PDA

View Full Version : Poor performance on high-end rig

Joeyzoom
04-24-2016, 04:08 AM
Hey there, I recently built a pretty stout gaming rig and get great performance in almost all games but Primal. I cannot seem to maintain even 30fps average during gameplay. I've tried configuring from low to ultra graphic settings and everything in between to help improve framerates. Using the in-game benchmark utility, with graphics on high, I average only about 25-30 fps. Dropping the settings doesn't increase it by much more. I've tried killing background processes and anything else that I can to no avail.

This is what I'm playing with:
Hardware:
CPU: i7-6700k 4.0GHz
GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti
RAM: 16GB Corsair DDR4
Monitor: 1080p 60hz

Software:
Drivers: Latest Nvidia drivers

I've tried numerous things but am reaching out to the community to help solve this issue. Please help me diagnose and fix the issue so I can play the game the way it should be played :)

migunner5150
04-25-2016, 06:36 AM
something must be configured wrong, the vid card should handle it fine, there may be a temperature problem causing either the gpu or the cpu to throttle back, also check the -temperature of the north-bridge and especially the volt regs, I put fan on them and on mem, saw temp as high as 197f on v-regs before the fan now it hits 167f, download openhardware monitor and set it up to have the applet that sits on desktop that shows the n.bridge, v-regs, cpu temp, gpu temp, gpu load, gpu fan speed, gpu frequency, then set the program graphing function and go hammer the game, then pop out and see what was hot or suddenly dropped in frequency, I have a gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, amd 6350 6core cpu corsair liquid cool, 2 asus radeon r9-270 in crossfire, 16g gskill sniper ddr3 samsung 850ssd c:drv, 720 watt thermaltake p/s, lamptron 6 channel fan and pump controller, and I am playing at reduced graphics detail because of temps not frame rates, I am getting ready to liquid cool the gpu's I have the swiftek pump and full copper system for it, did it first with nvidia gtx550ti cars in sli and it worked really well, back to the heat, hottest I ever saw my system was running farcry primal at full settings and primary card hit 207f alarm briefly went off but it was just a brief spike so nothing initiated protective shutdown,I have corsair link, cpu's "coretemp", and "hardware monitor", and in bios, all with the overtemp and fan and pump fail warnings and shutdowns, I had issues with just cause 3 until I added the extra ram and then the ssd drive, Hope that helps some MG

Hey there, I recently built a pretty stout gaming rig and get great performance in almost all games but Primal. I cannot seem to maintain even 30fps average during gameplay. I've tried configuring from low to ultra graphic settings and everything in between to help improve framerates. Using the in-game benchmark utility, with graphics on high, I average only about 25-30 fps. Dropping the settings doesn't increase it by much more. I've tried killing background processes and anything else that I can to no avail.

This is what I'm playing with:
Hardware:
CPU: i7-6700k 4.0GHz
GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti
RAM: 16GB Corsair DDR4
Monitor: 1080p 60hz

Software:
Drivers: Latest Nvidia drivers

I've tried numerous things but am reaching out to the community to help solve this issue. Please help me diagnose and fix the issue so I can play the game the way it should be played :)

Joeyzoom
04-27-2016, 10:59 PM
Quick update, I installed the Ultra HD texture pack and ran the benchmark again. The average FPS didn't change significantly. Instead of 1800 total frames drawn, it was only around 1780 frames, negligible difference. I cannot seem to narrow down what my bottleneck is. I've ran much more demanding games at higher resolutions on ultra with this rig and get significantly higher frame rates than I get with this game, even with graphics on low.

I'm considering just refunding the game, as support is obviously not very helpful. I'm rather disappointed because it is a fairly fun game, just poor performance.

Aussie Patriot
04-28-2016, 06:48 AM
Joeyzoom

Provided your rig is up to date including: Windows, intel drivers, nVidia drivers, DX and so on, then your system should be able to run the game on ultra settings with an almost consistant 60fps.
Obviously though something is wrong if you are only getting 30fps or so.

The first thing anyone should do when they need to trouble shoot problems with gaming is monitor your system in real time and have it displayed in real time while in game. The best way to do this is with MSI Afterburner. it can be configured so you can monitor all the important resources and hardware in your system and have it displayed on screen while gaming. This tool really is invaluable, its priceless. I never game without it running as its helped me countlessly time after time to trouble shooting problematic games that stutter, have poor performance and so on.

Until you do some troubleshooting of your own you will never know what exactly the problem is. Its easy to blame the game if your system can't run it where you can play other games flawlessly but being a PC gamer you should know all PC's run differently and every PC needs some tinkering from time to time.

I'm happy to help you more, but you must install MSI AB first and take a look and make sure your PC resources and hardware are being used properly. Specifically concerning MSI AB, I would set it up so you can monitor your system as follows:

CPU cores (all cores, threads)
CPU temp
SYS RAM usage
Video card usage
Video card temp
Video RAM speed
Video RAM usage
FPS and frametime

After you've taken a look at what your system is doing report back here.

