PDA

View Full Version : No panache at flying

tsarbeauty
12-28-2003, 04:30 AM
Hello again!My thanx 2 the people that replyed to my last.The convergence ranges suggested work well.PLEASE could any alte adlers out there give advice on how to best fly the 109 and 190? I mean things such as defensive maneouvers and fuel mixtures,prop pitch and stuff,as I am new to this part of the simulation!Definetly a fan of the German planes,Russians ones seem a bit underarmed at the start of the war though.Is it just me or is the muzzle flash on fuselage mounted weapons a tad 2 much?I cant help but imagine pilots flying around with welding goggles on to compensate!(spec 262). http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

tsarbeauty
12-28-2003, 04:30 AM
Hello again!My thanx 2 the people that replyed to my last.The convergence ranges suggested work well.PLEASE could any alte adlers out there give advice on how to best fly the 109 and 190? I mean things such as defensive maneouvers and fuel mixtures,prop pitch and stuff,as I am new to this part of the simulation!Definetly a fan of the German planes,Russians ones seem a bit underarmed at the start of the war though.Is it just me or is the muzzle flash on fuselage mounted weapons a tad 2 much?I cant help but imagine pilots flying around with welding goggles on to compensate!(spec 262). http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

ZG77_Lignite
12-28-2003, 12:51 PM
I am only qualified (if that is even possible) to comment on the FW190. The FW190 has an automated engine control system (called Kommandergerat) that controls engine RPM, Manifold Pressure, Fuel Mixture and Supercharger speed, all on the 'throttle lever'. It is quite efficient, and realistic compared to its historic counterpart. It is not necessary for the pilot to adjust any of these things manually (see below). You may need to adjust your radiator settings (somewhat historic, arguably no 'auto radiator' on real FW190's). Set Radiator to Closed for maximum speed (combat, escapes etc), but watch your temperature, the engine will overheat sooner or later depending on your power settings. Open the radiator as necessary (full open, with reduced throttle guarenteed to cool you down, barring damage). Supercharger automatically kicks in around 3000m, so good powerbands for the FW190 are: 0-1500m, 3000-6000m, anywhere else you are disadvantaged due to engine limitations. There is a manual overide on the engine RPM control, allowing for slightly higher RPM's (and supposedly more horsepower, which is realistically arguable). When in 'manual mode' the prop is a Cosntant Speed Prop (as P47, P40, La5 etc) and automatically adjusts its own pitch to maintain your RPM setting, there is an increase in heat production while doing this (higher engine RPM) so beware.

Tips in fighting with the FW190, there is another good thread by Kyrule (maybe Kyrule2? try a search), but the short answer; Speed is everything to a FW190, and; The best defense is a good offense. If you are going slower than an opponent you are immediately in trouble. ALWAYSE go fast. It is rarely necessary (or healthy) to make sharp, speed bleeding turns, only turn sharply if you are SURE to get the kill. Also remember altitude is just stored speed, so as long as you are above the enemy, even if he is flying faster (and he doesn't have enough speed to 'zoom' up to you), you are still in the correct 'combat regime'. Get good at high speed slashing attacks, practice practice practice gunnery. In a slashing attack, you only get a short firing window, make it count, then simply fly away (up, down, level, depends on situations and opponents, all are good) and setup up for another slashing attack.

The FW190 is an optimal airplane for group tactics (meaning team work), work with your wingman by staying together, shooting at the people chasing your friends (and letting them shoot the people chasing you).