PDA

View Full Version : My sad experience of "squadmembers"

F19_Ob
02-19-2004, 05:05 AM
I dont turn to any speciffic squads or persons and im not interrested in flaming or blaming anyone.
Ofcourse this doesnt apply to all squads but in my experience many squads behave poorly when in a group online.

A single person can behave badly online too and there can be an exchange of words but it normally passes quickly. this kind of quarrel often get really nasty as soon as two or more squadmembers get involved. The amount of flaming increases and normally cool individuals
become *sshats.
It is psychologically easy to explain why "buddies " stick together and Im all for it but that still wont drag me into "grouppounding".

Im quite dissapointed with squads discussing the faults of their opponents and uberplanes and so on.... in an ongoing game,and i feel especially bad if they are my fellowcountrymen (sweds and finns).

I fly with a wingmate and I dont allways agree with him If he would get involved in something, and I feel free to disagree(he likewise).And If one of us gets anoyed online and plan to share it, the otherone tries to stop it ( in a constructive way)(it works sometimes) http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I think this is can be a good way to avoid unnescessary "friction" since this "game" allready is so "personal" for many.

I also think that members of a squad, if they are together on a server, have a huge advantage and should be more of gentlemen and set an example. Above all they should be very carefull with the language since I belive the wrong words will absolutely give the whole squad a bad reputation. It is very easy to misunderstand situations and intentions online
with people from so many countries.

I am by no means perfect my self... I just want to make squads and individuals more aware of this since it has a such an impact on the gaming experience for all on the server.

A tired ob

F19_Ob
02-19-2004, 05:05 AM
I dont turn to any speciffic squads or persons and im not interrested in flaming or blaming anyone.
Ofcourse this doesnt apply to all squads but in my experience many squads behave poorly when in a group online.

A single person can behave badly online too and there can be an exchange of words but it normally passes quickly. this kind of quarrel often get really nasty as soon as two or more squadmembers get involved. The amount of flaming increases and normally cool individuals
become *sshats.
It is psychologically easy to explain why "buddies " stick together and Im all for it but that still wont drag me into "grouppounding".

Im quite dissapointed with squads discussing the faults of their opponents and uberplanes and so on.... in an ongoing game,and i feel especially bad if they are my fellowcountrymen (sweds and finns).

I fly with a wingmate and I dont allways agree with him If he would get involved in something, and I feel free to disagree(he likewise).And If one of us gets anoyed online and plan to share it, the otherone tries to stop it ( in a constructive way)(it works sometimes) http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I think this is can be a good way to avoid unnescessary "friction" since this "game" allready is so "personal" for many.

I also think that members of a squad, if they are together on a server, have a huge advantage and should be more of gentlemen and set an example. Above all they should be very carefull with the language since I belive the wrong words will absolutely give the whole squad a bad reputation. It is very easy to misunderstand situations and intentions online
with people from so many countries.

I am by no means perfect my self... I just want to make squads and individuals more aware of this since it has a such an impact on the gaming experience for all on the server.

A tired ob

WooHooToYou
02-19-2004, 05:32 AM
ob I couldnā't agree more.

If people what to be abusive towards each other they should go to the CWOS forum.

Thatā's what itā's there for.

SeaFireLIV
02-19-2004, 05:34 AM
This is interesting. Perhaps it should go under the title of `Advance Squad Team Ethics/ Team Working`?
Anyway, I`m not sure if you`re talking about Squad Mates ganging up on no-squad mates or Squad mates attacking each other. On the former I find that my online Squad tends to be very good when it comes to dealing with non-squad pilots. They`re are very slow to accuse and quick to advise. I once shot down a bogey who had dropped gears and wafting smoke, after the game a squad member pmed me and advised I should give a quick apology because the server had `No shoot if smoke and gear down rules`. I didn`t know this. At the time I thought it a bit unnesecarry, but was impressed with the concern of the fellow pilots for the server rules.

The only time we have `ganged up` on non-members has been when they`ve become obvious team-killers or made an accusation that`s plainly out of order (and then we usually give them a chance to explain themselves first).

As for internal squad squarrels, yes we do get that at times. This is only Human since we have voice comms and work quite a lot together. It`s sometimes easy to hear perceived sarcasm, or even an offensive statement made. There can even be anger. But these things tend to whine down very quickly and usually last only for the immediate session. I think it is in fact an additional bit of realism, real WWII pilots must have these internal little quarrels a few times.

One bit of advice:

Don`t take it off the net with you. Forget it once you`ve disconnected. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SeaFireLIV...

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/LAlowblue.jpg

F19_Orheim
02-19-2004, 06:47 AM
Ob_Swe

I understand what you are saying and I really think it's all about how serious you take this "gaming". ... I can only speek for F19 Virtual Squadron. We are a bunch of guys (all Scandinavians with Capt. Haddock as an exception) who just play for fun, and everyone of us would be really pissed of on ANY F19 "volunteer" if he should behave badly. So far I must say I am really glad about all the guys in F19.... They are a great bunch... with me as an exception...http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I do agree that the squadrons should set example of good behaviour online, and in my own humble opinion most squads do.

