2 in The Crew for example. I mean I am not asking for Dirt Rally difficulty, but if you just have to hold a button until you are there with no bigger risk of messing up that makes me a bit excited, then what's the point. Games are most interesting when you can win AND loose. The nerve tingling fear of loosing that keeps the pulse up!

In that sense, please make it possible in Steep to fall down mountains when walking during exploration. Otherwise, what would be the risk, i.e. the 'game', when exploring. Exploration would just be boring if you can not mess it up somehow.

P.S. Thanks for Smurfs 2, Ubisoft! Hypnotizing killergame. Gargamel got it good! More difficult than The Crew actually.

Adding a realistic difficulty will sure bring more life to the game. Skate 3 had a good example of doing that.

Fruitarian
09-25-2016, 07:16 PM
I hope the difficulty is up there so that we don't need a 'realistic' mode! What they have right now feels very egalitarian. Not just easy access, hard mastery.. but with g-force and the fine detail in the world.. as well as the impulse system.. my hope is that repeating the same trick twice will require good skill, good positioning, speed control, timing.. and a splash of luck.

As for the hiking mechanics.. I think you may have surprised them with your enthusiasm Trials! ;) Don't think they expected people to want to 'play' the game that way, but I love your ideas of traversal, discovery.. and adding skill depth to it which may have to come later.. they all sound epic. For now maybe they could switch off that barrier which prevents falls though, or at least make it a toggle for the hardcore?

TrialsFusioniot
09-26-2016, 07:38 AM
Well, there are two things that might be a negative review point with the walking and the exploring in general.

First the auto stop in itself, when you are yearning to ragdoll your character down the Eiger by doing a lemming walk. The auto stop also does not stop the leg movements, which looks funny. People already start making fun of it in Youtube videos on the Ultra Natural Kickers. It also is not really 2016 standard. I am thinking of GTA5, where you could actually walk over edges and ragdoll down.

Second, with the zero-difficulty in walking/paragliding there is zero 'game' in the exploring. Ubi tends to really go for ultra large worlds for the worlds sake, not because any gameplay needs it. That was the one thing in the The Crew. What do you do in this world if the entire gameplay is so easy thatholding down a button until you reach the destination is the only thing you have to do. The Crew metacritic scores in not high, gently put, both from press and users, which is normally a reliable indicator on metacritic. Like for the exploring in Steep, first make it possible to fall down slopes, cliffs and so on, like in real life. Then maybe add a exhaustion meter that forces you to pause if you went up the ultra large slope for too long, I do not know, add power bars that you can eat and have to buy, something that makes it an actual game. For paragliding, no idea what could go wrong to make it exciting. Maybe the wind meter more responsive, ie. loose height faster when there is not thermal.

I am just a little concerned Steep will suffer The Crews faith. In the EGX gameplay video you see the players going on after they finsihed the kicker event. The enter this little village with nothing in there and nothing to do, and on top of that also the snowboarding that get them through there is undemandng. You can already say, that this is going to be a visit once, never again piece of the landscape because there is nothing that is a 'game' in there. Not obstacle-diffculty wise, not gameplay wise.

'Game' first, World second!

Malcot
09-26-2016, 10:32 AM
I totally with Trial's comments about The Crew. Got it when it was a free download on Xbox One and whilst the size of the map was impressive, it felt empty and pointless. The problem is, Ubi will want to make it accessible to the casual gamer so will put these hand holding features in. The big question is, will they put in an option to turn them off for a more realistic and challenging experience?