PDA

View Full Version : Scenario Question. How would you want it handled.

yote224
07-30-2016, 10:58 AM
We all come from a plethora of different gaming experiences but I'm sure at one point or another we've all had to deal with (or could possibly be guilty of being) THAT guy.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen I'm talking about "The Dropper". Be they on our team, our opposition's, or even ourselves (for varying reasons) it's a player that can ruin the gaming experience for all involved. So I come to you while the information isn't confirmed to get your take on a few scenarios as I'm interested to hear how you'd like to have the situation handled.

As we've seen from footage or experienced ourselves a match of Dominion can last upwards of 15 minutes which may not seem like much to everyone it can be quite a bit of commitment for others. SO! We find ourselves in a game of Dominion and 10 minutes in you see a teammate losing his cool with another teammate. For one reason or another things have escalated and you see the flustered teammate drop from the game, via quitting(if that's a thing), disconnecting, or AFKing. For the sake of this scenario we'll just leave it at "drop" because hey, actual disconnects happen, ragers are a thing, and poor sports exist too. So guy drops from a game. How would you want this handled?

Do you wish for there to be a reporting system that has checkboxes for poor behavior, language, unsportsmanlike conduct, AFK, etc?
Do you want there to be some penalty for intentionally leaving mid-match? If so, what? Que penalty? Reputation?
As for the ongoing match, how do you handle the balance of the now 4v3? Insert a Computer controlled character? Have the ability to let another player join mid match?

I'd love to hear your opinions and feelings on the subject because hate it as we may, it's the reality we live in.

coma987
07-30-2016, 11:49 AM
If in casual I feel like if you quit there should be no penalty, although if you are on the losing team and for example you have 3 people, I feel like it should not count as a loss. However I feel if that is not the case then it should let players connect mid match and if you are the person that connected to the losing team at the end of the match, your stats should not be recorded as it would be hard for your team to make a comeback as some a$$hole quit.

In ranked however there should be heavy consequences, like a timeout for a week if you quit too many times and stuff like that.

mynameistool
07-30-2016, 12:44 PM
maybe something like the deserter debuff from wow if you leave you have to wait untill you can queue for that activity again

MisterWillow
07-30-2016, 05:14 PM
If in casual I feel like if you quit there should be no penalty

I think there should be a distinction, if possible, to register a disconnect vs. a quit. Like, you shouldn't be punished if the server craps out on you, but if you access the menu, select 'quit match' press A (or whatever) when the message 'are you sure you want to quit the match' pops up, then yes, there should absolutely be some sort of penalty.

although if you are on the losing team and for example you have 3 people, I feel like it should not count as a loss.

Depends on how good the AI actually is in the final release. Someone mentioned earlier (will search and edit in link if found) that the bots in the previous Alpha gave players a run for their money.

If that's the case on release, you might be more handicapped with actual players on your team. :p

However I feel if that is not the case then it should let players connect mid match and if you are the person that connected to the losing team at the end of the match, your stats should not be recorded as it would be hard for your team to make a comeback as some a$$hole quit.

Agreed.

premiumart
07-30-2016, 06:01 PM
I think there should be a distinction, if possible, to register a disconnect vs. a quit. Like, you shouldn't be punished if the server craps out on you, but if you access the menu, select 'quit match' press A (or whatever) when the message 'are you sure you want to quit the match' pops up, then yes, there should absolutely be some sort of penalty.

How the hell is that gonna work ? Also the conneciotns can also crap out on your side aswell so how would you know if it was a quit ? I love playing games and could play like all day but there still might be a life some people have so yeah sometimes you have to go afk because something happens and you have to react to it in the physical world.

Also if there is a punishment, if you rage you would probably not give a **** about that but if you arent responsible for the connection loss, that would suck.

Dead1y-Derri
07-30-2016, 10:21 PM
How the hell is that gonna work ? Also the conneciotns can also crap out on your side aswell so how would you know if it was a quit ? I love playing games and could play like all day but there still might be a life some people have so yeah sometimes you have to go afk because something happens and you have to react to it in the physical world.

Also if there is a punishment, if you rage you would probably not give a **** about that but if you arent responsible for the connection loss, that would suck.

Interestingly enough, Call of Duty Black Ops 2 had a probation system where if you did leave too many games within a short period of time, you'd get warnings pop up, then like a 15 minute ban that could stretch up to like an hour or something and you had to not quit games for awhile before you'd be taken off of it. While you did hear stories of players being wrongly punished, it wasn't like it happened often but usually they did back out of games but justified it to themselves in other ways.

It probably didn't deter that many people but it did do it for some die hard fans and those are the people who do try and manipulate stats etc.

