PDA

View Full Version : Campaign question

03-16-2004, 12:39 AM
What is up with the AI in the campaign? On the first mission of Russian fighter campaign, I managed to get a kill. I get the message that the mission is over, and that we should proceed to the airbase. I manage to land, park next to the reservoirs, turn off the engine, and wait. I thought that the mission was over. And then number 1 (I was number 7) lands, taxis, and on parking slams right into me and kills me???? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif There were some enemy planes in the air that just arrived, but everybody else was also landing and not paying attention. Ok if we had to wait for he attack to pass, but the idiot that rammed into me while I'm parked?!? What's the deal?

03-16-2004, 12:39 AM
What is up with the AI in the campaign? On the first mission of Russian fighter campaign, I managed to get a kill. I get the message that the mission is over, and that we should proceed to the airbase. I manage to land, park next to the reservoirs, turn off the engine, and wait. I thought that the mission was over. And then number 1 (I was number 7) lands, taxis, and on parking slams right into me and kills me???? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif There were some enemy planes in the air that just arrived, but everybody else was also landing and not paying attention. Ok if we had to wait for he attack to pass, but the idiot that rammed into me while I'm parked?!? What's the deal?

Samuel5093
03-16-2004, 01:07 AM
Did you happen to stand on the parkink space of your leader? It must be that!! Park somewhere els

03-16-2004, 01:11 AM
How am I supposed to know which parking space is his and which one is mine? It doesn't say anywhere that I have to park in the specific spot, nor that the spots are marked or anything similar. Not in any of the tutorials, not in the manual, nowhere.

What is up with ther punitive nature of this game? I worked very hard to get everything right, as I am still new, and then this???

arcadeace
03-16-2004, 01:20 AM
Relax. Find a spot to park and then end the mission. Click apply and go on to the next. I haven't experienced any crashing into me but the AI is not perfect.

Huxley_S
03-16-2004, 04:00 AM
Yeah... there is no need to wait for the other A/C to land... just end the mission once you've landed and this will avoid this "feature".

FB Music and Campaigns @
http://www.onemorewild.org/huxley

Samuel5093
03-16-2004, 05:06 AM
Ok and if you really want to do it the right way. You normally land the way you take of, if you're number 4, you fourth(if everyone makes it back of course) Since this could take a lot of passes it's maybe a waste of time! I'm just saying it. Or if you're really shot up, you can of course land immediatly ( or crash!) Have fun!!

SeaFireLIV
03-16-2004, 05:29 AM
I never go to the parking slot of the runway now, because the AI is blind on landing. I usually park just OFF the runway, or near the parking spot. This way I can watch other aircraft. But often, once I`ve landed and there`s no more fighting I`ll quit to the next mission.

SeaFireLIV...

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/storm.jpg
Soon... Very soon....

MajorBloodnok
03-16-2004, 06:01 AM
There's a bug in the AI that the original IL2 Sturmovik did not have, i.e. that the AI are somewhat blind to other A/C once they've landed. I once watched my whole flight taxi in turn into a stationary aircraft. The mission up to then succesful, by the time they'd finished it had failed.

Oleg has put in a work around for this phenomenon so that the AI A/C disappear after a few minutes once they have landed, so that other A/C don't taxi into them. It's annoying and reduces the emersion. As I said the original IL2 did not have this problem, it's only in IL2:FB.

cheers

------------------------------
Founder Member and Official Sporran Wearer of the EuroTrolls
Spouting evil commie brain-rot at, er, well Imperialists mainly, since like 1977, you know, when Star Wars came out?

Malik_VII
03-16-2004, 11:19 AM
This reminds me of a mission I built with a bunch of B-17 and P-51.
When I landed I busted the gear off and was stuck in the middle of the runway. So I sat back and waited to see what the other planes will do.
Well the first B-17 to land hit my plane and ripped off his wing. He yells "I'm taking hits" the whole crew bails out after the pilot floors it and I watch as the plane starts to turn and crashes into a forest. LOL After I watched the 2nd one do the same thing I quit and couldn't stop laughing.

mortoma
03-16-2004, 04:33 PM
I found an easy anwser for this problem a long time ago. Simply park back at the rear of the parking area, where camo nets would be if the airfield has camo nets. Or perhaps refrain from even parking your plane there at all, but park in the rough grass somewhere. But it's a fact that the AI planes will park only in the first, ( closest to the taxiway ) part of any parking area. They pull off of the taxiway, brake and kill their engines almost immediately. Never will they go more than half way into them on the grassfields. On the concrete fields, sometimes they will park smack in the middle of the big expansive ones, so just park way, way back. You should have no more problems.

03-17-2004, 01:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MajorBloodnok:

Oleg has put in a work around for this phenomenon so that the AI A/C disappear after a few minutes once they have landed, so that other A/C don't taxi into them.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what got me confused in the first place - I was waiting for my plane to disappear as well and to get some kind of "mission successful" screen, since this was the first time ever I actually managed to survive and land in a mission. I was too afraid to hit the quit button since I thought that would mean I failed (quitting before the end). Thanks to everyone for the tips, though. I've managed to complete several missions since then, and it's going much better since I've had this figured out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mortoma:
I found an easy anwser for this problem a long time ago. Simply park back at the rear of the parking area, where camo nets would be if the airfield has camo nets. Or perhaps refrain from even parking your plane there at all, but park in the rough grass somewhere. But it's a fact that the AI planes will park only in the first, ( closest to the taxiway ) part of any parking area. They pull off of the taxiway, brake and kill their engines almost immediately. Never will they go more than half way into them on the grassfields. On the concrete fields, sometimes they will park smack in the middle of the big expansive ones, so just park way, way back. You should have no more problems.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something similar is what I did the second time around. I parked at the edge of the parking lot, with engine on and hand on the throttle, ready to evade any more reckless drivers. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif