PDA

View Full Version : can u play offline solo??

t2bane
06-15-2016, 06:05 PM
i'm really cautious buying games anymore. I'm not into all these only online games at all.

xZRadiationZx
06-15-2016, 06:12 PM
i'm really cautious buying games anymore. I'm not into all these only online games at all.

In a conference yesterday the devs of the game said that the game isn't offline but you can play by yourself and online players won't interfere with anthing you do in game so you can play solo but other players will always be in your world :D

Check out our steep group for more :)

PIECEofTOAST
06-15-2016, 09:23 PM
To my knowledge you will have to be connected to the internet to play but I think you are able to go into a solo session that won't come into contact with other players. Even if you can't though other players can't really interfere with your game in any way, you would simply see them riding around with you.

xZRadiationZx
06-15-2016, 10:34 PM
To my knowledge you will have to be connected to the internet to play but I think you are able to go into a solo session that won't come into contact with other players. Even if you can't though other players can't really interfere with your game in any way, you would simply see them riding around with you.

You put it perfectly!
I love the idea of it constantly being online I think it will brng the game to life! :D

Ubi-Surulies
06-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Hello there,

While we believe Steep is best enjoyed with other players, our game has a wide range of activities available for solo players, and sharing your experience with other players enhances the game’s open-world premise.

As shown during the Ubisoft E3 conference, you can enjoy Steep’s multiplayer gameplay in many different ways. You can try to come up with amazing tricks, like a wingsuit going through a paraglide while a skier is jumping over both of them – that’s just one example! We strongly believe in Steep’s potential to become a factory for creating crazy lines and jaw-dropping stunts. We’re convinced players will think of incredible combinations that we haven’t even imagined yet!

Thanks,
Surulies

xZRadiationZx
06-16-2016, 10:17 AM
Hello there,

While we believe Steep is best enjoyed with other players, our game has a wide range of activities available for solo players, and sharing your experience with other players enhances the game’s open-world premise.

As shown during the Ubisoft E3 conference, you can enjoy Steep’s multiplayer gameplay in many different ways. You can try to come up with amazing tricks, like a wingsuit going through a paraglide while a skier is jumping over both of them – that’s just one example! We strongly believe in Steep’s potential to become a factory for creating crazy lines and jaw-dropping stunts. We’re convinced players will think of incredible combinations that we haven’t even imagined yet!

Thanks,
Surulies

I think thats the best choice tbh, it brings an aspect of life to thr game and making everything in the game even cooler when your around people!

Tetsel
06-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Hello there,

Thanks,
Surulies

I guess the answer is NO. No offline solo gaming.

cocoflowa
11-14-2016, 03:29 AM
Hello there,

Thanks,
Surulies

No, it isn't! Best option is if you can choose. Not everyone want to these online features. I bring my ps4 once per 2 months to the location where I don't have internet connection. So I won't be able to play steep there because you believe is the best. Thank you.

flying-fat
11-15-2016, 09:29 PM
No, it isn't! Best option is if you can choose. Not everyone want to these online features. I bring my ps4 once per 2 months to the location where I don't have internet connection. So I won't be able to play steep there because you believe is the best. Thank you.

+100%

Even if it's excellent to play online, I will NEVER buy a game I can/Want play solo that obliges you to be online:
1- When there is several others players around you, my computer is having some lags and drop FPS beucause of them (I never have lags when there was noone around me)
2- Sometimes, others appears at the time and the same place as you and there is a collision which can cause jumps or fails.
3- collisions of 2 caracters: they are kind of supperposed, you have parts of one and parts of the others mixed.
4- In a winsuit challenge, we were 6 on the edge: it was messy :-) You had 50% change to be ejected somehow by another player. I can't even retry quicly a faulty ride.
5- When flying the wingsuit, if another player is in front of you, in certain challenges, you can't see anything because of the smoke generated in front of you. It's real when you're actually playing with him, but when I just want to pass this challenge by retring several times it's just horrible: For 5 ' (after I left), I had 60% of time someone in front of me.
6- when paragliding, others can easily come across and blocking the view, and with the same glider flyiung close by it's easy to get confused: which one is me ?
7- there's still life without internet. Let's take an exemple that will talk to the french dev team in Annecy: when les "monchus" (aka tourists) rent a flat for a week in the alps, there is, still today, only 20-40% of them that have a decent internet connection that permit to play online. Impossible for the children, who bring their console with there favorite winter game (aka STEEP) to play almost where they acutally are. I really think that's a mistake.
7- I don't like it at all

And if network connection is required to play, please AT LEAST add an option to desactivate other player interaction AT ALL

Kdogg788
11-15-2016, 09:52 PM
I wish there was at least the option. I have to run a cord to the Xbox One to play Steep, the Crew, and Elite Dangerous. My wireless is awful.

