PDA

View Full Version : How could Butch O'hare not get lost over the ocean?

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 08:43 AM
How do I navigate in realistic mode?

Is there a way to crouch down to see the compass in my IL-2?
How am I supposed to know how long i fly in one direction?
How do I plot my chart?
I notice german planes have a radio compass, can i change the waypoint?
How was it done without getting lost in real life?

Thanks in advance,
-The Chad

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 08:43 AM
How do I navigate in realistic mode?

Is there a way to crouch down to see the compass in my IL-2?
How am I supposed to know how long i fly in one direction?
How do I plot my chart?
I notice german planes have a radio compass, can i change the waypoint?
How was it done without getting lost in real life?

Thanks in advance,
-The Chad

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Hi Chad

if you care for the real life answers - look here:
http://www.icaghq.com/icaghq/Flight%20School/advanced/Navigation/navigation.html

Yes it is an Air Force Manual - the corresponding NAVY manual covers ship interception as well.

If you look for printeble maps with the ingame grid coding - a few are available here: http://www.icaghq.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=380
The rest will come soon.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Snip

Remember that the first law of motion is to look where you're going. A man with a stiff neck has no place in an airplane.
TM 1-210, Elementary Flying, US AAC, 1942

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 09:30 AM
ChicagoChad wrote:
- How do I navigate in realistic mode?
-
- Is there a way to crouch down to see the compass in
- my IL-2?

VVS a/c mostly have a idiotic gauge layout, some instruments are badly or not see. For training try the 109 with an easy layout and easy to see instruments.

- How am I supposed to know how long i fly in one
- direction?

In every cockpit you'll find a clock. Look when you started to fly in an specific direction. The clocks running real time.

- How do I plot my chart?

There's a key "M" - toggle Map. But you can set that to your gusto.

- I notice german planes have a radio compass, can i
- change the waypoint?

Changing? No, you can't change, but you can command "next waypoint" to your wingmen while flying an online or offline mission.

- How was it done without getting lost in real life?

That happened many times in real life. "Combat" losses in real life occured also by got lost in unknown terrain.

http://www.geocities.com/kimurakai/SIG/sig2.jpg

"Kimura, tu as une tĂÂȘte carrĂ©e comme un sale boche!"

EJGr.Ost Kimura

http://www.jagdgruppe-ost.de/image/ejgrost.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the posts guys,

Distance is speed x time, where can I find out the distance of my waypoints / targets?

-I'll have to jam the stick back hard in order to see the compass in the IL-2.

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 07:09 PM
Keep it simple. Use the in-game map frequently (M Key) and dead recogning. Before you get bogged down with lamenated maps, grease pencils, compasses, and saxton - stick with the in-game map. The addition of the x-y coordinates (a-z along the x axis, 1-20 along the y axis) really helps in coop when you want to navigate.

The first thing to do is maintain good altitude to give you anice lay of the land. You want to be high enough to see layout of rivers, roads and town and use what you see to compare it with your in-game minimap. To low, and you'll loose perspective. As you fly, you can even use your mouse to point to your current position relative to the in-game map. Providing you don't move your mouse or the map, the next time you bring up your map, your cursor will still be pointing at the same spot you left off at. I use this method exclusively to navigate in full real servers. Works great. The only map I can't navigate for jack is Finland. The other maps are good in that they're not too busy and natural landmarks are recongizable based on in-game mini map. The other thing to fine tune is the zoom level of the in game mini map. You want it just zoomed enough to see the minor town but not too zoomed. YOu'll have to scroll the mini map as you progess through your way points.

The other part thaty will help is you fly the same area over and over again. This by far is the single biggest factor in getting comfy with navigating in full real. stubby

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 07:26 PM
All I need to know is three things:
1) Is there any way to see what direction you are heading in the sturmovik without looking at your white icon?
2)How do I get rid of the white icon on my map, or even waypoints?
3)How can I determine the distance(km) of my waypoint / target?
Everything else I would like to figure out just like "they" did.

-The Chad

The Navy Manual was very helpful.

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 08:07 PM
1) compass will tell you direction you're flying. most full real servers you wont see your white icon on the mini map.

2) to get rid of white icon on mini map, there's a mission difficult button called 'no minimap icon' or somethingl that. Toggle it and you lose both waypoint and AWAC plane icon.

3) waypoints in full real have to studied prior to launch in the 'brief' room because when mission launches, all that info is lost. There are different zoom levels to view map. Farthest zoom level the grids are 10KM squares. Fully zoomed in the grids are 1KM. If you got the game setup in full real, you'll lose AWAC icon and waypoints. Because of this you'll have to not the grid of your mission objective OR lamenate a map and grease pencil in mission waypoints and keep tabs of flight once games start.

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 10:45 PM
My point is when you are in the 1941 USSR IL-2 Sturmovik plane, the gun sight is in the way of the compass. I cannot read the compass in any way, shape or form.

Thanks for the help on distance.

-The Chad