PDA

View Full Version : Do You Remember When You Saw The Very First Assassins Creed?

Xbox.Controller
09-03-2016, 09:52 AM
The very first Assassins Creed made me.... fall in love with Jade :P

Locopells
09-03-2016, 10:46 AM
There's been a number of threads like this, but yeah, I remember.

Standing in Sainsbury's, half asleep after an overnight flight from Kenya, I was idly browsing while the folks got food. Saw it, picked it up, thought it looked good and didn't think about it again until I read an article about the upcoming ACII...

Megas_Doux
09-03-2016, 04:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN9aaELXCXk

Of course......

ERICATHERINE
09-03-2016, 07:44 PM
When I saw and got it for the first time, I already had ac iii and ac ii. Ac iii was my very first ac game. ^-^

Black_Widow9
09-03-2016, 09:39 PM
I do. I hadn't worked here very long and it was one of the first forums I was assigned to and it had recently been released so I picked it up. My mom had gotten into a car accident and I stayed at her house to take care of her so she could recover and brought along my 360.

I remember being in absolute awe because it was so beautiful. My first viewpoint and leap of faith, I just sat there taking it in. It was amazing.

pacmanate
09-04-2016, 12:11 AM
I remember seeing my friend play it on his 360 and he just started the game with all the glitch stuff going on and i thought it looked great. I got AC1 in 2008, a year before AC2. That was a good time.

D.I.D.
09-04-2016, 01:49 AM
My first proper look at it was in Edge UK, so in print rather than in online video. It looked fascinating, and it was a genuine "new gen" moment (where it felt like standards in gaming must be turning a corner towards the way games only looked and behaved in our imaginations).

SixKeys
09-04-2016, 02:19 AM
I'm quite picky when it comes to CG graphics. Most video game trailers in 2007 didn't impress me very much and I didn't consider myself a gamer then. One day my then-boyfriend showed me a trailer he thought looked kind of interesting, the AC1 cinematic trailer (the one that plays when you start up the game). I was really impressed by the quality of the trailer, the characters all moved like actual human beings, with proper weight and subtleties in small gestures like Alta´r gentle-pushing a civilian. The assassin's face was partially hidden, so you didn't get the uncanny valley effect from looking into his eyes, the thing that usually broke the illusion for me. So it was the artistic quality that made me pay attention, secondly came the intriguing ideas like the assassin quickly and effortlessly scampering up the walls and disappearing into the crowd.

I didn't pick up the game then, but the same thing happened when AC2's trailer came out two years later. Again it was the realistic, movie-like quality that left an impression and I figured it was finally time to give these games a try. Bought AC1, was instantly hooked and the rest is history.

LoyalACFan
09-04-2016, 04:16 PM
I actually played AC2 first. I vaguely knew about AC1, but my very conservative mother wouldn't let me have it :p I was still 13ish at the time. One of my friends in early high school had a subscription to GameInformer, and we used to run off to the library during lunch to pore over the new games (how lame is that?). I remember their AC2 cover story with all of those glorious bullshots in Venice, and I was hooked. Circa 2010 I got a learner's driving permit so I could get whatever games I wanted without having to go through my parents, so I rented AC2 (because video stores still existed back in ye olden times), played it a bit, decided to rent and play through AC1 first, then went back and finished AC2. Bought both of them later, and have bought every AC game at launch ever since.

Sorrosyss
09-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Picked up the first game on a whim, as I remember the week it came out I had a friend bleating on about Templars and Freemasonry etc. So I thought it was kinda novel. I was also heavily into Doctor Who, so the whole time travel like Animus got me hooked from the title screen. The rest is, as they say, history. Unless you're Abstergo.

ze_topazio
09-05-2016, 12:14 AM
I've been more or less a dedicated gamer since my early teens, following all the news I could, first with magazines and later on the internet, since I follow the gaming news daily, I've been aware of AC since the beginning, since the first rumors or announcement, I no longer remember what came first, the game was highly hyped back then, made by the Prince of Persia guy, the game looked really promising, I don't really remember well what exactly I saw first but the oldest thing I remember is this trailer Mega posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN9aaELXCXk

Of course......

The version I saw back then was spoken in French though.