-k

thewheelz
11-16-2016, 03:42 AM
It's 2016 guys. There's so many good reasons to have a game like this always online, and the reason against seems to be a few people who have bad internet connections. I think your time has come and gone, and this is the way it is now.

Romaniiito
11-16-2016, 10:14 AM
My main concern is long-term support. How long will Ubisoft keep Steep servers online? When they pull the plug one day, will this mean no more game, even with online features disabled?

Kdogg788
11-16-2016, 02:37 PM
It's 2016 guys. There's so many good reasons to have a game like this always online, and the reason against seems to be a few people who have bad internet connections. I think your time has come and gone, and this is the way it is now.

Yes it's 2016 but many people do not have a very good connection whether it is the area they are in or the provider they have. It takes a strong connection for this level of multiplayer connectivity. I have a connection but my wireless is awful and the signal is inconsistent no matter what they do to fix it.

My main concern is long-term support. How long will Ubisoft keep Steep servers online? When they pull the plug one day, will this mean no more game, even with online features disabled?

That's the main issue with these always online games. You pay full price for them not knowing when they will shut it all down. They have killed off other multiplayer servers in the past.

-k

Dolmala
11-16-2016, 04:30 PM

I agree with you but there is a country with 600 Mio potential customers, China! Know what? China is DEAD LAST when it's a bout internet freedom. However, I am sure that China will not restrict "Steep" in China (mostly due to political issues) actually with the Olympic Games 2022 coming up, UBISOFT has a VERY good chance that the game gets approved in China and licensed for the Chinese UI of Xboxone and PS$. But then they need to have it localised and run servers in China.
My experience with the game were very frequent crashes and when I stream the game from the Xboxone to the PC (despite cable) I have very inconsistent results. I ordered the Gold Version and am willing to pay the money in the hope I get the snow feeling I am missing so much in China.

However, UBISOFT, please add some features:

- dedicate server capacity to "difficult countries" like China that we can have the same experience
- If you cant do that, offer an "off line" version. I prefer to play it totally Ego and alone but have the experience of snowsports.I dont need the whole online features. Please do an offline version that Internet ******ed countries like China also can enjoy the game!
- I want to see what trick I did (e..g a 1280 underflip nose, mute, japan)
- The "map" must be improved. Maybe you can hide some maps on remote locations and give hints how to discover new drop zones. E,g in the Beat version in "Les Aguilles" I only found 3 drop zones and some where marked but I couldnt open them. I assume that's what a Beta test is for ;-)
- There are in many ways important information still not or not clearly readable! Please work with clear contrast colors. Better have it poppy that also half blind retirees like me can see it.
- Some of the challenges are ridiculously difficult. The Flying Squirrel" is only doable if you have perfect internet connection. It is frustrating difficult.
- The Wingsuit are challenging but fair
- Some of the ski / SB challenges are way too easy, some are extremely difficult and near to frustration. But that's great!
- Please invest a few more coins into the soundtrack! Otherwise I will ask WHAM if the can donate "White Christmas" to improve it!
- Improve the challenge start! I want to start my ride straight down (skis) or regular (SB). Please dedicate a button for Switch, not the stupid joystick forth and back BS.
- collisons: Once caught in a cliff, it's over. I can take it. But a spastic skier? Worst are the avalanche grids. Once you are in there it's over. Not nice to see. Better make a sort of "dead end competition is over screen" that sends you to the starting point!
- I was on top of "Les Aguilles" and found sort of a "boarder cross" (inactive). It was literally a board walk (boards built on top of the slopes with drops, kickers etc.) It was extremely hard to ski on them and usually my skier was around half a meter above ground and steering was pure luck. This needs lots of improvement!
- I love the wingsuit part, I absolutely love the skiing / SB. The parapente lacks behind a lot. Maybe you make the challenges less challenging and create treasure boxes, easter eggs etc. only reachable by Paraglider...
- Some of the speed races dont need skill, just pure luck!
- add more RPG elements to it. (skill points, different equipment with skills etc.) !!!! Make it a freaking RPG! Then you can add so much more stories. So far you guys are not very creative in that department!!!!

