PDA

View Full Version : How do I place a hero inside a town?

Sirenian_Dawn
06-13-2016, 10:00 AM
This might be a silly newbie question, but how do I place a hero inside a town so that the character in question can aid with its defence and motivate the forces stationed there? In currently on the first of the Haven missions and I'm supposed to defend Warhagen against an approaching army. The problem is, I can't get Tomas to stay inside the town. He just hangs around outside it.

RobvD84
06-13-2016, 01:57 PM
If i remember correctly if you enter your castle with your Hero he will be automaticly defending it, if you let him/her stay there. I believe the Hero will be standing in the gate then (i believe that's what it is called). I don't remember if it was in H7 too, but in older Heroes games you can drag your Hero portrait up so that it will stay in castle defending. The Hero will then be in castle and not on adventure map.
If you let your Hero stay in the "gate" it should be good. But you can put him/her in the castle if you want. Mostly it's for the strategy of buying a 2nd hero just before the enemy attacks so you can see his army and plan for the main battle.

I hope it was clear and helpfull. If needed i will try and explain this better.

ChiefOfHonour
06-13-2016, 02:31 PM
This might be a silly newbie question, but how do I place a hero inside a town so that the character in question can aid with its defence and motivate the forces stationed there? In currently on the first of the Haven missions and I'm supposed to defend Warhagen against an approaching army. The problem is, I can't get Thomas to stay inside the town. He just hangs around outside it.
Your hero will defend the city even at the gate. To keep the hero inside when at the gate, either click the hero, and the click the town, or double-click the town. Then you will get the town main screen, with two rows for heroes and creatures: Drag the hero to the upper row. If there are creatures in the town before you do this, and the total number of creature types present is more than the hero can handle, you will have to reduce this first - either by killing some of them off, or have another hero take care of them. Once your hero is inside the town, he will stay there until you (from the world view) click on the hero icon. If you click on the hero, then he/she will step back to the gate.

WilburP
06-14-2016, 03:28 AM
I am also having the same problem. When I enter the city, there is no way to end my turn. If I click to leave the city, I am standing right outside. If I end my turn there, I get attacked outside the city and cannot use any city defenses.

Is there a way to end your turn in the city so the army will move and attack?

Thanks

RobvD84
06-14-2016, 05:19 AM
It's been a while since i played that part. But it sounds like it is intentional or it is a bug.

Try to drag your Hero portrait (like what i and Chief said) in the upper row. That's where your units are when you buy them if there is no Hero in your castle.

Sirenian_Dawn
06-14-2016, 07:40 AM
Thanks for all the replies. :)

While in the town screen, I've tried dragging the hero to the upper row of units. Nothing happens.

Someone mentioned entering a castle. Do you mean the building on top of the hill? The funny thing is, when I point at that building with the cursor the label "Marketplace" pops up.. And if I click the building, it will pop up the resource trading dialog. In fact, the game seems convinced that most buildings in this town is the marketplace. Even when I point at the top of a mountain in the background it says "Marketplace". I've been comparing images, and one of the buildings should be the barracks but the game pretends that it's a marketplace. The building that IMHO should be the marketplace has instead ended up labeled "Village Hall". If I click it, I'll end up in the "Build structures" menu. I had the same problem in the tutorial as well. All the building names are mixed up in the landscape view of the town. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix for this?

Sirenian_Dawn
06-14-2016, 07:54 AM
If there are creatures in the town before you do this, and the total number of creature types present is more than the hero can handle, you will have to reduce this first...

How do I known if there are too many? Is there some statistic I can check to find out what the hero's creature handling capacity is?

Sirenian_Dawn
06-14-2016, 08:16 AM
http://guides.gamepressure.com/mightandmagicheroes7/gfx/word/243787894.jpg

I just thought I'd post this image that I found on the web while searching for answers. It looks an awful lot like the mission I'm on. It clearly shows Tomas behind the town walls of a town controlled by the human player.

RobvD84
06-14-2016, 09:03 AM
Castle = Town. Heroes 3, 5, 6 and 7 all uses 7 unit slots for heroes. And in town you also have 7 unit slots. If you have too many units you should either make a new hero where you can stall the unit or delete the unit. But my suggestion is to make a new hero.

For defending, all you have to do is just walk your hero into your town/castle and let it stay there. Or if you prefer just drag it up next to the unit slots in the townscreen. If just standing in town doesn't work it's bugged or it is supposed to be like that (but i guess this is not the case). The first campaign with Haven should be sort of toturial.

Also i just remembered. There was also something with H6, that if you let your hero defend your town (dragging it up next to the unit slots in the townscreen) and you leave your town, the hero will be gone from the adventure map, but if you select the hero via his portrait in the adventure map, he will leave the "garrison" (as i believe it was called). I don't if this was a bug, but i always thougth it was annoying. I also don't know if this is also in H7, i can't remember.
So if you have your hero enter the "garrison" in your town, then leave your town, but don't select the hero after that, just end the turn. This should work.

