PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question, I'm afraid, but I need help

ACCT_00000825
09-11-2016, 03:12 AM
Hi folks. I need some help, and I'm hoping somebody can give me a hand - though, honestly, I doubt it. OK, my situation is this: I've had M&M V for roughly ever, and have played the heck out of it. I didn't even know there was a VI or a VII until a few days ago. As soon as I found out, I immediately ordered them online. My problem is this: I was "upgraded" (and I say "I was upgraded" because it wasn't my idea; Microsoft sent me a message - unfortunately while I was away for some time - informing me they were going to switch me to Windows10 unless I told them not to. Since I wasn't at my computer for a while...well, the rest is obvious; I am now, for better or worse - and I won't comment on which it is - running Windows X). Now, my M&M V runs quite fine on Windows 10, but I've discovered that M&M VII (Deluxe Edition) will not. (I'm not sure about M&M VI, since I haven't received it yet.) Is there any way I can coax M&M VII to run under Windows X? And how about M&M VI? Am I screwed with that, too? Or - and I know this particular point is not precisely about M&M, but - does anybody know a way I can fool my computer into thinking it's running Windows 8, temporarily, so I can run M&M VII?

On a related point, since it seems I've fallen behind the curve with M&M, is there something beyond M&M VII that I should know about - and that might conceivably run under Windows 10?

I'd really appreciate any help anybody might be able to give me. I was really looking forward to the new M&M games, and, well....It's a lousy disappointment.

Thanks to all, in advance.

Antalyan
09-11-2016, 02:46 PM
Hi, Welcome here :)

First of all, I hope you're speaking about Heroes of Might & Magic / Might & Magic: Heroes, because "only" Might & Magic are pretty different games - RPGs from the 20th century. I have definitely zero passion to annoy you with the names as it's something not important at all, I just want to ensure we are speaking about the same games.

Assuming you mean Might & Magic Heroes: Don't be worry, there is no restriction for Windows to prevent you from playing Heroes VI or VII. The only issue is that this (W10) OS is not officially supported as it is pretty new one, so they cannot guarantee it will be running (the same situation is with laptops - and I have been successfully playing Heroes games on a laptop for years).

If you have any troubles with some applications (Heroes games included) on Windows 10, try to run them as an administrator or in the compatibility with W7/W8 mod. I can confirm there are many people playing H6 and H7 on computers with Windows 10 so don't be worry you wouldn't be able to do so :cool:

As regards other information, this is the list of all Might & Magic games: http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/universe/en-GB/games/all-games/index.aspx
The Ashan World Book has also been released several years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVlsV2X5P4Q

The future is uncertain. Ubisoft does not support his franchise much and nothing about any future steps, except for closing Duels of Champions in Autumn, is not confirmed. The newest positive thing was the release of H7 first addon - Trial by Fire. See the tips for H7 in my signature if you are interested in some improvements for H7.

rodaff
09-11-2016, 08:02 PM
I'd really appreciate any help anybody might be able to give me. I was really looking forward to the new M&M games, and, well....It's a lousy disappointment.

The game has been a "lousy disappointment" for most of the people that bought it, so you haven't missed much lol

Antalyan
09-12-2016, 04:07 PM
The game has been a "lousy disappointment" for most of the people that bought it, so you haven't missed much lol
Being objective and much as I can, definitely not "a lousy disappointment for most of the people that bought it". Reviews from Steam are mixed for both, also many of them are from the release date without all improvements which came after.

I don't say these two games are superior (although I really love them), that's up to everyone to decide whether they like them or not.

ACCT_00000825
09-12-2016, 08:41 PM
First of all, Antalyan, I hope you understand that I was NOT talking about Heroes VII when I used the phrase "lousy disappointment". Rather, I was talking about my inability to get the game to work. And not just by the way....I appreciate your willingness to try to help me.

That said, I think I made a rather large mistake when I first posted about my problem. Being very much NOT a computer guy, I somehow assumed it was Windows 10 that was causing the problem. Having, slowly, come to realize it isn't Windows, I hope you folks might be willing to have me presume a bit further on your good nature, and restate my problem.

The problem really seems to involve the Uplay launcher. When I try to install the game, I get to the Uplay launcher screen and, invariably, I get a message that "Uplay launcher has stopped working,: (In fact, it seems never to have *started* working in the first place.) The message offers me two options, "Debug" or "Close the program." I've tried each, and still can't get the launcher to work.

So....Once again, I'm asking if anybody has any notion what's going on (and, even better, what, if anything, I can do about it). And again, I apologize for presuming further on your good natures in asking again for help.

Thanks for anything anybody can offer. I was - and, actually, still am - excited about HOMM VII, and frustrated and disappointed at where I am now, with the game, Oh, and I'm waiting for HOMM VI to turn up in my mailbox; has anybody got any ideas about whether I'm likely to have the same problem with that edition? (My HOMM V, by the way, works just fine, so I'm left wondering what they changed, that makes the newer games apparently unworkable on my machine.)[/RIGHT][/FONT]

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
09-12-2016, 09:10 PM
Hi ACCT_00000825, have you tried uninstalling the Uplay Client and reinstalling it? you can reinstall from here https://uplay.ubi.com

If after doing this you still have an issue, please contact our Support Team https://support.ubi.com including a DxDiag report and MS info so we can troubleshoot with you.

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows Key and the R Key at the same time.

2. In the box that pops up, type dxdiag and click OK.

3. Once the DxDiag file is open, click on the Save all information... button.

4. Click the Save button to save the file as a text file to your Desktop.

5. Press the Windows Key and the R Key at the same time.

6. In the Open box, delete dxdiag and type msinfo32 and click OK.

7. When the program comes up, click on File and select Save.

8. Click the Save button to save the file as an .nfo file to your Desktop.

Attach DxDiag report and MSinfo to a ticket.

Kind Regards