- And please add avalances, trackers, shovels, airbags and that stuff! Safety is important and add some gnarly mini game features like :search the avalacne for your buried buddy or secret treasure or easter egg etc.) Let us call in Rescue helicopters and stear dogs over the avalanche fields - think of the Witcher senses in "The Wicher" etc.

Looking forward to the next test! I totally love the game and I hope you take our Beta Tester input serious! You have to!!!

Kdogg788
11-16-2016, 06:10 PM
An RPG, oh please no. I gotta make a separate thread on this. Most of your other points are good but they derail the thread. Still would like an offline mode though.

-k

RedlightDiz
11-16-2016, 08:28 PM
I was about to pre-order but after reading that it is online only, I will have to pass or wait until they offer offline mode. Our internet goes down often and I don't want to spend money on a game that I can only play some of the time. This is an awful restriction IMO.

RadicalZeal
11-17-2016, 01:44 AM
And when servers get shut down....

I have preordered the Gold Edition and I have enjoyed the beta, but something that really worries me is not having an offline version, because when servers get shut down there will be no more game.

As a player that has hundreds of games, I usually purchase different games at the same time, but I do not play them until I finish some others I am already playing, etc. So, if in the future want to play a game already purchased, only to find that the game will not work anymore because they just closed the servers, well, that will be a waste of money for nothing, while having an offline version will allow you to continue playing the game even if the servers are down.

Now, I will say that multiplayer in this game is very important because when there were few player in the game, it gave me a a sensation of depression and the game become boring, so the game is much better to be played with others, but, thinking ahead, the servers will be eventually shut down, and that is the part when we will need to be able to play offline, or create our own servers. It would be better if the game allows to create personal servers, a feature that could be added in the future.

Thanks

Caramaniac
11-17-2016, 08:02 AM
Hello there,

Thanks,
Surulies

While i believe that you are not answering the question and just dodging it like a noob. I want to add that it's no problemo we just wait until the cracked version is out and than we can play it offline, we would have bought it if offline was possible, especially with winter-sport games its fun to take you laptop with you on winter-sport and play with friends in the evening... aaah well SSX it is :D

thewheelz
11-17-2016, 10:12 PM
Yes it's 2016 but many people do not have a very good connection whether it is the area they are in or the provider they have. It takes a strong connection for this level of multiplayer connectivity. I have a connection but my wireless is awful and the signal is inconsistent no matter what they do to fix it.

That's the main issue with these always online games. You pay full price for them not knowing when they will shut it all down. They have killed off other multiplayer servers in the past.

-k

Ubisoft, I guarantee you, has considered how many potential customers there are in China, and is going to release this game anyway. Whether they feel that the Chinese aren't going to buy it, or that they'll sell plenty of copies without accommodating Chinese internet speeds, it doesn't really matter. This is how it is now, and games probably aren't going back.

If you're worried about the servers dying, I'm willing to bet it will be a long time before that happens. And if it does well, you'll probably be playing the sequel by then anyway. If a $60 investment lasts me a year, I'm overjoyed. If you're looking at this game and hoping it will be the last game you ever need to buy, then maybe you need to rethink things. Or take up a cheaper hobby.

There's also a litany of technical reasons why games sometimes need to always be online, it may have nothing to do with your complaints. It can be hard to hear, but you might have to find something else to play.

This argument comes up before any game with always-online requirements is released, and people never let up. You think they'd be used to it by now.

flying-fat
11-17-2016, 11:58 PM
Ubisoft, I guarantee you, has considered how many potential customers there are in China, and is going to release this game anyway. Whether they feel that the Chinese aren't going to buy it, or that they'll sell plenty of copies without accommodating Chinese internet speeds, it doesn't really matter. This is how it is now, and games probably aren't going back.