ChiefOfHonour
06-14-2016, 10:55 AM
How do I known if there are too many? Is there some statistic I can check to find out what the hero's creature handling capacity is?
What I meant was the number of creature types. The hero can hold max 8 creature types, and the castle can hold max 8. If there are creatures in the castle, these will join your hero's creatures, and if the total number of creature types (in the castel+with the hero) are greater than 8, the hero cannot move into the castle.

WilburP
06-14-2016, 11:09 PM
http://guides.gamepressure.com/mightandmagicheroes7/gfx/word/243787894.jpg

I just thought I'd post this image that I found on the web while searching for answers. It looks an awful lot like the mission I'm on. It clearly shows Tomas behind the town walls of a town controlled by the human player.

If someone gets an answer please let me know. I've tried everything I can think of. Either my city gets attacked with the hero not in it. Or I get attacked while right outside the entrance.

I cant figure out how to get attacked while in the city. I only get attacked after I end my turn. The only way i found to end my turn is being outside the city.

It driving me nuts......

RobvD84
06-15-2016, 05:50 AM
Hmmm if you tried everything (even the things we mentioned) then it's most likely a bug. I don't think it;s intentional.

Limbic_Dan
06-15-2016, 09:59 AM
Hey WilburP sounds like you're having trouble putting your hero in the garrison. When you enter a town you'll notice 2 bars at the bottom of the screen. The bottom bar will be Your Hero and his units. The top bar will either be empty of have Units that are in that town (think when you buy units from their buildings they'll automatically go to that top bar).

To garrison your hero + units all you have to do move them all up to that top bar. There is an easy way to do it quickly. On the left hand side in the middle of these 2 unit bars there is a little symbol that is an Up and down arrow. Click this and it will switch all units from top to bottom or bottom to top.

Once you've done this, when you then pass your turn and have your town attacked he'll be fighting your hero and those units you roam with + any Units you get from building fortifications.

WilburP
06-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Hey WilburP sounds like you're having trouble putting your hero in the garrison. When you enter a town you'll notice 2 bars at the bottom of the screen. The bottom bar will be Your Hero and his units. The top bar will either be empty of have Units that are in that town (think when you buy units from their buildings they'll automatically go to that top bar).

To garrison your hero + units all you have to do move them all up to that top bar. There is an easy way to do it quickly. On the left hand side in the middle of these 2 unit bars there is a little symbol that is an Up and down arrow. Click this and it will switch all units from top to bottom or bottom to top.

Once you've done this, when you then pass your turn and have your town attacked he'll be fighting your hero and those units you roam with + any Units you get from building fortifications.

I can move my troops to the garrison but I cannot move the hero, he just pops back down. So when I leave town and end my turn, I have to defend without a hero. (BTW, I dont have the little buttons to move them all, I need to drag them)

I also didnt see the little buttons

RobvD84
06-15-2016, 12:51 PM
Do you have enough place to fit all units in your garrison?

WilburP
06-16-2016, 12:29 AM
Do you have enough place to fit all units in your garrison?

Yea, i realized that they were probably not visible because my party was full and there were a couple of stacks already in the garrison.

i just wished I could figure out how to leave my hero behind, I get killed easily fighting with no hero in the city.

probably just going to quit. I wasnt sure if I liked the game but I wanted to give it a little more testingf

WilburP
06-16-2016, 12:36 AM
Yea, i realized that they were probably not visible because my party was full and there were a couple of stacks already in the garrison.

i just wished I could figure out how to leave my hero behind, I get killed easily fighting with no hero in the city.

probably just going to quit. I wasnt sure if I liked the game but I wanted to give it a little more testingf

Well, I finally figured it out.

Stupid problem, If you have more troops than will fit all in your party or all in the garrison, you cannot move your hero. After I dismissed a couple of troop stacks, I could move ALL troops to the garrison and then move the hero. Game should have told you that you cant move a hero with troops in the party.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help!!!!!!!

RobvD84
06-16-2016, 06:11 AM
Well there is a first time for everything ;) We all had to learn things the hard way with games like this.

Anyway good to see that it's resolved for you.

Sirenian_Dawn
06-16-2016, 08:41 AM
Castle = Town. Heroes 3, 5, 6 and 7 all uses 7 unit slots for heroes. And in town you also have 7 unit slots. If you have too many units you should either make a new hero where you can stall the unit or delete the unit. But my suggestion is to make a new hero.

What I meant was the number of creature types. The hero can hold max 8 creature types, and the castle can hold max 8. If there are creatures in the castle, these will join your hero's creatures, and if the total number of creature types (in the castel+with the hero) are greater than 8, the hero cannot move into the castle.

It worked!!! Yay! :D Thanks!

I had too many different types of units. I could fit all my units into the town, except for one stack of pixies. They ended up outside the town, and since they were outside the hero appearently also had to stay outside the town to "babysit" them. I would otherwise have gotten myself an extra hero, but this town lacks a Hall of Heroes and building one doesn't seem to be an option in this mission. All I could do was dismiss a stack of creatures so I decided that the pixies had to go. After that, I could fit all my creatures into the town and then the game let me drag the hero portrait to the upper row of units in the town screen.