PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell 1 General Protection Fault - History: blank



MaZ_TeR
07-18-2016, 06:22 PM
So I got the game for free few days ago from Uplay and started it up yesterday. However, once I'm done with the beginning cutscene with Lambert and Sam, the screen turns to nothingness and I get the message from the title and the game closes.

Tried adding this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=657405247 and http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=170119402 and neither fix it as well as tried removing system and textures and reinstalling them and nothing. Setting compatibility mode to XP SM 2 and 3 doesnt work, neither admin mode. Also tried the widescreen fix from here: https://thirteenag.github.io/wfp#sec6 and it doesn't work neither.

I got the game on an external HDD, 7 months old. Everything else works.

Specs:
ASUS GTX 750 Ti
i5-3450 @ 3.10GHz
8GB RAM
1000GB HDD (the external)
Windows 10 64-bit PRO


UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!! IMPORTANT - So if you are getting this issue, you have to put the textures and system folder name all in caps. Mine was like "Textures" and "System". After I put them in lower caps, I could join the game.

X3n0
07-29-2016, 12:45 PM
The same problem here.
When I start the game everything works well. The main menu starts properly. The first mission starts, but only in a resolution of 640x480, low shadow resolution and low effecs. As soon as I try to confirm any changes, the game crashes by showing the same message given in the title.

Specs:
i7-950 @3.07GHz
Gainward GTX 550Ti
8GB RAM
500GB HDD
Win 7 64Ultimate

Musedoom9
08-17-2016, 09:57 PM
The same problem here.
When I start the game everything works well. The main menu starts properly. The first mission starts, but only in a resolution of 640x480, low shadow resolution and low effecs. As soon as I try to confirm any changes, the game crashes by showing the same message given in the title

Same thing here. Everytime I try to change the settings it crashes. I don't know why.

MaZ_TeR
08-18-2016, 02:32 PM
So I got the game for free few days ago from Uplay and started it up yesterday. However, once I'm done with the beginning cutscene with Lambert and Sam, the screen turns to nothingness and I get the message from the title and the game closes.

Tried adding this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=657405247 and http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=170119402 and neither fix it as well as tried removing system and textures and reinstalling them and nothing. Setting compatibility mode to XP SM 2 and 3 doesnt work, neither admin mode. Also tried the widescreen fix from here: https://thirteenag.github.io/wfp#sec6 and it doesn't work neither.

I got the game on an external HDD, 7 months old. Everything else works.

Specs:
ASUS GTX 750 Ti
i5-3450 @ 3.10GHz
8GB RAM
1000GB HDD (the external)
Windows 10 64-bit PRO
Woops, I forgot to tell that I managed to fix this problem an hour after posting this thread. You have to put the textures and system folder name all in caps. Mine was like "Textures" and "System". After I put them in lower caps, I could join the game.

Roma_Rex
09-01-2016, 09:38 AM
Hi. I had the same problem! General Protection Fault. History: Blank. As I understand it, the reasons for such problems may be too much.
Unified, universal solution for all not exist! You need to individually investigate each case.

In my case I tried all possible video settings, but it didn't help. I was almost sure that the problem is not in the video as well as cutscene before the workout started fine.
However, I tried to completely disable the sound in through .ini file and the error stopped appearing!
Looking at the log file "C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\logs" I found that the file "cp_install.bat" from the directory "support\inst" is not carried out properly.

One of the commands in this file, is copy the files from the folder "support\inst\%LANG%" to folder "system", I manually copied three files (SplinterCell.ini; SplinterCellUser.ini; DefConfig_EN.ini) and found in "system" folder was the file "DefConfig_FR.ini" (for French language!).
I replaced it with the file "DefConfig_EN.ini" and problem solved!!!:cool:

Good Luck!