If you're worried about the servers dying, I'm willing to bet it will be a long time before that happens. And if it does well, you'll probably be playing the sequel by then anyway. If a $60 investment lasts me a year, I'm overjoyed. If you're looking at this game and hoping it will be the last game you ever need to buy, then maybe you need to rethink things. Or take up a cheaper hobby.

There's also a litany of technical reasons why games sometimes need to always be online, it may have nothing to do with your complaints. It can be hard to hear, but you might have to find something else to play.

This argument comes up before any game with always-online requirements is released, and people never let up. You think they'd be used to it by now.

F***k it !!! I play very little to games. Several hours a year max. And I love to play some of my favourite old games: THPS2 for instance: it's been released 16 years ago and it's still a huge pleasure to play it. So now what ? In 5 years the games will be good to trash ?? In this case, don't tell me to buy the game, but to rent it ! That totally different.

So, many will finally wait for the crack. that's bad, because I rellay wanted to finance a french dev team doing a game about sport I love to watch and to practice. But wihout offline gaming, I'm out.

thewheelz
11-18-2016, 03:44 PM
F***k it !!! I play very little to games. Several hours a year max. And I love to play some of my favourite old games: THPS2 for instance: it's been released 16 years ago and it's still a huge pleasure to play it. So now what ? In 5 years the games will be good to trash ?? In this case, don't tell me to buy the game, but to rent it ! That totally different.

So, many will finally wait for the crack. that's bad, because I rellay wanted to finance a french dev team doing a game about sport I love to watch and to practice. But wihout offline gaming, I'm out.

First of all, I don't work for Ubisoft, so everything I wrote was just for the sake of providing an example. That said, I'm not sure where your 5 year estimate came from.

And again, Ubisoft was aware that anybody who required offline play wouldn't buy this game. So your complaints were considered and basically ignored before Steep was even announced. It's not going to change now.

flying-fat
11-18-2016, 04:40 PM
First of all, I don't work for Ubisoft, so everything I wrote was just for the sake of providing an example. That said, I'm not sure where your 5 year estimate came from.

And again, Ubisoft was aware that anybody who required offline play wouldn't buy this game. So your complaints were considered and basically ignored before Steep was even announced. It's not going to change now.

don't worry, it was not personnal :)

The 5 years has been choosen randomly I admit. But 4, 5, 6 or 7 years, you got the point :-)

And yes, maybe ubisoft does not give a **** about offline gaming, but it doesn't mean we don't have to tell them how **** this decision is :-)

adam3718
11-18-2016, 11:31 PM
I am really looked forward to play that game because there not much games out there in this genre.
I played the beta and liked it, makes fun. In my personal opinion the controls are not perfect or take some time to really get into it, but I wanted it to give it a try.

Until I read that you have to be always online...I miss the times when I only had to install a game and then played it.. I mean it's their decision to go that way and make it a only online titel but especially in such a title where you sometimes maybe just want to grab the board and feel free in the mountains, is it really not possible to add both options into the game? And let the player choose when he wants to play online and when not?
When I played the beta some time I also found it a little bit disturbing when you have other players around you and you really want to focus on the track or have a collison when they at the same place.
And unfortunately from time to time I have problems with my internet connection or the provider and then it's very frustrating when you sit there and think:"Well today no gaming because of the connection...".
I feel a little bit sorry but for me it's a reason why I won't buy it.

But i wish the players a lot of fun with the game and Ubisoft success because of their courage to make such a game in a rather small genre.

silentcut666
12-06-2016, 12:44 AM
Hello!

At first I have to thank you for this game. I´ve waited for it so long and it´s perfect.

But I have problem with the always online condition. I have not problem with other players, but sometimes I have problem with my internet connection and I rather play offline than not at all...

Couldn´t you let us decide whether we want to play with others or not?

I know it´s writen on the box, but what if I decide to stop paying my PS+ membership... Does it mean I have to pay PS+ membership just to be able to play game with online strangers?

I dont want to be rude, but those ideas are going through my mind now... When the connetion broke and I just want to ride...