Joeyzoom
04-29-2016, 12:07 AM
Joeyzoom

Provided your rig is up to date including: Windows, intel drivers, nVidia drivers, DX and so on, then your system should be able to run the game on ultra settings with an almost consistant 60fps.
Obviously though something is wrong if you are only getting 30fps or so.

The first thing anyone should do when they need to trouble shoot problems with gaming is monitor your system in real time and have it displayed in real time while in game. The best way to do this is with MSI Afterburner. it can be configured so you can monitor all the important resources and hardware in your system and have it displayed on screen while gaming. This tool really is invaluable, its priceless. I never game without it running as its helped me countlessly time after time to trouble shooting problematic games that stutter, have poor performance and so on.

Until you do some troubleshooting of your own you will never know what exactly the problem is. Its easy to blame the game if your system can't run it where you can play other games flawlessly but being a PC gamer you should know all PC's run differently and every PC needs some tinkering from time to time.

I'm happy to help you more, but you must install MSI AB first and take a look and make sure your PC resources and hardware are being used properly. Specifically concerning MSI AB, I would set it up so you can monitor your system as follows:

CPU cores (all cores, threads)
CPU temp
SYS RAM usage
Video card usage
Video card temp
Video RAM speed
Video RAM usage
FPS and frametime

After you've taken a look at what your system is doing report back here.

I've actually been using AB for quite a while, it's one of my all-time favorite monitoring apps. I did a few benchmarks and acquired the data you requested in averages:

CPU cores (all cores, threads): average 4core/hyperthread (8 thread?) usage is 60-75% consistently
CPU temp: consistent 45C
SYS RAM usage: 7.2GB
Video card usage: ranges between 25-30% usage
Video card temp: with the 980Ti, the fans don't really ramp up until past 65C, but it never hit even that high. Average of 63C
Video RAM speed: 7GHz (3500MHz x 2)
Video RAM usage: 48% per the benchmark but per AB ~3.5GB
FPS and frametime: Ranges between 18-42FPS with average of 26

All of this data comes from running the in-game benchmark. My mind is absolutely blown that I can't achieve higher framerates than this.

Thank you for the response Aussie Patriot!

Aussie Patriot
04-29-2016, 07:22 AM
Ok, going from your feedback, your video card is not being used to its max potential. I sometimes experience this when swapping from fullscreen to bordlerless to windowed. Try ALT-TABBING a couple times and also ALT-ENTER and also toggling fullscreen/borderless/windowed via in-game options and see how you go.

Joeyzoom
04-30-2016, 12:36 AM
I tried windowed, borderless, borderlesswindowed, and fullscreen. I tried alt+tabbing on each and it didn't seem to do any difference other than on fullscreen (obviously tabbed out). Alt+Enter didn't seem to do anything either, I would have to physically switch in the menu from fullscreen to windowed and vice versa.

The results were pretty minimal. Between windowed, borderless, and windowed borderless, the benchmark average fps and total drawn frames were within 5% difference.

However, during fullscreen, I was getting about 10-15% LESS performance with lower average fps and total frames drawn. (I find that result odd)

The cpu/gpu usage were consistent with the prior tests.

I play at 1920x1080 but also have a 3-monitor setup. I thought possibly that was messing with things so I unplugged my 2 side monitors and ran the tests. Surprisingly, the results remained completely consistent with the above results with less than 5% variability.

Once again, I'm completely stumped. I had also used the uPlay client to verify the game files which it found nothing wrong/incorrect. I've been thinking of just uninstalling completely and reinstalling to see if it makes a difference.

Grr!

Aussie Patriot
04-30-2016, 02:51 AM
Can you take a screenshoot in the graphics menu with all the previously mentioned resources being monitored and displayed?

Joeyzoom
05-01-2016, 08:06 PM
Can you take a screenshoot in the graphics menu with all the previously mentioned resources being monitored and displayed?

https://i.gyazo.com/836dd2134fd878cb710229a7f85ca6ba.png

On the graph, the top section has CPU/GPU temp, FPS, and GPU Fan speed (cpu temp highlighted)

Middle section is CPU/GPU usage (CPU highlighted)

Bottom section is RAM/VRAM usage (RAM highlighted)

Joeyzoom
05-04-2016, 01:02 AM
I thought I'd give an fresh install a try. I uninstalled it from my HDD and reinstalled it on a SSD, and it made no difference. The performance is still horrible :/

Joeyzoom
05-05-2016, 10:46 PM
You could have checked that it was a storage performance issue by monitoring the usage shown under task manager while running the game.
If that was the case you wouldn't have a performance issue but rather polygons popping up from nowhere (z-clipping)

Well that's kind of what I figured, I just used it as an excuse to load it onto SSD

Razrback16
07-04-2016, 02:14 AM
Any luck on this Joey? Just kinda curious after reading through your issues. After reading through your posts a bit, the issue is clearly that your gpu is only being utilized 25-30%. Why, I don't have the first clue. It should be seeing around 80-100% utilization. You don't have it set to 30fps lock do you? There is a setting for this in either the graphics or gameplay options. You'll want it to beat at 60fps.