PDA

View Full Version : Steep - Perfect for VR!

guest-Hfjs0hls
06-14-2016, 12:37 AM
Watching this game on E3 absolutely blew my mind. It is the most stunningly beautiful looking game I've seen with some of the most intense sporting activities going.
But the more I saw of this game, the more I realised how perfect it would be for VR!
What are the chances this game will be released with a virtual reality option?
I really hope it is/ has been considered! :D
I'm looking forward to getting this game with or without VR, but in my opinion, seeing this game in VR will literally create the greatest vr experience imaginable! :P

What's everyones thoughts? :D

Nefhirien
06-14-2016, 12:38 AM
Definitely be an awesome game for VR!

Watching this game on E3 absolutely blew my mind. It is the most stunningly beautiful looking game I've seen with some of the most intense sporting activities going.
But the more I saw of this game, the more I realised how perfect it would be for VR!
What are the chances this game will be released with a virtual reality option?
I really hope it is/ has been considered! :D
I'm looking forward to getting this game with or without VR, but in my opinion, seeing this game in VR will literally create the greatest vr experience imaginable! :P

What's everyones thoughts? :D

HypstaMarcel
06-14-2016, 12:42 AM
Definitely the perfect game for VR. No confirmation of this just yet ;)

SikorskyUH60
06-19-2016, 07:38 AM
I don't see this happening. The issue is that it will cause insane bouts of nausea due to the speed and things like hitting the ground without your body feeling a change in momentum. Could it be done? Yes, but it would require a lot of development, and I would imagine they'd announce it at E3 if they had been doing so. That being said, I'd still love to see it happen, even with the extreme nausea. Proximity wingsuit flying in VR? Sign me up!

Fruitarian
06-19-2016, 01:43 PM
They are currently debating the feature. I agree that nausea and the sense of movement are likely the main concerns. Sounds cool, but only bring it if it doesn't make us yak!! ;)

LordCrash88
06-20-2016, 10:57 PM
VR is confirmed for Steep! :)

https://twitter.com/SteepTheGame/status/742482748045197312

Ubi-Surulies
06-21-2016, 12:55 PM
Hello there,

please note that our official Steep Twitter account is this one: https://twitter.com/Steep_Game and not the one stated above.

Thanks,
Surulies

ILKBNS
06-23-2016, 10:55 AM
DEFINITELY! needs VR. I have a friend I ski with and he has to take pills for motion sickness. So, there you go, some people do that when they want it bad enough. I don't get to spend near enough time in the mountains, so for me, all this game needs to do is give a little bit of the feeling of being there making lines and I wouldn't need anything else in the game. That's why it needs VR :)

TrialsFusioniot
06-23-2016, 10:15 PM
In first person and VR this game could almost serve as senses training for real flips and such. A big part of front or backflips or some 360 flips or more is the actual orientation. When you for example see everything upside down you know that you are halfway through the flip, when the sky shows up you know the front flip is almost done and so on. With enough repetition such orientation marks become like an inner clockwork. Will be quite interesting to see how that feels in VR with a good ski or board mechanic.

TrialsFusioniot
08-15-2016, 02:51 PM
I also thought that would be a good idea, but this weekend I was able to try a Samsung VR and do not think it will happen.

The thing is how to move the camera. Right now it is fixed behind the character and only moves up/down/left/right in automatic ways. Assuming you could move the camera yourself like you do in VR, then there would be two options.
Number one would be to allow looking away from the character and thus the character moving out of sight or at least away from your 'staring at' point, which you need to develop a control feeling.
That would be the Option with a fixed camera that rotates by VR Input.
The other Option is to use your character as Pivot point and rotate/translate the camera around him. But then camera-obstacle detection and evasion will be chaotic and without it you will constantly move the camera into objects by looking around you.

PedroFlinstone
08-18-2016, 03:58 PM
Imagine a skiing game using a VR setup using a motion simulator:
https://youtu.be/ffobgqf7HXw

MrGreen
08-19-2016, 05:10 AM
To me it's pretty simple: VR = Insta-buy. No VR = Don't care.