Thank you

UbiJurassic
12-06-2016, 01:04 AM
Hey silentcut666! As is the case with many titles, PS+ is required for all multiplayer functions of the game. However, if you did choose to cancel your subscription, you can still play Steep but only as a solo rider.

Swizzk0re1312
12-06-2016, 01:09 AM
Hello!

At first I have to thank you for this game. I´ve waited for it so long and it´s perfect.

But I have problem with the always online condition. I have not problem with other players, but sometimes I have problem with my internet connection and I rather play offline than not at all...

Couldn´t you let us decide whether we want to play with others or not?

I know it´s writen on the box, but what if I decide to stop paying my PS+ membership... Does it mean I have to pay PS+ membership just to be able to play game with online strangers?

I dont want to be rude, but those ideas are going through my mind now... When the connetion broke and I just want to ride...

Thank you

i agree, been waiting for this a long time and really hoped they wouldnt do this to game like that..

As far as i know you're still able to play the game without ps+. but you have to be connected to the internet to even start the game. this is due to a security measurement they put in place, known as Always online DRM. So they take the freedom of their paying customers to play the game when they want (maybe a view years after release, when its not profitable enough to run servers for it) and make it impossible to acess you're paid and localy stored data without being able to connect to their servers and authorize that you legaly wasted money.
p
we got "punked" to put it in 90s terms^^

cocoflowa
12-15-2016, 05:12 PM
You can play solo. There's no reason to play online only. I want to play steep everywhere where I bring my PS4. This was really stupid idea ubi. :(

Lebeg21
12-16-2016, 11:55 AM
Hey silentcut666! As is the case with many titles, PS+ is required for all multiplayer functions of the game. However, if you did choose to cancel your subscription, you can still play Steep but only as a solo rider.

As you just admitted, we can play Steep solo. SO WHY ARE YOU KEEPING YOUR F****ING ALWAYS NEEDED CONNECTION?!

GenericError
12-16-2016, 12:13 PM
As you just admitted, we can play Steep solo. SO WHY ARE YOU KEEPING YOUR F****ING ALWAYS NEEDED CONNECTION?!

Exactly.
Especially on console it doesn't even help with DRM because you can't even pirate games on current generation consoles. So there is literally no point in forcing an online connection if you even have an option for solo play. I makes no sense at all.

Esteban2k
12-23-2016, 11:26 AM
I've just got this game and didn't; realise it needs permanent connection.
I'm think I'm going to send it back for refund as I didn't realise I wouldn't be able to play where and when I want. I don't always have internet connection.
Also, I keep all my games and even play them years later, even if I've moved on to new console. This game will essentially and dead disc in a box due to internet connection requirement
For me OFFLINE is not optional. It's a must

Esteban2k
12-23-2016, 12:54 PM
Until I read that you have to be always online...I miss the times when I only had to install a game and then played it.. I mean it's their decision to go that way and make it a only online titel but especially in such a title where you sometimes maybe just want to grab the board and feel free in the mountains, is it really not possible to add both options into the game? And let the player choose when he wants to play online and when not?

Shaun white snowboarding, by ubisoft gave you that exact option. Play offline and enjoy the game as it is. Or connect online and mix with others. They could have done it in the same way.

XenialJesse
12-24-2016, 03:20 PM
I hate the forced online thing. It turns our purchase of Steep into a rental with an expiry date.

It doesn't really matter what year it is; a core solo game has no need to be online. Steep is nowhere near being a real multiplayer game and that's what bugs me. Seeing randoms in your game is super rare. Getting those randoms to join you is extremely rare. Getting those randoms to communicate with you pretty much never happens.

WoW is always online; that makes sense. Eve Online, Hearthstone, Clash of Clans, whatever. They're multiplayer games and I'm not against forced online when it has a point but Steep is 99% solo play, and its in-game features do not remotely nurture multiplayer growth. I *have* tried to find people to play with. I do invite every single person I see. I have managed to play online with 1 contact, total.

So when I move house, no Steep for me that week.
When Ubisoft pulls the plug, no Steep for anyone.

So that's my rant about it; the game doesn't need it and saying otherwise is, I believe, just an excuse.

Unlike Wow, Eve, or Hearthstone, Steep's multiplayer does next to nothing to encourage potential pirates to actually buy the full game, since its multiplayer really is next to nothing. So in my opinion, piracy prevention is the real reason it uses forced online play.

