PDA

View Full Version : Tricking Lines with Friends.. a Discussion

Fruitarian
07-26-2016, 03:46 PM
So, a lot of gamers that got hands on at E3 felt an immediate comparison with the Skate series, which for me and many others, is sensational :p

Why? Because the fun of that series was easy to reduce to a) hang out with friends b) find something interesting to do and repeat it until the next thing.

Games such as Etalyx get this immediately. Steep is so promising because it's an open world dynamic multiplayer love mountain! (Check out his impressions if you haven't already)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH48ELPe_wg

Thinking about this has me wondering..

What tools are built into the game to make this loop of find-your-own-fun enjoyable and easy? Well we know we have instant access to our lines, so as soon as we find a spot, we can get back up to it and rinse. Or even cut a segment and set it as a challenge. But I'm wondering about small elements of this loop that we haven't seen, for instance..

We hit a button, bring up our line, can we immediately teleport to any spot on it?
Can we designate that spot as a temporary spawn i.e. can we easily keep resetting and retrying?
More interestingly, without creating a challenge, will there be dynamic scoreboards in the game, so as soon as you retry something and you are in a group, it keeps an on-screen tally of your best score? So if you're tricking a spot, without calling out or spectating each other, you can get a top totals easily for some casual competition.
Maybe moreover, we can pick between the disciplines to decide what the scoreboard should track in any given moment.. i.e. most excruciating bails, best tricker, closest flight to the ground etc.. so on the fly, we can just be judging and competing, over anything we want in the world. So you find a great rooftop.. who can land the most flips/rotations off it.. set the start point.. pick the trickster scoreboard.. play.

What are your thoughts on dialling up the competition with your mountain posse? :D

TrialsFusioniot
07-26-2016, 09:15 PM
I hope they also bring in the simulation part of the Skate Series. The fiddling around with one set piece for hours. In Skate you could get caught up in mastering a particular grind on a particular ledge for hours. Me certainly, at least. Pretty much like in Trials Fusion.

In Steep I will play like in the real mountains. I wll never use teleporting. I will only use paraglider, skies and walking to get anywhere on the mountain. Even to repeat runs. So if you see an online player in December in Steep desperately trying to get catch thermal with the paraglider to cycle from that valley up to the mountain top, or someone walking up the entire mountain or cross coutry skiing, that will be me. :)
The compettion will be to find the best/fastest line to the top only using Glider, Walking and Ski.

Malcot
07-27-2016, 04:40 PM
Skate is awesome and I still play Skate 3 on my old Xbox 360. I totally hope Steep will have the same kind of vibe, it seems like it's attracting the same kind of players. I want it to be the sort of game where you can find a sweet little drop that you want to keep seasoning for hours. It's not about big SSX style arcade stuff, it's about the satisfaction of getting the trick down. We also need a snow version of S.K.A.T.E (Maybe S.T.E.E.P).

Any idea if they'll have a hardcore mode like Skate did?

Fruitarian
07-27-2016, 06:16 PM
So if you see an online player in December in Steep desperately trying to get catch thermal with the paraglider to cycle from that valley up to the mountain top, or someone walking up the entire mountain or cross coutry skiing, that will be me. :)

I may follow your lead there Trials. If the paraglider is quick and agile, I'll use that option instead of a respawn too. I wish I had this guy's backpack..:p

Fruitarian
07-27-2016, 06:20 PM
It's not about big SSX style arcade stuff, it's about the satisfaction of getting the trick down. We also need a snow version of S.K.A.T.E (Maybe S.T.E.E.P).

OK now this is out there, this HAS to happen. No buts. Of course it was just an elaborate way of stringing out a casual challenge - but it would be great if they allow us to call out tricks like that did, and then fail to land them :) Great idea Malcot.

What will you guys be getting this on? Sounds like it would be great to hang if you're on PS4..

TrialsFusioniot
07-27-2016, 07:21 PM
Without the equivalent of the hardcore mode of Skate 3 in Steep, gameplay will become boring pretty soon.
I am already a bit worried about that seeing how people at E3 pull of huge tricks after holding the gamepad in their hands for only a few minutes.
No depth in gameplay -> no Sports game.

I am on PC with GTX980 and will get a VR Set if Steep turns out well :)

demogorgon79
07-29-2016, 06:12 AM
I dunno man, I play shredsauce on the same map (on my phone) over and over again just trying different rail combos. That said, hopefully there is a progression with how your character levels up throughout the game. Ie start only being able to spin and flip slowly, reaction time when freeskiing is slower so tighter chutes are harder to navigate till later in the game...

TrialsFusioniot
07-29-2016, 07:09 AM
Difficulty modes should cover all that: Easy (Shredsauce) ...medium... hard (Skate HArdcore). True about the character progression! There would always be lines in front of your nose that you just can not ride properly yet to motivate you.

Googled Shredsauce, did not know it actually. First video in the list. ('you useless statue' at 2:01) Like the landings in Steep right now :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYlF3S5kXBI

Fruitarian
07-29-2016, 10:27 AM
Wow. :eek:

The more you see, or remind yourself of, other mountain games.. the more you crave Steep :)