After that I remember many things, the game being supposedly a PS3 exclusive, then in one event turning out the game was running on the Xbox 360, leaving the PS fanboys furious and the Xbox fanboys celebrating that the PS fanboys were angry.
The claims the that combat system was the most realistic thing ever, one hit was enough to die.
The animus menu appearing by mistake in one event, revealing that the game was sci-fi after all.
The rumors that Altair was a time traveler.
The many demos full of bugs.
And finally the game being released leaving people disappointed with its many bugs (funny, by today's standards AC1 would be considered super polished), repetitiveness, Altair having the personality of a board, the boring combat system, the empty and bland open world, etc... (notice these are not necessarily my opinions, just what people were saying back then)

extra: AC2 who is so praised right now, when it was announced people were like "really, they're making a sequel for that terrible game, lol, this is going to be another failure, why bother".

joshoolhorst
09-05-2016, 05:46 PM
I remember an friend of my playing AC2 thought it was fun, bought it later and started the game up and as soon I found out the Animus existed ''what the hell a device named the Animus which let me expierence my ancestor and Eagle Vision ... I ****ING LOVE THIS''

Sickboy7979
09-06-2016, 01:08 AM
I remember watching the review on G4. Either on X-Play or Judgement Day. At the time, I wasn't interested. Oh how wrong I was!

Namikaze_17
09-06-2016, 01:42 AM
Mine was actually before I was a fan when I saw it on my friend's TV showing one of its promotional trailers ( can't remember which though).

"That looks cool."
"Yeah... I guess."

cawatrooper9
09-07-2016, 04:55 PM
I was really excited about the original game- the climbing in particular really caught my interest. Watched a lot of videos on this newish site called "YouTube." I remember there were really cool trailers, too.

I didn't get the game until December 30th of that year (most of my Christmas list was made up of the original Rock Band and peripherals). I really liked it, but I was really thrown by a loop with the whole MD stuff. I hadn't expected it at all, thought that the game was just a historical game set in the Crusades.

Started working as a lifeguard right around the same time. I remember thinking how synchronizing was so similar to scanning the water.

Had trouble realizing how to unlock districts. Got pretty frustrated wit that.

Eventually got to Arsuf, but had a glitch where a second Altair appeared, making it pretty much impossible for me to finish the game. I got frustrated and quit. Didn't pick it up again until about 2 years later on Halloween 2009, to prepare for AC2. I heard a rumor that the MD sections of AC1 would carry over to the next game, so I figured I'd better catch up on that. :p

Needless to say, if the MD stuff threw me for a loop originally, I was not at all prepared for the end of the game...

Locopells
09-07-2016, 06:11 PM
What. The. F***?!

That just about summed it up...

cawatrooper9
09-07-2016, 07:11 PM
What. The. F***?!

That just about summed it up...

Yup, that was pretty much my reaction. And, back then, not really in a good way. But the MD and First Civ stuff eventually won me over.

That's why I'm a little worried about the AC movie. I think the MD stuff is clear enough from the trailers, but I don't know how much nongamers know about the series. Someone expecting to see a historical thriller with a sort of time travel plot (trying to get into the head of a new-to-the-series moviegoer) might be able to accept the sci-fi MD stuff. But the POEs and First Civ? I don't know how people are gonna react to that.

Sigma 1313
09-09-2016, 10:13 PM
Yeah. I got my xbox 360 in 2008 after saving my money for months. I eventually bought my 360 for $200 and it came with a 20 gig hard drive, a controller, guitar hero controller, guitar hero, beowulf, Forza, and Assassin's Creed. My mum let me play Assassin's Creed, so because I was intrigued by it, I popped it in immediately. Despite the old profile, I started a new game, and began playing. I was so amazed by it. I ended up just running around killing guards for 2 hours. The next day I made a new profile and began playing through it. Today I have about 30 playthroughs on it and it remains one of my favorite series.

naumaan
09-14-2016, 06:09 AM
yeah .. assassins creed 1 .. that was kind of a gameplay trailer for me, my friend had a copy of it and he showed me what an interesting game it is, my pc was not able to handle it so i brushed it off without checking, however after a long time when there was very little time in ac brotherhood release, i happen to see ac 2 trailer, that got me hooked, the story of desmond and it getting forward to an interesting plot, the next thing i know, I ve bought a good rig just for ac1 .. and ended it and after that went through ac2 and ended it too .. and after that there were 12 days left in ac brotherhood ... and swear to God I was hooked ... later this sequence stopped at unity because of an under powered pc, ... it seems now is also the same time, once I ll get myself geared up .. I ll go through everything that I missed from a while now .... may be i shift from a pc to console for that matter.

Dieinthedark
09-14-2016, 06:38 AM
I got hooked on AC1 shortly after the release. I was at my buddy's house and he was showing me the game, I thought it looked pretty cool but he was just free roaming. When he let me play it and told me I could, "go basically anywhere" I was intrigued. That's what hooked me, I'd never seen free running/climbing/animations done to that degree. As I was just starting my programming courses in college I was amazed at thinking of how to program each and every little handhold too. Needless to say, I picked up a copy and then I fell in love with the story, the atmosphere, the time period, Altair's changing character, and even to this day, I still personally consider AC1 to be the highlight of the franchise.