AutopsyFlavored
12-26-2016, 05:38 PM

So when Ubisoft decides to turn off the servers, or goes out of business, the product you purchased just disappears.If you're traveling to a remote location, you can't enjoy it during your downtime while you're there.

I'm glad you're excited about getting screwed over as a consumer. I think 25%of the box art should be required to be a warning like on a pack of cigarettes, myself.

AutopsyFlavored
12-26-2016, 05:55 PM

I don't play many games. I picked up Assassin's Creed of the Caribbean with my PS4 new, and Steep is only the 2nd ps4 title that has interested me. I've never had this problem with a dev on my 3DS. So no, I'm not used to this. And I refuse to let myself become accustomed to the sensation of a developer's reproductive organ in my bowels, either. As customers, we pay them. They can either figure that out or lose some business. This is the same garbage that tanked the industry in the late 1980s.

WatsonSwatson
12-26-2016, 06:15 PM
I just realised that because i am seasonal worker and not everywhere i go is internet bcuz i work in the mountains .. and i love to shred at steep afterworks.. but i need a real good mobile phone conn. to play and it really takes a lot of my limit.. i would recommend to ubi-soft to add an offline option, please! ^^:nonchalance:

kkenny08
01-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Hello there,

Thanks,
Surulies

yeah sure its fun in multiplayer, but atleast give us the choice to play it in offline. its really troublesome to require internet then do it in solo mode where in the other players cannot interfere with us. its not all the time that we have internet connection so atleast give us the liberty to play it in ofline. thanks

cswittus
02-04-2017, 11:22 AM
When PSN is down for maintenance, I cannot play Steep? When you eventually turn off the servers, I cannot play Steep? When I am without internet for any reason, I cannot play Steep?

What kind of business are you running here? An lo and behold, PSN is under maintenance RIGHT NOW, when I thought I would be spending the saturday morning playing Steep. Really, really annoying.

You need to implement an offline mode soon! There is no other way of respecting your customers.

Thanks
Christian

tejolin
02-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Now is sunday morning in italy, I'd like to enjoy some fun with steep I purchased yesterday. Guess what? PSN is down, so I can't
play the game I paid. This is really the best thing you can do to kill a game. Well done ubisoft. I'll return the game asap.

Esteban2k
02-09-2017, 09:50 AM
My issue with the online only model is that it essentially makes games expire. When servers gets switch off or companies go bust = End of line.
I've always enjoyed keeping my games and building up a library. I still have my old console & games and enjoy being able to play them.
This online only system will mean that future generations of gamers most likely won't be able to play the games we've come to enjoy.
Games are art. Having unplayable games is be like words in books vanishing after time...
The curation of games is important. We need to be able to keep games alive and playable.
Steep would be perfectly playable offline. Yes it's being tweaked and added to (which is great), but at least we could play the core of it if our connections go down.

ShuaShua1
12-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Bought this as a gift. Was really looking forward to seeing it and playing. But, constant internet connection is not a possibility. Unfortunately I didn't see that until looking at the case in hand.
I guess I can understand the desire for the developers to essentially force populate an open world. But, a lot of folks get left in the dark. Have no idea what is involved with adding it, but seems at least having an offline option makes it possible for anyone to play. It also ensures the game would last pretty long. Wouldn't that be a good thing for a gaming company? I just don't get the exclusivity and how they think that doesn't take away from the overall life of the game they spent time to create.
But, according to them, they know what's best for us.

LariosoDog1
12-14-2017, 11:04 AM
I also hate the idea that game stops working.

I still play Dirt 2 on 360 in between, and no problem doing that.

But the Division and Steep seems they might stop working one day due to servers used for other purposes.

FNL4EVA
07-10-2018, 02:59 PM
In a conference yesterday the devs of the game said that the game isn't offline but you can play by yourself and online players won't interfere with anthing you do in game so you can play solo but other players will always be in your world :D

Check out our steep group for more :)

Still disposable game when servers go buh bye or you get to poor and lost access to online. Mobile hotspot is meh imo. I liked the beta but online drm on consoles i do not support.

Sorry old thread but...