PDA

View Full Version : attn: lightning pilots

Venom079
05-14-2004, 11:03 AM
How do you guys deal with the poor side and rear visablity?

Flew some P38 missions last night which was a blast but i can't see a damn thing to my left/right rear...well, i can see but not that well. any suggestions plz

Venom079
05-14-2004, 11:03 AM
How do you guys deal with the poor side and rear visablity?

Flew some P38 missions last night which was a blast but i can't see a damn thing to my left/right rear...well, i can see but not that well. any suggestions plz

|CoB|_Spectre
05-14-2004, 11:18 AM
By simulating the methods used by P-38 pilots: Keep your head on a swivel (usually with hat switch) and moving the airplane around (dipping wings, occasional clearing turns). Sure, they could reposition their heads to peer around canopy framing, but they still had plenty of blind spots from those big wings. Even though you've got a teardrop shaped canopy, the human body is somewhat limited as to how far you can look over your shoulder (unless you're in need of the Exorcist). Presently, I find the rear view canopy mounted mirror causes way too much loss of framerates to be of any value.

georgeo76
05-14-2004, 11:39 AM
remember, aileron rolls are practically free as far as E management goes, and they reveal enemys. Also, keep in mind where enemys are likely to come from. keep your eye toward their base and check high six often. Plan your flight path so that the enemys are likely to appear off your wing tip where they will be more visible than behind (or in front) of you.

Venom079
05-14-2004, 11:50 AM
thnx fellas for the good tipshttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif will put them to use ASAP. I did try the canopy mounted mirror but like spectre stated: causes way too much loss of framerates to be of any value.

hos8367
05-14-2004, 12:32 PM
supposedly the framerate prob in the spit and 38 is fixed in the patch we may never get...

Korolov
05-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Visibility to the sides and rear is never a problem for me. You just use rudder and aileron to adjust your point of view occasionally.

http://www.mechmodels.com/images/newsig1.jpg