I think dropping should be punished by a loss added to your stat record no XP awarded unless it was a disconnect via server/internet issue.

I also think if you drop in after say a time limit has passed of 'X' minutes then you shouldn't be awarded a win or a loss but obviously if you do win get an XP bonus or whatever, just nothing official added to your stats.

xDarkMACx
07-31-2016, 12:06 AM
I think this is a terrible idea and would not want it implementated. From my experience, players like options. Anytime options get limited, there is probably less people that would play it compared to having a variety of options.

If I join any group and I'm not having fun in the group, then why would I not leave? I shouldn't get penalized if I leave a group that I don't like. Sure, I've had a person leave my group and I just adapt to finish the mission/dungeon. I didn't like it, but a person's options should not be limited. If playing a game for a certain goal, then that should be stated before you start the game so the person can decide if they wish to stay or not. Like if a player doesn't care about the goal your going for then why should they be forced to stay and complete a game for something they don't care about? Plus,it's a game, there might be something that happens in real life that's more important and that person who leaves doesn't want to stand there in a game inactive....that would be unfair to the other people.

A better idea would be to have the ability to match make while in a game if someone leaves.

MisterWillow
07-31-2016, 09:42 AM

The reason I added the word 'if possible' was because I have no idea if it would work or not.

How I imagine it working is that the game pays attention to what menus you're accessing (pause screen, options menus, etc.) and registers the options you select---the way it registers and saves changes made in the settings (changes in sensitivity, subtitles, etc.)---and if you're in a match and select the option to quit the match, it would register in that way and strike you with some sort of penalty, but if it fails to register those selections (i.e. you never paused, because the server hiccuped and kicked you) then no penalty is suffered. I just don't know if that's possible.

As for the penalty itself, they could do what Mechwarrior Online does and lock the character you were using in the match you left until that match is over.

Ymir.exe
07-31-2016, 11:22 AM
There should be punishment for dropping out mid-game. It's a team based game, so not everything is about you and what you want. If you drop out mid-game you're screwing over everyone else on your team. If you join a game you should stick with it until the game is over.

There are plenty of games that uses systems where your quitting, or teamkilling, accumulates over time, and when you've done it enough times within a certain timeframe, you get a punishment. A 2 hour ban, for instance. Then there's a mark on your account for a while, whereby if you keep doing the same thing again, next time it'll be a 12 hour ban and another mark added, and then a 24 hour ban and a third mark, a 3 day ban, and then a month ban. These marks gradually go away if you stop quitting, or teamkilling, or whatever, so it only harshly affects people who consistently and repeatedly break the rules.

And it's unfortunate, but a random disconnect should count the same as quitting. Because if it doesn't, people simply won't quit, they'll ctrl+shift+esc and just end the process, which works as a quit but counts as a disconnect. Sucks if you accidentally crash, but as long as you don't keep crashing over and over and over and over, you won't actually get punished for it, so it's really not a big deal.

Another idea for an incentive to keep people from quitting is a counter that others could see. Like a K/D ratio, you can include mid-game disconnects there as well. That way people can see that you're the kind of person who keeps quitting mid-game and judge you for it. Would be great to have one for teamkills as well. That way you can tell if a person is a ****head or a decent player.

Also it goes without saying that quitting mid-game should null any and all experience rewards for that game. No kills, no points, and add one death to their stats, to prevent the kind of player who quits because he's about to die and doesn't want his KDR affected.

ksatnodesaelp
07-31-2016, 10:05 PM
I have to agree with Waraidako, if some one disconnects in the middle of a game it still needs to count as a loss for the whole team, otherwise people will have some one on their team DC out of it just to avoid losing, maybe even going so far as to spoof accounts to avoid any punishment that might be specific to the person who DCs.

premiumart
08-01-2016, 09:14 AM
The reason I added the word 'if possible' was because I have no idea if it would work or not.

How I imagine it working is that the game pays attention to what menus you're accessing (pause screen, options menus, etc.) and registers the options you select---the way it registers and saves changes made in the settings (changes in sensitivity, subtitles, etc.)---and if you're in a match and select the option to quit the match, it would register in that way and strike you with some sort of penalty, but if it fails to register those selections (i.e. you never paused, because the server hiccuped and kicked you) then no penalty is suffered. I just don't know if that's possible.

As for the penalty itself, they could do what Mechwarrior Online does and lock the character you were using in the match you left until that match is over.

When someone rage quits he probably does not select "quit match" in the menu though, alt f4, console power button. I dont think that such a feature would change anything, cause if someone rage quits, he quits and does probably not care about a little ban even.

