PDA

View Full Version : Ca C'est.. La Montagne!

Fruitarian
06-29-2016, 07:32 PM
So Steep wants us to savour the mountain experience. It wants to elicit more than just adrenaline. With graphical fidelity what it is today, the 'experience' of the mountain may at last be able to be captured and expressed in digital form.

My question for you therefore today, is - What makes a mountain alive to you? Is it being above the clouds? Is it the forces of nature? Is it the ambient silence, or wildlife?

For me personally, I cannot recommend a book by Nan Shepherd highly enough, The Living Mountain. It changed not only my behaviour on the mountainside, but the questions I ask myself! Here's a small piece for you:

Often the mountain gives itself most completely when I have no destination but have gone out merely to be with the mountain as one visits a friend, with no intention but to be with him.

https://drscdn.500px.org/photo/62695781/q%3D80_m%3D1500/9f4c07e6c057339e1f52e20fa904cd55

Malcot
06-30-2016, 05:51 PM
For me it has got to be the forces of nature. The wind, the snow and the mist. Makes me feel very insignificant and always reminds me that it can kill you anytime it want to! I'll check out that book too, sounds interesting.

Fruitarian
06-30-2016, 08:49 PM
For me it has got to be the forces of nature. The wind, the snow and the mist. Makes me feel very insignificant and always reminds me that it can kill you anytime it want to! I'll check out that book too, sounds interesting.

Feeling insignificant is the key. I hope Steep can really make us feel the force and dynamics of the mountain, not just the physical scale. A little concerned that dynamic weather isn't there so sudden weather fronts can change our circumstances, but as long as the toggles we have are dramatic enough it should be fine.

The book is extraordinary. Lyrical, profound. It's a philosopher's guide to mountaincraft.