PDA

View Full Version : Explanation of Spitfire Models?

DnnC
03-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Could someone explain to me the difference in performance in the game between the original wing spitfire to the clipped wing spitfires. I don't seem to find much of a difference. One of my favorite fighters by the way, can't wait till Spitfire IX

DnnC
03-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Could someone explain to me the difference in performance in the game between the original wing spitfire to the clipped wing spitfires. I don't seem to find much of a difference. One of my favorite fighters by the way, can't wait till Spitfire IX

FI_Deathsledge
03-22-2004, 11:48 AM
theres not really a big performance boost in the different models, the only thing thats different is the clipped wing version allowed for better handling at lower altitudes than the earlier models. all this info is in the "View Objects" feature in your game.
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

F19_Ob
03-22-2004, 12:03 PM
the clipped wings enabled a faster roll.
Not all pilots liked it early on but many soon claimed better performance against german fastrollers like the fw190 and also the 109 was faster in roll.

The german had a tactic when bounced: Push stick forward(=bunt) and dive. Early spit engines would cuogh and loose speed if they tried to follow in same manner and to roll vertical and follow just took too long time so the german got away.Mkv had better performance but still had difficulties with the axis planes. When the spit mkIX came it became much harder for germans to dive away and many fw190's failed against it.

cheers

Oso2323
03-22-2004, 01:11 PM
In real life the Spit V with the Merlin 50 series engine was optimized for performance below 10,000 feet. The clipped wings increased speed at the expense of turning ability.