PDA

View Full Version : The harsh territory. How to measure? Types, penalty?

ernests79
05-09-2016, 09:44 AM
How to determine the harsh territory? What are types of harsh territory and penalty? Are there native territory in HM&M 7?

There is a complete lack of information about these issues. It is very important for the decent play. Developers or someone else, please help!

Limbic_Dan
05-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Hi ernests79.

Do you mean Harsh Terrain, and Harsh Terrain penalties (which then can be reduces with the Exploration Ability 'Pathfinding')? If so then anything that is NOT an obvious path is considered Harsh Terrain. If you do mean Territory, then I'm unsure I understand the issue you're having.

ernests79
05-09-2016, 02:44 PM
Hi ernests79.

Do you mean Harsh Terrain, and Harsh Terrain penalties (which then can be reduces with the Exploration Ability 'Pathfinding')? If so then anything that is NOT an obvious path is considered Harsh Terrain.
Exactly. So, there is no more "Native Terrain" as in previous parts of game?
How large is penalty of Harsh Terrain without 'Pathfinding'?

Limbic_Dan
05-09-2016, 04:25 PM
So basically we have a few things happening in regards to Terrain.

If you run on a path/road you'll get +50% movement.
If you move to Grass, non hilly area's you know, simple stuff you'll be on what is considered 'Normal' Terrain. This gives no movement penalty or advantage.
If you move to Sandy areas, Hilly places, Snow, this type of thing you'll be on what is known as Rough Terrain and get a -40% movement panalty.

If the hero has an effect which removes the rough terrain penalty the following happens:

The base movement cost of a tile (without cost modifiers; see below) is greater than a certain threshold cost (default: 1.0) then the base movement cost for the tile are set to this threshold.
RoughTerrainThreshold = 1.0

Then further multiplicative modifiers apply.

The following effects modify the base movement cost:
http://imgur.com/FZWNPri

A modifier is multiplied to the base movement cost of a tile, if the modifier applies. A modifier applies, if the tile's terrain type is in the according terrain group of the modifier.

Finally a multiplicative modifier for diagonal movement has to be applied in case.
DiagonalMod = 1.41

Through all this modifiers it is possible to have a cost of a floating point number. Which leads to a remaining movement point pool which is also a floating point number. Since the remaining movement points of a hero will always be displayed through integer numbers, the displayed number will be rounded down, but internally the floating point will be kept.

Putting all steps in one line could be written as:

Movement Cost = Max(0, ( Base Cost | Threshold Cost ) * Modifier * DiagonalMod)

ernests79
05-10-2016, 06:47 AM
Limbic_Dan, thank you very much for your comprehensive reply!

Left only the last piece of the puzzle to respond. What terrain is native for each race? And what is the familiar terrain?

Tarelther
05-10-2016, 01:29 PM
Native Terrain is a governor ability in Novice Exploration. It applies the speed bonus in the area of control of the town being governed for the player. Familiar Terrain is the Grandmaster Exploration ability.

IMMORTAL_999
05-10-2016, 02:19 PM
Native Terrain is a governor ability in Novice Exploration. It applies the speed bonus in the area of control of the town being governed for the player. Familiar Terrain is the Grandmaster Exploration ability.

If I understand correctly, he (ernests79) wants to learn how to identify its terrain.
"Tarelther", ... your Governor in this discussion is not relevant.
Governor gives some bonuses on its territory.
There is a button that shows the boundaries of your territory on the mini map.
But the essence of the conversation is quite different ...

Limbic_Dan, I think you need to make an explanation, especially for beginners.
I am not a beginner and I am able to determine my terrain, depending on my faction.

Tarelther
05-10-2016, 11:42 PM
Factions do not have preferred terrain in Heroes 7.