Srsly if someone leaves thats not nice for you but cope with it thats life, sorry. Sadly absolute security does not exist.

MisterWillow
08-01-2016, 01:19 PM
When someone rage quits he probably does not select "quit match" in the menu though, alt f4, console power button. I dont think that such a feature would change anything, cause if someone rage quits, he quits and does probably not care about a little ban even.

I guess so. I still think penalties (even the modest one I proposed) would deter some people from quitting.

Srsly if someone leaves thats not nice for you but cope with it thats life, sorry. Sadly absolute security does not exist.

I usually don't get mad at people who quit out, honestly.

One of the few times it happened was a Rush map in Battlefield 3, we got to the last bit of objectives, got one down, and the defenders really dug in, started corner, camping doorways, etc. I was like 'Okay, I'll just check my corners more, be really careful' and after a while, I noticed I would turn a corner and run into literally their entire team, and started wondering how a large group like that could be in one spot and nobody from our team could sneak around the another way and get to the objective. Checked the scoreboard and all but 3 of us had quit on our side.

Of course, in For Honor, one person quitting is literally a fourth of your team, so that comparison is a bit unfair. But on the other hand, the AI could compensate for a player not being there, if they're good enough.

BudBro49
08-02-2016, 10:00 AM
I believe there should be a 3 minute "Restart Match?" Option, people say "Yes" or "No". If they say yes, then the game restarts and finds a new player, no troubles. (The player who left obviously still gets punished.) Players on the opposing team who have all players do not get to vote to restart the match, as they are not the team missing a player. After 3 minutes, if the player had not reconnected or taken back his place, or a vote has been made to restart the game, you can always start a surrender vote.

Those who leave/disconnect in rank, regardless of reason (i.e. Disconnects from session with intent or not) should be punished. I think banning them from ranked and ranked only would be the right thing to do, so long as the players only gripe is his/her disconnection issue. I also think there should be a disconnect statistic, showing how often you disconnect from matches, or just something in general that makes you stick out.

As for people who play normal's, no consequences should happen to those who are casually playing the game, as those players can always be replaced by other players searching for a game mid game, as they don't really need to restart the match, its just for fun. The entire point of it being casual is that you can pick up, play a little, and put it down. Some people just don't have time to devote to a full match regardless of how much time it consumes.
I just DO NOT want to see a "Search for player" option in ranked, if a player drops, the game should be dropped altogether as well, restart and reformed with individuals who start the game from the very beginning... I think ranked should only count or be recorded if all players are present the entire duration of the game, from game lobby to end of game lobby. Sorta treat ranked like if you were going to put everyone up on stage and have the world watch them.. You wouldn't start the match or continue it if everyone wasn't there or capable of playing.

JustDenDimi
08-02-2016, 06:04 PM
First a big *** window saying you did something wrong (whatever it may be, leaving, afk, being reported a few times) and after that maybe a cooldown or something of that sort. But certainly not a permanent ban, that just drives your player base away. Of course the cooldown time or whatever mat increase each time.

handheld brando
08-02-2016, 06:10 PM
I think this is a terrible idea and would not want it implementated. From my experience, players like options. Anytime options get limited, there is probably less people that would play it compared to having a variety of options.

If I join any group and I'm not having fun in the group, then why would I not leave? I shouldn't get penalized if I leave a group that I don't like. Sure, I've had a person leave my group and I just adapt to finish the mission/dungeon. I didn't like it, but a person's options should not be limited. If playing a game for a certain goal, then that should be stated before you start the game so the person can decide if they wish to stay or not. Like if a player doesn't care about the goal your going for then why should they be forced to stay and complete a game for something they don't care about? Plus,it's a game, there might be something that happens in real life that's more important and that person who leaves doesn't want to stand there in a game inactive....that would be unfair to the other people.

A better idea would be to have the ability to match make while in a game if someone leaves.

It doesn't matter why you leave a group if you leave it you should be punished unless its for something thats out of your control like a power outage or your internet or the server going down. But if you intentionally leave a game and ruin it for the other people regardless of how much fun you are or are not having then you deserve to be punished for ruining the game for other people. If you don't like the team you are playing with then fine i get that but guess what maybe I don't like the team either but i won't leave the team I am in just because i don't like them.

Your train of thought is exactly why we need punishments for leavers in games.

Willaguy2010
08-02-2016, 06:18 PM
Perhaps there should be discrimination between players who leave "ranked" matches and players who leave "unranked" or social matches. That's assuming of course that there are such game modes, but in my opinion more relaxed game modes like a social or unranked one should have a more lenient stance towards quitters.