So OB, if you at some point do think about joining a squad, just to get to know some guys and not take the gaming TOO seriously, give me a holler... You seem to be a decent guy and would fit in perfectly....

http://216.12.202.106/~f19vs/F19bannerA.jpg http://216.12.202.106/~f19vs/F19banner.jpg

Lazy312
02-19-2004, 09:04 AM
I think there are hateful people both lone and squad members. It is true that such jerk can be more "brave" when accompanied by others of his kind...

wooden planes, iron men

TacticalSkirmsh
02-19-2004, 09:13 AM
While not an official spokesman for our squad, I have observed just how friendly mates of the Fightin' Irish are to any and all who occassionally join our server.

There usually is no set procedure with regards to flying with non-squad members - i.e., we don't ask anyone to change sides (unless the teams are not even of course).

I suppose more serious squads may act differently. And I have experienced individuals who ought to be kicked/banned from servers. In any event, interesting point friend.

Regards

:FI:TacticalS!

BaldieJr
02-19-2004, 09:29 AM
ob_swe,

Don't sweat it. Whenever you get a group of people who are close, they will always do a good job of distancing outsiders. Its just human nature.

Ignore it. Tell yourself: these are people who NEED this, while I am more evolved.

Most don't realize they are doing it. They get so accustomed to being liberal in thier abuses (because its excepted within the group) that they often don't realize how impolite they are being to non-group members. Thier loss.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
______ _____
(, / ) /) /) , (, /
/---( _ // _(/ _ / __ ,""""]
+----/ ____)(_(_(/_(_(__(__(/____/__/ (__--------,' /---+
| / ( / ,' NR / |
|(_/ ..-""``"'-._ (_/ __,' 42 _/ |
+-.-"" "-..,____________/7,.--"" __]-----+

</pre>

Monty_Thrud
02-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Im so glad you brought this up ob_swe, this has bothered me for some time, so much so that i am starting to be put off online flying altogether now.

If it wasnt for the very few polite gentleman squadmembers who have helped/encouraged me in the past i would have stopped completely and would no way join a squad unless this was there etiquette.

http://www.uploadit.org/bsamania/Clipboard.jpg
Is this the horn? OOPS!...hello...HELLOOOO!

p1ngu666
02-19-2004, 12:29 PM
dont think ive come across this. i dont like the dont swear rule. once i said some rude word and someone is like dont cos my young daughter is watching. im like fair enuff, then it hits me. shes watching her dad fight or others, ppl being killed, burned to death etc, which is "fine" now if i say a rude word thats wrong. which is gonna affect the kid more?

http://www.pingu666.modded.me.uk/mysig3.jpg

BaldieJr
02-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Like father like son.

Think about it. If dad thinks languange is bad, the kid'll grow up thinking the same thing. So watch your language. Besides, using foul languange makes you sound dumb.

In a lot of cases, people whine about language because thats all they have to whine about, but in some cases, it truely is offensive. You can't write off the minority because of the abuses of the ignorant.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
______ _____
(, / ) /) /) , (, /
/---( _ // _(/ _ / __ ,""""]
+----/ ____)(_(_(/_(_(__(__(/____/__/ (__--------,' /---+
| / ( / ,' NR / |
|(_/ ..-""``"'-._ (_/ __,' 42 _/ |
+-.-"" "-..,____________/7,.--"" __]-----+

</pre>

ZG77_Nagual
02-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Absolutely.
I'd say if our squad has an organizing principal - other than just years of really getting to know eachother and having fun, it's being considerate and helpful online. It's on the top of the list of my priorities and it includes the way I fly - for example if I'm obviously more experienced and shoot someone down a few times - I'll usually leave them alone - unless they seek me out or want more practice.. stuff like that.

Your all invited if you see ZG77Server - I can't guarantee it's allways civil, but I can guarantee my squadmates behavior and that you are welcome.

F19_Ob
02-20-2004, 02:57 AM
Thnx for your views on this guys, and many thnx for the invitation F19_Orheim. F19 seems to be a good squad, since I only heard good things about it.
I know there are lots of good squads out there too and I only brought up a possible negative side of squading.
I belive most squads do their best, but sadly the bad behaving ones affect also the publics view on the good ones.

As someone mentioned it is possible that some arent aware of that they infact are trolling and the group thing influences them in to action.

Im a bit of a hardhead and personally im not so brought down by this, but I feel for the ones who are new guests on a server and are lolled out of it or singled out for noobhood or any other sillyness.

I mostly fly on Greater green and these things dsnt happen often there and if it does, many of the regulars will react on it ( in a constructive way)and the regulars are often squadmembers http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif