PDA

View Full Version : pre-beta list of small things to improve in the game

TrialsFusioniot
08-28-2016, 01:29 PM
Want to start a little pre-beta list with things that struck my eye. Beta might be too close to release to give any feedback.

+ White Icy Conifer Trees have all white icy branches down to the last needle, but pitch black trunk with no ice at all

+ Ultra Natural Kickers do not have snow tesselation from skies, boards etc.. Right now the players lower legs just disappear in the powder on the kickers with no any visual feedback

+ Snowboard bindings highbacks are basically not used by character. You just rotate the character around center pivot without changing the leg animations when turning. In real life, the highbacks support the legs most of the time, but especially when backside turning you lean into them.

+ in additon to above: maybe add more animation to the character (legs) when turning on the snowboard. Right now, it looks a bit like a statue pivoting to left/right. Especially the legs with a knee angle just remain unchanged.

+ Halfpipes and Park Kickers do not have marks on them from previous rides, look like brand new waiting for first trail.

+ no wind in tree branches, even with visual wind blows

+ no tree trunk transition into snow on some of the trunk materials, but instead an ultrasharp polygon cut line. Those trees look very artificial.

Fruitarian
08-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Yeah I'm hoping they do some work on the trees too :rolleyes:

They're a big part of an otherwise empty landscape.

I'd like to see as you say, more blending, some subtle movement from winds, some reaction and snowfall when you impact, a bit more variety.. and then some fallen ones!

Trees Trees Trees!! Not many games where they're so influential.

TrialsFusioniot
08-28-2016, 06:00 PM
About the snowboarding highback point, I think the characters have simply too much ankle range.
Like the impossible ankle angle in the screenie.
When turning left right, the knee/ankle stay just like that. The highback is pretty much ignored all the time. Snowboards need highbacks, you know, they are there for a reason :p
Hopefully they do some more work on that until release. It is like playing the ball with your hands in Fifa in terms of authentic sports.

http://i.imgur.com/UMiiQ9m.jpg

XmjX92
08-30-2016, 03:45 PM
Want to start a little pre-beta list with things that struck my eye. Beta might be too close to release to give any feedback.

+ White Icy Conifer Trees have all white icy branches down to the last needle, but pitch black trunk with no ice at all

+ Ultra Natural Kickers do not have snow tesselation from skies, boards etc.. Right now the players lower legs just disappear in the powder on the kickers with no any visual feedback

+ Snowboard bindings highbacks are basically not used by character. You just rotate the character around center pivot without changing the leg animations when turning. In real life, the highbacks support the legs most of the time, but especially when backside turning you lean into them.

+ in additon to above: maybe add more animation to the character (legs) when turning on the snowboard. Right now, it looks a bit like a statue pivoting to left/right. Especially the legs with a knee angle just remain unchanged.

+ Halfpipes and Park Kickers do not have marks on them from previous rides, look like brand new waiting for first trail.

+ no wind in tree branches, even with visual wind blows

+ no tree trunk transition into snow on some of the trunk materials, but instead an ultrasharp polygon cut line. Those trees look very artificial.

The lack of trails/tessellation on ramps and kickers is hard to look over. The pop-in is just plain bad, in one video a house just popped out of nowhere in front of the player and it was only a few feet away.
Plus I can't be the only one not liking those big snow chunks coming from under the snowboards, they could be a little smaller. The game is looking awesome but it needs so much polishing.

UbiSkyBear
08-30-2016, 08:55 PM
Amazing feedback, everyone!

I'll be sure to share this with the team. :)

Fruitarian
08-30-2016, 09:19 PM
The lack of trails/tessellation on ramps and kickers is hard to look over. The pop-in is just plain bad, in one video a house just popped out of nowhere in front of the player and it was only a few feet away.
Plus I can't be the only one not liking those big snow chunks coming from under the snowboards, they could be a little smaller. The game is looking awesome but it needs so much polishing.

I'm sure the ramps will be sorted out, and the pop-in optimised. That seems to be improving with the builds.

As for the chunks that's a new effect. It improves the too clean cut deformation they had before, adds more life and natural physics to the snow.. but I think it's a bit overboard the spray now. Needs to be more of a fan of spray, not little bricks tumbling. I hope they can nail the right combination of effects to make our curves through the snow feel light and dynamic.

