PDA

View Full Version : Fallback Solution to Steep

TrialsFusioniot
07-14-2016, 08:58 PM
If Ubisoft does not manage to make the landings and small bumps more realistic than the current Super Mario Gameplay, I found something that I can play instead. :cool:
They managed it 18 years ago.

From 7:03min, especially 7:09min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecu8WBSOM6E#t=423

Malcot
07-15-2016, 02:55 PM
I vaguely remember that game! Yeah, I hope so too. It still all looks a little stiff to me on the E3 gameplay.

Fruitarian
07-20-2016, 09:28 PM
6 months and a Beta will bring a LOT of fine-tuning, I think we'll be surprised how it improves. You both now I agree that right now the impact could use work, been banging that drum from day one ;)

TrialsFusioniot
07-21-2016, 07:54 AM
The actual gameplay and response from characters is the most important thing in sports games. Will keep banging the drum! Might even get a second drum :)

I am a hobby developer myself and know for sure that physics-animation blending is not difficult, but a design decision. Right now Ubi runs the decision to have it Arcade-Style.
Not sure if I should post my stuff and self advertise, but the forum is not that crowded so it might be ok. Please delete the link if not.

http://www.bluebudgiestudios.com/

I want proper physics blended animations and reactive gameplay in Steep as an optional realistic mode! :rolleyes:

Fruitarian
07-21-2016, 10:54 AM
Had a look at your folio Trials, very cool. Loving your physics ocean tests. I always thought a game where you were castaway and had to navigate raging seas to land, and then island-hop would be engaging with the right atmosphere and physics. Keep it up!

PedroFlinstone
07-21-2016, 06:49 PM
Had a look at your folio Trials, very cool. Loving your physics ocean tests. I always thought a game where you were castaway and had to navigate raging seas to land, and then island-hop would be engaging with the right atmosphere and physics. Keep it up!

That sounds like a pretty fresh idea for a game.

Fruitarian
07-21-2016, 07:06 PM
That sounds like a pretty fresh idea for a game.

Ha! Thanks. Anyone with the talent and persistence is welcome to it.. ;)

TrialsFusioniot
07-22-2016, 08:28 AM
Or some Waterworld movie settting that uses the high wave physics and the infinite ocean. Elite on water, not in space..

Snowboarding physics can also be done in the Indie Engines UE4 or Unity. Basically physics/animation blending. Not so easy in CryEngine though, which I think shows in Snow where the actual character Sking/Boarding is like a stick on skies. Cryengine is not the best choice for sports games. Specifically, with a physics/animation blending method you could have scripts that allow more physics weight when landing and the character would naturally and in a thousand different ways react to impacts. Like UE4 physics based animations or Unity active ragdoll for a start.

Knocking on wood Ubi integrates that as an option. Not like in the Crew where you essentially just have to hold a button to drive like in the old C64 Outrun.
If you read through comments on Youtube and Reddit, there are already many users mentioning weight-less boarders and stuff. The better the actual sports mechanics, the better the sports game.

Malcot
07-22-2016, 04:22 PM
This has got me thinking about how we need a surfing game now! Maybe after they finish Steep Ubi can make "Wave" with surfing, wake boarding and wind surfing :)

Kdogg788
08-02-2016, 07:57 PM
I'm hoping they at least played some Amped 2... It's still my favorite snowboard game and I still have the original Xbox to play it on...

-k

TrialsFusioniot
08-04-2016, 04:10 PM
I loved Amped 2! The landings with the slight instability, camera shake and animations. I was so luny about the game, I managed >1.000.000 on the first Milicent run. The lift cables...