TrialsFusioniot
08-23-2016, 01:37 PM
They mentioned in the IGN Gamescom video that VR is not coming at release, but they definitely have it on the radar.
Kind of ok to focus first on the PC and Console releases.
For VR you need to downgrade it to have it run with 90fps. I am already afraid my GTX980 will eat downgraded food prepared for the PS4/XBOX.

Fruitarian
08-23-2016, 01:56 PM
Exactly. Having seen how low res the VR experiences are (though really fun) - I can't imagine how much of what Steep is they would have to sacrifice to have it function with the same power? I see why they develop them as separate projects.. you certainly can't just switch on VR for an AAA game. Eagle Flight is a social multiplayer arena, and that has to look like an Anime to work.

IAMONE3
11-23-2016, 06:29 AM
The game is absolutely beautiful! Love your idea of fanning out with the four sports of Wingsuit, Para, Ski, and Boarding which allowed for you to tap into 4 separate markets that alone never seemed to be able to find enough interest / money to produce anything worthy. Though I will say that the guys over at SNOW have done a pretty good job, and it is VR compatible (to some degree). I'm in buying on all platforms if you guys do bring the VR. Imagine the wingsuit flight in full VR at ultimate settings..... whoooa fricken yeeeaaah!

Cali

Sn0tface101
12-02-2016, 12:31 AM
Please make an VR update for the PSVR and Pc!
It is kind of your duty to do it!
I swear, you are off my list off companies i dont give money!
There are many picky snotfaces like me,
but we bring the dollar!!!1

Marvelous_Mac
12-15-2016, 09:21 AM
Second this, please bring vr. I would definitly buy it then. Have no idea how hard it would be though....

Noctumus
12-15-2016, 12:07 PM
I played Steep in Virtual desktop yesterday with a huuuuuuge screen very close to my viewpoint, and it's such a massive experience to get a glimpse of the sizes of the mountains etcetera.

But alas, the virtual desktop solution doesn't really swing along properly as it's too much going on in the graphics so it stutter a bit. Not because the game falters, just because VD is "streaming" the game into the environment.

But what I did get was a huge want for VR Steep!

Oh man, I'd absolutely love it.

And I'm an Iron Stomach, so I can easily be helpful with feedback and ideas if you guys need a beta tester for such a branch.

Using Oculus Rift CV1, getting Touch controllers next week - powered by an i7 6700k with an AMD R9 390 - and has been beta testing games for many years :)

jack_sherak
12-16-2016, 10:52 AM
I played Steep in Virtual desktop yesterday with a huuuuuuge screen very close to my viewpoint, and it's such a massive experience to get a glimpse of the sizes of the mountains etcetera.

But alas, the virtual desktop solution doesn't really swing along properly as it's too much going on in the graphics so it stutter a bit. Not because the game falters, just because VD is "streaming" the game into the environment.

Gonna try this with the PSVR later, you notice graphics stutter on other games as up to now the virtual big screen on PS4 has been pretty faultless with the games I've tried, Battlefront ran without issue.

ChrizZcE
12-16-2016, 02:19 PM
No way this game would work for VR unless itīs significantly downgraded. VR is insanely taxing on the system hence almost all VR games look like early PS2 games.

Noctumus
12-16-2016, 03:01 PM
No way this game would work for VR unless itīs significantly downgraded. VR is insanely taxing on the system hence almost all VR games look like early PS2 games.

And you obviously don't own a VR headset saying that.

Kdogg788
12-16-2016, 03:09 PM
VR would be a nice feature down the road but they should lock up the core gameplay, new areas, etc. before expanding into VR.

-k

jack_sherak
12-17-2016, 01:13 PM

You have a point but not PS2 games, more like PS3 games, that said the recent X-Wing mission looks like late PS2/early ps3 game..... And yeah I fear this will never come to VR for this reason.