TrialsFusioniot
08-31-2016, 06:41 AM
Another one:

+ Despite of the nice landing animations, right now the boarders still lack weight a little bit when landing. This might be easily solved by camera work when landing to reflect how you get hammered in real life after a landing. Maybe have the camera's up/down direction look at the center of weight when landing, that would automatically 'hammer' the camera a bit into the ground, like you get hammered when landing in real life. Right now the camera seems to look statically at the player capsule, giving the impression that the character does his landing movement exercise in a zero gravity test environment.

Fruitarian
08-31-2016, 09:27 AM
Yeah I was thinking that too.. it might just be POV and camera wobble effects they need rather than tinkering with the animations. I remember when Need for Speed was reinvented.. the first time :rolleyes:.. and people were astonished by the sense of speeed and impact. It was all just POV effects on the camera, albeit beautifully executed.

Might be good to see if you go into a tuck and really fast the camera tightens up and loses focus at the edge. Likewise the longer the air the greater the impact shift on the assumed camera lens.

TrialsFusioniot
08-31-2016, 12:36 PM
I really think coupling the camera look-at-point to the center of weight or center of geometry of the character during the landing impact would already reflect the 'down punch' that you experience in real life. Maybe not 100%, but with some weighting compared to the normal look-at-point.
Only the vertical camera component, i.e. up/down, to avoid messy movements. And only during landings of course, otherwise the camera jitters constantly.
I experienced the difference first hand when did my PhysX tech-demo/game. It makes a big difference to the overall feel of the motion.
http://www.bluebudgiestudios.com/r-c-bot-inc/ (shameless self advertising from a huge how-it-moves fan, please remove if inappropriate!)

Amped 3 looks like it uses something like this technique if you watch some gameplay videos. Camera look-at point always moves down a bit when landing. Although a bit over the top.

h4mmer1te
08-31-2016, 11:56 PM
Amazing feedback, everyone!

I'll be sure to share this with the team. :)

THANK YOU for YOUR HARD WORK! I HOPE THE TEAM IS REWARDED FOR AWESOMENESS!!!

3 KEY INGREDIENTS Ubisoft has Taught Us:

RESEARCH COUNTS: Believable Weight, Timing and Embellished Physics - From Big Air, Hang Time, Rollers, Carving, to Knee Direction and Casing it on the Knuckle, Dropping down Pillows and Approaching too Fast - We want to feel Alive, See our Characters Re-corrective Action, Drift, Launch, Pop and Bounce!

CHARACTERISTICS OF ACTIONS ENHANCE GAME-PLAY: Body Pre-coil, Effects of Wind Direction, the Intricate Slice of Buttery Edge Control, Anticipating a Gap, Speed Checking, the Speed Wobbles, gettings Stoked on a Landing... To see All of These with that Smooth In-between Animation linking All Actions - Keep Pushing the Realism!!

INTERACTIVE ENVIRONMENTS IMMERSE US: True to the subject matter - Frozen glades, Deep Pow Pow, even Icicles, Pebbles and Shards of Bark - Do We Get to Wax Our Skis!?

Please Continue to Share! We will continue to be Excited!!!

PS.
Also I hope the game continues to give us opportunities to: Unlock Skills with Achievements that Change Our Game-play, Showcase a Variety of Nuances of (Character) Style - and REALLY want to see an AUTHENTIC Array of Technical Features and Elements (JIB and KICKER) elements alongside GEAR and SPONSORS!!!!

TrialsFusioniot
09-03-2016, 10:56 AM
+ Another one: The LODs of the red circled trees do not match! LOD 1 is black/white tree, LOD 0 is white. The trees turn from half-winter to winter with LOD switch. I noticed them before in other videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGOu-raM25k (at 3:53min)

http://i.imgur.com/915XfW2.jpg

TrialsFusioniot
09-15-2016, 10:50 AM
Here is another one

+ have an option to hide other players when playing single player to not break immersion.

I just downloaded The Crew for free! Really great! But the one thing that really makes it hard for me to immerse myself when cruising around are the symbols from other players floating around on the screen. I actually crashed into a wall once, because suddenly there were like 5 symbols with names shooting around the center of the screen. That would be a bummer for us escapist mountain lovers in Steep who just want to leave everything behind and go to Mont Blanc Summit.

TrialsFusioniot
09-25-2016, 05:33 PM
Can we have the Tinnitus effect to be optional. At this volume and how frequently it appears it is completely unnerving. There is this very recent video on youtube, and the Tinnitus noise every time the G-Force meter goes down is absolute torture. I have crashed so often with various vehicles and boards, never had this noise actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMGFcFPo4WE