PDA

View Full Version : It's been quite a journey (Warning, strong negativity included)

A_Fnord
09-25-2016, 12:28 PM
So the game is about a year old now. Been quite a journey, eh?

I've been a HoMM fan since HoMM 2, and while I've never considered it my all time favourite series, I liked it enough to get HoMM 7 near launch.
Version 1.0: Well, it was "playable". Not good, with loading times of over 8min, skills not working, tooltips often display faulty information, placeholder text in places, campaign objectives sometimes being broken, but at least I "could" play it.
The first patch did not do a whole lot to improve things, at least not based on my own experienced. Annoyed I decided to wait for more patches. I waited until patch 1.7.
This is where the game turned completely unplayable for me. Sure, loading times were far more reasonable, and the worst memory leaks seems to have been fixed. But now there were save file issues. The game would wipe my hero progress when loading save files.
Patch 1.8 came. Issue persisted. Save files were not safe from the little safe file eating monsters that was HoMM 7.

So I uninstalled the game and waited until patch 2.0. Now the game does not just nibble on the save files, wiping hero progression, it outright eats them. Devs say they can't replicate the problem, and I don't have any save files to send because I don't have any save files... This is a problem.
Patch 2.2 comes. People want a rollback to patch 2.1, due to the plethora of new issues introduced. No idea if it still eats save files. I just can't be bothered trying patch 2.2. Each patch has made the game less playable for me. While a lot of issues have been fixed, new issues have been introduced that just breaks the game further
HoMM 7 has now been removed from the forum listing. You can't access the Might and Magic forums from the forum browser here. A sign of things to come? When game companies do things like that, it usually means that they're about to drop support for the game. Some companies put them in "legacy" sections that can still be browsed, they just clearly indicate that these games are not receiving any further updates this way. Other require you to have a direct link to the forum.
So what does the future hold for HoMM 7? Will I ever be able to play the game I payed for or is this the end of the line for the game?

PWA-Azureye
09-25-2016, 02:21 PM
My biggest problem with this game is the issue with multiplayer not working.

Imagine what would happen if Call of Duty or Battlefield didn't have working multiplayer.... Why is Heroes different in that regard? Ubi is a big company. This is intolerable.

A_Fnord
09-25-2016, 04:45 PM
My biggest problem with this game is the issue with multiplayer not working.

Imagine what would happen if Call of Duty or Battlefield didn't have working multiplayer.... Why is Heroes different in that regard? Ubi is a big company. This is intolerable.

I've not played it in MP. After all the issues I've had with HoMM 7, I've specifically told the people I play games with that they should not get HoMM 7 until it's fixed. But I agree, MP should work, as long as they advertise it as a feature (which they do with HoMM 7).

madaosoul
09-27-2016, 12:43 AM
What system/specs do you have? Steam version?

I have Windows 8, a little above minimum requirements, an Uplay version and the game runs fine and I didn't have any problems with vanishing save files or other glaring issues since 1.8 (at least in single player campaign and scenarios, multiplayer is probably a different cup of tea).

Sure, 2.2 is a huge let-down and a major bugfest, but still there's no vanishing Hero stats or saves for me.

A_Fnord
09-28-2016, 11:08 PM
"Thanks for reporting these, they have been passed along to the team to investigate."

That's all MoshiMoshi can do.

Moshi has probably read this thread and doesn't give a flying f. and isn't going to explain anything. Just like they did since the creation of the game.
Ubisoft certainly isn't a company i'd buy something from. Ever. Again. Not a single game they launched which I played was even playable at the beginning and most of the games experience severe bugs or out of sync issues.

I won't blame Moshi for anything. Being hired as a community manager (or whatever similar position they're holding) can't be a fun job when the company you're hired by gives so many people good reasons to be angry at them. Basically, don't shoot the messenger.

Ubisoft games are so buggy that they've become joke gifts among my friends. People buy them on sale, or find cheap boxed copies. What was the last "big" game by Ubisoft that actually worked well? Their smaller games, like Valiant Hearts, can be good (I really liked the game), but they clearly don't bother enough with QA to do big games. Which reminds me of this screenshot (http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/315619020848333206/3DA56DBCC33335C2BB34F2309F97298C55F24D15/), I grabbed from Assassin's Creed 4, where the ending bugs out right when the QA team is visible in the credits. Good going there ubisoft :P (It was my playthroughs of AC3 & 4, where I uploaded most of the screenshot worthy bugs I could find on steam that made Ubisoft games become joke gifts).

What system/specs do you have? Steam version?

I have Windows 8, a little above minimum requirements, an Uplay version and the game runs fine and I didn't have any problems with vanishing save files or other glaring issues since 1.8 (at least in single player campaign and scenarios, multiplayer is probably a different cup of tea).

Sure, 2.2 is a huge let-down and a major bugfest, but still there's no vanishing Hero stats or saves for me.

Win 10, Uplay version, and I'm above recommended specs. Currently I'm not experiencing any actual performance issues with the game, so it's not that which causes my save file issues. My guess is that it has to do with the Uplay integration, considering the game uses Uplay for cloud saving. My internet connection is about as stable as it gets, with very few outages, and a solid 100/100 mbit line, so that's not the culprit either.